1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Not So Bright - LED "Signature Lighting"

In our MKC's we have what Lincoln calls Signature Lighting which is a curvy LED light adjacent to the HID headlights...not to be confused with the LED Daytime Running Lights in the bottom bumper. The LED DRL's are very bright (as LED's should be), but I have always felt that the LED Signature Lighting wasn't very bright at all, and during the daytime it's effect easily gets washed out - especially when it's a sunny day. At night when it is the only light turned on as you approach the car as part of the Welcome Mat experience, the Signature Lighting looks nice and bright - but that's because it's dark outside.

I just saw my first new MKX and the front lighting set-up is almost identical to the MKC except their Signature Lighting (same curvy design) is much brighter (like LED's should be) then my MKC and is VERY noticeable. Now I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my Signature Lighting? I'd appreciate some feedback on your signature lighting brightness & how you think it looks during the day, especially when the brightness is compared to the DRL's.

- Sapphire Metallic (Dark Blue) w/White Sand Leather
- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- Technology Pkg. & Climate Pkg.
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

post #2 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I have always thought the same.. wishing the light pipe at the base of the headlamp lens was brighter. And yes... when I had my MKX... again... agreed... much brighter.

But I don't think there is anything wrong. I believer the MKC to truly have what Ford considers a "Light Pipe" vs. the MKX has an active LED array. If you notice when you start the MKX.. that "accent lighting" actually transitions from inside to outer edge as it lights... kind of a motion deal. It can only do this because of the LED array inside the tube/pipe/chamber or whatever you want to refer to that accent channel of light. If you look at the 2012-2014 Edges they have a lame little Light Pipe in place of where a proper fog light should be. One of the mods us Edge guys did with those light pipes was to rip them out and replace them with a LED string.... and a guy actually started producing a great plug and play replacement for the Edge Light Pipe... these were so bright they would about light up the whole road.

Anyway.. I just posted a couple of videos where I was testing some LED turn signal bulbs in another post. The second video I adjusted the white balance way down while I the headlamps turned on. You can clearly see my 2016 "Accent Lights" in the video. Compare them to yours.. I would bet they are the same.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/ZgvK8TaM-64

-Rayo
post #3 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 AM

Also.. not that I am jones-ing to bake and rip open my brand new headlamp housings just yet.. but this is a great idea for a headlight mod. Bake the housings.. remove the back (open them up) rip out that stupid light pipe and replace with a string of bright LEDs. Heck while in there.. put a block of LEDs in the turn signal area... preferably switchbacks that you could power with the DRLs.

I had a 2010 F-250 Diesel Crew for a while.. the headlamps were abominably horrible... this was a very popular mod, to bake the housings, open them up and replace the halogen assembly with HID projectors. Many guys would add LED DRL strings in there and paint the reflector and housing area black... since with projectors the reflector was no longer needed.

Hmmmm... now you have me thinking.

-Rayo

Last edited by RayoVac; 10-08-2015 at 01:03 AM.

post #4 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 01:18 AM

LOL... yes its late, I am bored. You made me go out and take a closer look. While I would still maybe call it a light pipe, its different then the Edge. The Edge is a optical pipe with one LED at one end. On my MKC I can clearly see where there are multiple LED behind that lens. Now again.. not like the very closely spaced arrangement in the MKX active array... but certianly more than I thought would be in there.

I took some pics and video. Had to start the car, put a bright light over the sunlight sensor with the headlamps in auto mode. This killed the lamps in my dark garage and lit the accent lights, as you would normally have during the day. Of course my DRLs are not lit, because it was not in drive.

Not So Bright - LED "Signature Lighting"-img_6886.jpgNot So Bright - LED "Signature Lighting"-img_6887.jpg

https://youtu.be/zAo1O6SP1Xw

-Rayo
post #5 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, was just going to ask about the MKX LEDs... My 6 year old car obsessed son walked up to a MKX in the dealer lot and remarked about how different the headlights were...after he pointed it out I noticed more LEDs in the array or at least they stand out more.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoretti View Post
Yes, was just going to ask about the MKX LEDs... My 6 year old car obsessed son walked up to a MKX in the dealer lot and remarked about how different the headlights were...after he pointed it out I noticed more LEDs in the array or at least they stand out more.
Well keep in mind we are talking about the accent lighting pipe UNDER the lamps just at the very bottom of the housing.

The MKX will have one of two headlight assemblies. One with standard adaptive HIDs and the $4400 LED/Revell option that replaces the HID projectors with the LED segments. I believe both options maintain the same accent lighting strip (not completely positive).

It's this accent strip under the lamp that is very cool on the MKX, like its a 50 or more closely spaced LEDs kind of like: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| and based on the way they illuminate when you start the car... they have individual control as they kind of do a wave deal when firing up. Our MKX does have LEDs in that accent area... but maybe like 8-10 of them probably an inch or so apart from each other.

5 Seconds into the video below you can see how the look on the MKX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQyY259zJvQ

-Rayo
post #7 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Garage
yes, I'm pretty sure that's what he noticed and compared to my MKC.
Cool, love they way they light up.

You're not supposed to be saying anything good about the MKX to me :-)
post #8 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoretti View Post
yes, I'm pretty sure that's what he noticed and compared to my MKC.
Cool, love they way they light up.

You're not supposed to be saying anything good about the MKX to me :-)
LOL... well then how about, I heard a rumour there is another recall, for those fancy non-adaptive, adaptive headlamps" They claim they don't work right cause of all the LEDs in the accent strip is overheating the whole assembly.

Seriously though... I did see that there is an official recall now for the MKX much like the Edge for the A Pillar warping issues. And I love it, the dealer is instructed to collect your vehicle.. THEN order the parts... geesh... that a great way to deal with it. Booooo

-Rayo
post #9 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 PM

Garage
I like the "non-adaptive - adaptive" headlight description :-) That's better...
And ripping apart your brand new interior and headliner for an a-pillar that molding that can leak..no thanks,,already have a chopped up MKC LOL.
God what a shame, seriously.
Looking like we may have to push back our date to even 2019 at this point!
post #10 of 30 Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wow, I do enjoy the banter in both of your back and forth posts I agree with all that has been written, and although I commend Rayo for taking the time to post the video and photo's, the one inside his garage makes it look quite bright...like mine is, because it was taken in a dark environment. Where I am at odds with Lincoln is how it is not very vivid when the car is in daylight. So Rayo, if you are up to taking the same kind of photo's or videos in daylight I think you'll see a huge difference. It doesn't have to be a sunny day, but just not a very overcast day. Up close they may still seem bright, but as your distance from the car increases, the Signature lights starts to get lost in it's ability to be very visible. If you look closely at the signature light pipe, you'll notice that it is housed in a frosted enclosure while the DRL's are in a clear lens enclosure. I think that's what makes the DRL's much brighter then the Signatures. I'm no engineer, and am a first time Ford buyer, so what do I know? But my common sense tells me that both sets of light probably have similar size/wattage LED's, but it's the frosted glass enclosure that greatly cuts down on the light emitted by the Signature. Rayo, Moretti, your turn

- Sapphire Metallic (Dark Blue) w/White Sand Leather
- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- Technology Pkg. & Climate Pkg.
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page