9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
THX sound system

Does anyone have the THX system and want to comment on it? I heard one of the reviews which said it was excellent. Want to know if it is worth the extra $ and if it is as good as mid-level aftermarket system for clarity, volume (@11) and stereo presence? Would be interested in any feedback especially from those people who usually favor after market systems.

Thanks in advance for any good commentary!
post #2 of 32 Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
haven't heard anyone speak on it but have your checked out dealers that might have them to hear it for yourself?
post #3 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svo1 View Post
Does anyone have the THX system and want to comment on it? I heard one of the reviews which said it was excellent. Want to know if it is worth the extra $ and if it is as good as mid-level aftermarket system for clarity, volume (@11) and stereo presence? Would be interested in any feedback especially from those people who usually favor after market systems.

Thanks in advance for any good commentary!
I have the THX in a 2013 MKZ (and ordered it in my MKC).

If you want quality, clarity and brilliance in your music, THX is an excellent option. It is better than most music sources, so your music source will often drive the quality.

If you want tooth rattling sound sound. Loud. thumping bass. THX is not your best option.

All IMHO.

post #4 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
We ordered it on our MKC after sitting in an MKZ with the THX option and going to the MKC with standard stereo and listening to the same CD. The MKC standard audio does okay for a standard factory radio, but I think the THX audio will be worth the upgrade price. I found the sound difference was apparent even at low volume levels. The separation was much more noticeable, and highs, mids, lows all sounded crisper. I put the systems through the paces and the MKZ THX was loud enough for me. I had it well above any volume I'd ever normally listen to and did not hear any distortion, speakers bottoming out, or door panels vibrating.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Agree with above comments. Have THX in my 2011 MKZ. Listen to mainly Classical, Jazz and other instrumental as well as Jazz, R & B and Songbook vocalists. Love my THX system! Really brings out the detail, clarity, and depth even at higher volumes. Was pleased that a friend of mine who is a real audiophile was quite impressed when I first got the car. It was a no-brainer to order it in my MKC.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM

@KenZ great response on the thx system, i actually find that a lot of high end factory car audio systems are great.

it helps that they get sound engineers to work audio equipment into the cabin and choose what's best for it.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the input! It sounds as if they spent some time and effort to provide a true premium sound system and not just an average system with a premium name which is often the case. Once supply catches up at the dealers I will go in to experience first hand to see (hear) for myself.
post #8 of 32 Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
New THX not for everyone - beware!

I have a 2011 MKX with THX. LOVE the awesome sound and deep rich bass it puts out, really far better than any other factory sound system I've heard, and most people that hear it agree.

However, when I got into the MKC and turned up the new THX system, I was extremely disappointed ... no deep end whatsoever. I thought it was defective so tried another; same thing.

If you like deep bass, I suggest sticking with the standard premium stereo and save the $1000. The standard 9-speaker system has a subwoofer for deep bass response, surprisingly the new THX system in the MKC has No subwoofer.

I am in the car audio business, you simply cannot get any kind of descent bass response out of 6.5" door speakers - impossible, many speaker companies have tried, all failed.

So for what it's worth, if you like pure clean sound, with crisp brilliant highs, and don't care about bass, by all means go for the THX, it's an awesome system if that's what you like. But if you like the deep rich "boom" that only a subwoofer can deliver, stay away, you will be disappointed.

I ordered my MKC with the standard stereo, and was ready to dish out the $1000!
zerohertz and Jim O'Brien like this.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I like the THX II. I agree the bass is certainly not as good as a real subwoofer, but again it's not like I'd like to pump up the volume like I was a moving disco night club.

The THX II sounds system has cleaner sounds, appears to be more lively, and seems to be more centered. The bass is adequate and acceptable, but certainly not as impressive as with a real 12" subwoofer, of course. Overall, I like it.
rocmkc, TxTom and kwas4 like this.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-08-2014, 06:11 PM

i bet lining the interior with some sound deadening material would help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page