6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Navigation (GPS) issue

My Parents took delivery of their new MKC last week, and overall they love it. But right from day one they have been having an issue with the GPS navigation system.

It frequently shows the MKC in the wrong location from where it really is. Either it will show them one street over, or on the same street, but one or two blocks ahead from where they actually are. This of course makes the directions wrong and useless. About 60% of the time it will show the correct location.

I know that their previous vehicle never had any issues driving in the same areas.

They did bring it to the dealer two days after buying it, but when they got there it was working fine so nothing was done. But the problem continues.

Anyone ever experience this? Is it working well for everyone else?

-Steven
Gerry likes this.
post #2 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Steven with our Ford C-Max with MyFordTouch (same as MyLincolnTouch) in the last couple of months we ran into a problem where the position icon was always off the road. Especially after we would make a turn, it the icon would be off in a field instead of the road or highway. We took it in and they did a master reset. I think there may have even been a TSB addressing the problems as lots of of C-Max owners had the same problem. I used my iphone to take a couple of pictures of the navigation screen with the icon being off course and showed it to the service dept. as proof of what was happening.
JefffromNH, Steven and Gerry like this.
post #3 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Laurel, was the master reset done by disconnecting the battery and running the headlights for a time?

Did the master reset resolve the issue of the gps position icon being off the road?

post #4 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM

Gerry I looked at the paper work and I they actually fixed it with the following TSB. It worked fine after. I think they didn't actually do a master reset as all of our favorites were still there, and generally they are lost with the master reset. A few C-Maxers had no resolution of the problem with the TSB and they had new GPS Modules installed. But here is the TSB that worked for us. 14-0037
TSB 14-0037

GLOBAL POSITIONING SATELLITE MODULE (GPSM) - NAVIGATION DISPLAY OFFSET OR INCORRECT POSITION BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/6/2014

Publication Date: February 21, 2014

FORD: 2013 Fiesta, 2013-2014: C-MAX, Focus, Fusion, Mustang, Taurus
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKS, MKZ
FORD: 2013-2014 E-Series, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-Super Duty, Flex
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKT, MKX, Navigator

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 vehicles equipped with SYNC® and/or MyFord Touch®, MyLincoln Touch® and built on or before 1/6/2014 may exhibit navigation display offset or incorrect position. The last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.

ACTION:

Reprogram the GPSM to the latest calibration using IDS release 89.02 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

OPERATION
DESCRIPTION TIME
140037A
Reprogram The GPSM Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 10E893 04
Last edited by DanMc85; 04-03-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Remove Advertisements
Sponsored Links
Gerry likes this.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Gerry I looked at the paper work and I they actually fixed it with the following TSB. It worked fine after. I think they didn't actually do a master reset as all of our favorites were still there, and generally they are lost with the master reset. A few C-Maxers had no resolution of the problem with the TSB and they had new GPS Modules installed. But here is the TSB that worked for us. 14-0037
TSB 14-0037

GLOBAL POSITIONING SATELLITE MODULE (GPSM) - NAVIGATION DISPLAY OFFSET OR INCORRECT POSITION BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/6/2014

Publication Date: February 21, 2014

FORD: 2013 Fiesta, 2013-2014: C-MAX, Focus, Fusion, Mustang, Taurus
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKS, MKZ
FORD: 2013-2014 E-Series, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-Super Duty, Flex
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKT, MKX, Navigator

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 vehicles equipped with SYNC® and/or MyFord Touch®, MyLincoln Touch® and built on or before 1/6/2014 may exhibit navigation display offset or incorrect position. The last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.

ACTION:

Reprogram the GPSM to the latest calibration using IDS release 89.02 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

OPERATION
DESCRIPTION TIME
140037A
Reprogram The GPSM Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 10E893 04
Last edited by DanMc85; 04-03-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Remove Advertisements
Sponsored Links
Laurel, thanks for this detailed and useful reply. Much appreciated!

I have an appointment at the dealer later today and will keep you posted.

Best regards,
Gerry
post #6 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Ours randomly does the same thing, infrequently. Glad to know there is a fix.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Remember to take a photo! With the C-Max, a photo was necessary as the service dept. seemed to ignore my concerns unless I had proof positive.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Remember to take a photo! With the C-Max, a photo was necessary as the service dept. seemed to ignore my concerns unless I had proof positive.
can't blame them, i used to work in a dealership and a lot of the customers are idiots. but clearly being on a forum, you're a different customer a much more well informed and engaged owner.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Voice recognition

I havent had the problem described but when voicing an address it get wrong address sometimes, maybe its my NY accent ?

Kenny
post #10 of 34 Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 PM

Good news. The issue is now resolved and our MKC Navigation works perfectly.
We took it to the dealer today. They ran computer checks and did a hard reset by removing a the negative battery terminal and running the headlights for 15 minutes. This corrected the map offset position problem. All the settings, favorites, etc were preserved.

The soft reset from the touch screen is intended for use when you sell your car to wipe out all personal information.

We took photos of the map offsets on the way to the dealer and they demonstrated the problem very clearly. The dealer will now report to Ford Engineering who are very sensitive to any problem with this new model MKC and want reports for all problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page