Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
post #2 of 17 Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the link. Changes I can see so far:
  • standard audio has 1 more speaker (10 instead of 9)
  • hill-start assist is standard
  • embedded modem is standard
  • seats are 12-way instead of 10-way
  • some paint changes, including Ivory Pearl which is what I really would have liked for my 2017
  • dropped the Cappuccino/Espresso interior
It doesn't look like there will be any major styling changes before 2019.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.0T AWD
Palladium White Gold with Cappuccino Interior
Tech Package, THX and Towing Package
Built 2017-03-22
post #3 of 17 Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I figured the grill would have at least changed to match the Continental and MKZ, even at least like the Navigator.

2016 MKC Platinum Met Tri-Coat, 2.3L AWD, 300A, 18" Wheels Ebony Leather, Tech Pkg, Climate Pkg, THX

post #4 of 17 Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
2019 MKC will need a major and serious upgrade! The CUV/SUV luxury or non-luxury market is hotter than ever before. - Let's start from the bottom. A Chevy Equinox can be had with 252hp and 9 speed transmission with a 360-degree bird's-eye view. A Mazda CX-5 will have a twin turbo diesel 2.2L engine AWD @ 310 lb-ft with heads up display and dynamic LED headlights, and a 7 seat variant might be available against the new VW Tiguan. - If we go middle ground in the under $50k area, there is a bigger VW Atlas or a 2.4T Subaru Ascent. Let's not forget that for the money, a 3.5L V6 Hybrid is available in the Toyota Highlander. Then there's Acura... - If we go up, there will be BMW X2 M, BMW new X3 & M version, Audi SQ5, and Benz GLC43/63. So where are we now in Lincoln? A 2.7L on the MKX (only) for $60k, or a 285hp 6 speed auto on the MKC with no LED headlights, no heads up display, no 360 view, and no all-around tire pressure monitor for all 4 tires: it was ok back then, but not anymore now. I understand that Lincoln has just taken the steps 1-2. I hope that step 3 is better coming well in 2019 with greater offerings because the $30K, $40k, $50k bracket, and up to $60k are getting really saturated and blurred. - One must understand that it ain't no lux when you are on a Lincoln (top specs) and get passed by a pedestrian Ford Fusion Sp.... that has the 2.7L TT w/ LED headlights!
Bob Evans and 2015 MSM like this.

Last edited by psychoart; 05-17-2017 at 08:33 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Furthermore, a 2018 Volvo XC60 by comparison offers 3 grades: 250hp, 316hp, and 400hp "e" variant.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is great news. No major changes, either technical or styling for 2018. It will hopefully allow us to sell or trade in our 2015 MKC 2.3 in 2018 for a reasonable value. Our journey with Lincoln will come to end. While Ford/Lincoln has done an adequate job in delivering a quality vehicle, it's certainly not on par with other premier brands. The Lincoln dealer network has a long way to go before it can begin to view themselves as a luxury brand. Until they are a stand alone dealership selling only luxury brand vehicles they will never be seen as a premier network of dealers. Selling Ford Fiestas along side MKCs and other Lincoln vehicles does not a luxury brand make.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
You probably wont see a styling change until a model redo in 2019 (for MY 2020?)... I suspect it will follow the Ford Escape to a new platform since (if I remember correctly) the MKC will continue to be built at Louisville Assembly. There was some talk of moving the next MKC to Mexico but that was cancelled. Being joined at the hip with the Escape may limit some of the features/styling of the MKC.

2016 MKC
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat

Last edited by blankster; 05-18-2017 at 09:26 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppe View Post
This is great news. No major changes, either technical or styling for 2018. It will hopefully allow us to sell or trade in our 2015 MKC 2.3 in 2018 for a reasonable value. Our journey with Lincoln will come to end. While Ford/Lincoln has done an adequate job in delivering a quality vehicle, it's certainly not on par with other premier brands. The Lincoln dealer network has a long way to go before it can begin to view themselves as a luxury brand. Until they are a stand alone dealership selling only luxury brand vehicles they will never be seen as a premier network of dealers. Selling Ford Fiestas along side MKCs and other Lincoln vehicles does not a luxury brand make.
This.

We wanted to like the Lincoln MKC as much as we originally liked its looks/styling - which is looking dated now. But..the MKC just lacks the build quality, premium materials, features and more advanced/better drivetrains of the competition for the price they ask - just too much run of the mill Ford in it and too many cut corners. Agree, the dealership experience is not up to the level of the competition.

We are getting ready to replace our 2015 MKC and are actively shopping the competition in Canada. We recently test drove the 2018 Audi Q5, which felt much roomier and is far superior vehicle in every way. The new BMW X3 is coming out soon, which we are waiting to test drive. The current Acura RDX beats the MKC in every metric too. Sad to say, but I think Lincoln is more comparable to GMs Buick, not Lexus or Audi. The MKC just doesn't have the brand cache or re-sale value and is already on the small size for the compact SUV market - but is priced right up there with them.

As it stands now, we are going with the Audi Q5 (our second choice would be RDX). Here is the pricing breakdown we are looking at for Compact 'Premium' SUVs in Canada - MSRP only (no freight or other fees):

2017 Lincoln MKC starts at $43,300 for 2.0T, with top trim Reserve 2.3T w/tech package starting at $52,700

2017 Acura RDX 3.5l starts at $42,190, with top level Elite trim at $46,790 (RDX is larger and offers better performance with more standard features such as LED headlights and AccuraWatch, which includes Forward collision warning/braking, Lane departure warning and keeping )

2018 Audi Q5 2.0T starts at $44,950, with top trim at $54,200 (Q5 is larger and offers better performance - top trim includes virtual cockpit, LED headlights with washers, top-view camera, heated and cooled cup holders, more desirable 40/20/40 rear seats and the other typical tech stuff)

2017 Lexus NX 200t starts at $42,950, with top trim Executive at $54,750 (the top trim Lexus has LED headlights, wireless smartphone charging, power rear seat release buttons on dashboard and cargo area - plus all the other typical tech )

With the 2019 MKC, I think Lincoln needs to focus on being competitive with just Acura and copy how Acura packages it's RDX. What I think Lincoln needs to do to make the MKC a contender:

Stretch the MKC by at least 4 inches
Make the 285 HP 2.3l the standard engine (closer to 2.0T Audi Q5 & 3.5l V6 RDX performance)
Make LED headlights standard
Make heated rear seats standard
Make forward collision warning & braking standard
Make tire specific pressure sensor standard
Make two LED cargo hold lights standard (one each side)
Make rear seat releases in cargo hold standard
Make foot activated rear hatch opening standard

Then offer just two trims levels - with the above added standard features - and price competitively as follows:

MKC Select 2.3T starting at $41,900 CAD

MKC Reserve 2.3T starting at $46,900 CAD (Reserve trim adds Navigation, Adaptive cruise, BLIS, Vista Roof, ventilated front seats, rain sensing wipers, premium audio, front & rear parking sensors, top-view camera)

If they don't make these changes, they need to realize that they just don't compare well to the Q5 or RDX and re-price to compete in the subcompact market with the Audi Q3 which starts at $35,490 CAD and the BMW X1 which starts at $40,300 CAD. Actually, from what I've seen the BMW X1 is a better choice than the MKC, currently - similar size inside (maybe roomier in some respects?) and very nicely equipped with leather and premium package essential at $44,500CAD. Better performance than the 2.0l MKC, too

MKC sales have been poor this year in Canada (to Apr), without the new Q5 out. It wasn't a stellar success in the first place, but.

2015 MKC/White Platinum/2.0l AWD/101A

Last edited by asphaltcowboy; 05-18-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
== MKC sales have been poor this year in Canada (to Apr), without the new Q5 out. It wasn't a stellar success in the first place, but. ==

Actually MKC is up 8.5% YTD - 8,637 (2017) Vs 7,960 (2016) for NA.

2016 MKC
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #10 of 17 Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
MKC sales are down 12% YTD in Canada. They were also down over 10% in 2016 (yoy 2015). This in a growing segment of the market!

I suspect the US would have more 'brand/made in USA' loyalty sales - plus the US does have the cheaper FWD models for sale. Not in Canada, the MKC only comes in AWD and has to stand on its merits. NX/Q5/RDX are all outselling the MKC 3:1 this year up here. Dismal results for Lincoln.

2015 MKC/White Platinum/2.0l AWD/101A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page