10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Brand New MKC - Dead Battery twice in less than a month

I bought my Lincoln MKC off the showroom floor with less than 100 miles on it. Took it home and about 8 days later went out to start it in the morning and it was stone dead. Had only been sitting for about 8 hours after driving for about 20 minutes. Called Lincoln Roadside, they jumped the car, it started no problem. Took the car to the dealership, they claimed it was a bad battery and switched it out.

Brought the car home and 2 weeks later it happened again. Went to the garage to start the car in the morning and it was dead, wouldn't even unlock the doors. Called roadside again, they jumped it and it started. Took it back to the dealership. They have had the car for 4 days but say there is nothing wrong with the car. The battery tests good, all their diagnostics show nothing. They are bringing it back to me today.

Has anyone else experienced this? What is going on with this thing. Way too expensive of a car to not be able to trust it to start up.

The only common thread is both times it happened, I locked the car with the fob (hit the lock button), left it sit overnight and tried to use the remote start in the morning.

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #2 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Emily,

I assume the dealer tested the system for any electrical draws on the system? As well is there any aftermarket items such as an alarm, remote starter, etc...?

And how often do you drive the vehicle?
post #3 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes they claim they tested it and found no electrical draws. I drive it daily. Both times it happened, I had been driving it the night before. I do not have anything on it after market - but it is fully loaded from the dealership. All the bells and whistles.

Last edited by Emily Elizabeth; 01-28-2015 at 11:25 AM.

post #4 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Garage
My MKC is also fully loaded and no issues.

Hmmm, no draws and nothing aftermarket. I wonder if they checked
for a parasitic draw once the vehicle sits for a long period of time?

As well you stated you locked it with the fob and tried the remote start
the next day. You tried to start with the fob, correct? Does it work
with the phone app? What if you lock it with the button on the
outside door handle, does it do the same thing?

post #5 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Make certain the key fob is not left near the car when the car is not in use. It may be activating the lights that go on when you approach the car...if it is locked. Or could be doing something else to draw down the battery. Some people have had the key fob hanging on something, near the garage door with the car in the garage, and have had battery drain problems.
post #6 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 02:33 PM

Garage
Good point TxTom. I bet this is the issue.
post #7 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My key fob is in the house at least 20 feet from the garage door. The dealer assured me that it would have to be within 3 feet to activate the car and it should run the fob dead long before the car.

When I get the car back I will try to just lock the doors using the button on the handle and will be turning off the approach lights as recommended on another thread.

They had the car for 4 days but I believe they did start it every single day. But the longest mine was sitting without being run or driven prior to being dead was 9 hours.

They told me "When it happens again, have them tow it to us, don't jump it". So even the dealer expects it to happen again. Makes me sad that they don't seem to care that it's leaving me stranded!
post #8 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have not had the battery drain issue that you are describing.

That said, the three foot standard mentioned by your dealer is not accurate. After reading other people's comments in this area, I realized one evening that standing at my kitchen sink with the fob in my pocket was causing the car to light up (on and off) in the driveway outside the kitchen window. It was definitely more than 3 feet away; at least 10, though I don't think as far as 20 feet as in your case. So it may be the fob, maybe not.

Sorry to hear of your issue; it would be unsettling not to know if the car will start every morning. Hope they can isolate the problem and resolve it soon for you.
TxTom likes this.
post #9 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My MKC went completely dead after a week of non-use. It would not jump start. I ended up putting a slow charger on the battery. After 15 hours of charging, it worked fine.

I found out the welcome lighting system caused the drain down. Our key fob storage for the car is about 12 feet from the vehicle. The on-going communication between the fob and car caused the problem. Lincoln has a special service message on this.

The cure is to turn off the welcome approach lighting on the dash panel or relocate the key fob farther away from the car. I turned it off. The welcome lighting now only works when I hit the unlock button on the fob or put my hand on the external door handle.

We have not had a battery problem since.
TxTom likes this.
post #10 of 56 Old 01-28-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GblancRetiree View Post
My MKC went completely dead after a week of non-use. It would not jump start. I ended up putting a slow charger on the battery. After 15 hours of charging, it worked fine.

I found out the welcome lighting system caused the drain down. Our key fob storage for the car is about 12 feet from the vehicle. The on-going communication between the fob and car caused the problem. Lincoln has a special service message on this.

The cure is to turn off the welcome approach lighting on the dash panel or relocate the key fob farther away from the car. I turned it off. The welcome lighting now only works when I hit the unlock button on the fob or put my hand on the external door handle.

We have not had a battery problem since.
Thanks GBLANC - how do I turn those welcome lights off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page