LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-17-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down The most annoying feature - Workaround needed

Ever need to get out of the car for a moment, with the car running, say to get something from your garage, hand something to someone, open the passenger car door for someone, brush snow off the car, etc.? We all do.

Do this with your MKC however (with the key fob in your pocket), and you get a lovely loud honk of the horn (to remind those that may walk away from a running car, forgetting to turn it off), and apparently there is no option to turn this off. Nothing like attracting attention when you're trying to be discreet or just mind your own business, you cannot. As soon as you close the door; HONK HONK!!!

This is complete insanity, and my dealer tells me there is no way to turn this off. Someone please tell me my dealer is wrong, and Lincoln is not this ignorant and insensitive to people's daily behaviours?
post #2 of 28 Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtmkc View Post
Ever need to get out of the car for a moment, with the car running, say to get something from your garage, hand something to someone, open the passenger car door for someone, brush snow off the car, etc.? We all do.

Do this with your MKC however (with the key fob in your pocket), and you get a lovely loud honk of the horn (to remind those that may walk away from a running car, forgetting to turn it off), and apparently there is no option to turn this off. Nothing like attracting attention when you're trying to be discreet or just mind your own business, you cannot. As soon as you close the door; HONK HONK!!!

This is complete insanity, and my dealer tells me there is no way to turn this off. Someone please tell me my dealer is wrong, and Lincoln is not this ignorant and insensitive to people's daily behaviours?

Shirtmkc - I agree with you on this. I have implemented my own work-around (which is really inadequate, but it's the best I can come up with). When I get out of the car in the situation you've described, I simply take the time to s-l-o-w-l-y close the door, without latching it so the HONK HONK does not occur. Ridiculous, but it works.

Similar issue: why do we have to receive a loud HONK when we hit the fob twice to confirm that the MKC is locked (I think we need to do this in order for the "approach detection" feature to work, though I could be wrong on that). Regardless, my 2004 Acura emitted a soft, high-pitched, tiny "beep" when I did this - you couldn't even hear it 20 feet from the vehicle. Now everyone in the mall parking lot gets to know I've locked my MKC. Even worse, my driveway positions my MKC right next to my neighbor's living room and bedroom window - so when I park and confirm the MKC is locked, they get to know that rocmkc has arrived home. As you said above, "nothing like attracting attention when you're trying to be discreet or just mind your own business."
post #3 of 28 Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My MKX horn honks, too. Rather have that confirmation then a "chirp" that Im might not hear.

post #4 of 28 Old 11-17-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEHIO View Post
My MKX horn honks, too. Rather have that confirmation then a "chirp" that Im might not hear.
You need a confirmation that your car is still running when you get out of it?
post #5 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Wife's Lexus makes a few "ding" sounds that are audible maybe 20-30 feet away, and are much softer than the horn. To me it's the ideal way to handle the situation.

Turning off the car is like muscle memory anyway, I have to think about what I'm doing to not turn it off before getting out of the car.

As far as lock confirmation, I actually like the horn for that so I can find my car in a lot or get confirmation if I've already walked pretty far away, but I can see your point. If you single press to confirm does it flash the lights instead of beeping?
post #6 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I just noticed this today. It obviously has always done it, so I guess it doesn't bother me at all.
post #7 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
rockmkc,

Couldn't you push the lock button inside the car before getting out of the car--so as to not disturb the neighbours with the honk?
post #8 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have an MKC and also a 2014 Ford Escape. By the way, they drive nothing like each other (if there are still any doubters who think the MKC is essentially just a rebadged Escape) but they both have the same "horn function" when closing the door with the engine still running while the smart key is no longer in the vehicle. The simple solution (weather and traffic permitting) is to leave the driver's door slightly ajar while you are temporarily outside of the vehicle and the annoying honk won't ever be an issue. That's what I've acclimated myself to doing and it works fine for me. Just wanted to share my experience.
shirtmkc and Sschr like this.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
rockmkc,

Couldn't you push the lock button inside the car before getting out of the car--so as to not disturb the neighbours with the honk?
OK, everyone -- I withdraw the complaint above. Guess I've just become a grumpy old man. Problem is -- after 10 years of using the "confirmation" lock process on my Acura (which resulted in a quiet "beep") -- old habits are hard to break. But it's a new car, so new habits will be developed.

Still don't understand the need for a HONK HONK but I promise -- I'll go away and you won't hear anything more from me about it!
post #10 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I leave the smart key in the vehicle and lock the vehicle with the keypad on the B-pillar. When I return, I unlock the vehicle with the keycode. I realize not everyone would be comfortable with that tactic, but no beeping.
sdcatgirl and 5.0 Candy REDCS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page