Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Trip of a lifetime in our 2015 MKC

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bruce 
#1 ·
My wife and I just completed a lengthy, 7,771 mile trip from Indianapolis throughout the Pacific Northwest and down through Utah and elsewhere (17 states). I could spend many pages describing this amazing trip but my purpose here is to brag up our 2015 MKC! It performed flawlessly the entire time and was the perfect vehicle for the two of us as we spent 34 nights on the road. It accommodated our two suitcases, cameras, 2 chairs, cooler, goodies box and purchases as we visited 14 national and state parks. We averaged 27.7 mpg with the 2.0L ecoboost engine that was very sufficient at 240hp! I was especially pleased with the "sport" setting and how easily it handled steep mountain roads - and we were on many (Glacier NP, Olympic NP, Mt. Rainier NP, Arches NP, Capital Reef NP, etc.!). I enjoyed driving the twisting hairpins and switchbacks in "sport" setting. On the open plains, it was back to "drive" in the "normal" mode. Again, a pleasure! As literally "first adopters (July of 2014), we are 3 months way from retiring our 39 month lease. We have recently driven just about everything that might suit us but we keep going back to the MKC and how well it suits us and our lifestyle as recent retirees. We've driven over 13,000 miles in the last 9 months taking our retirement tour of America in our MKC and have determined that another MKC is definitely in our future! Looking forward to it!

#2 ·
We are almost retired and have done some shorter trips from Chicago and feel the same way about our MKC... Planning on a longer trip this fall out to Maine via Toronto and back!

#11 ·
Something I forgot to add, we did an east coast trip through 14 states in mid-October of last year just 2 days after my wife retired. We went at the "peak" time for fall and had a great trip, ultimately staying in Bar Harbor, Maine for 6 days. On our return to Indy, we tried to stay off of the interstates as much as possible (US2 was spectacular!). That trip was 2,900 miles - a great length trip - and averaged 27mpg. The MKC may be the perfect travel SUV for couples!!

#3 ·
I am retired, and I bought my MKC in January with just this purpose in mind (comfortable travel vehicle). Unfortunately my wife decided to work another year, so my MKC spends most of its time in the garage right now. I've had it over 6 monthse, and only have 3400 miles on it. Hopefully that will change next year.

#8 ·
Mr. Mike, as I said to blankster, don't hesitate if possible! I had to wait that extra year you are speaking of because my wife didn't retire when I did and again, "life" tried hard to intervene on our trip but we persevered and did it!

#9 ·
Hey Cruiser, we just turned over 34,000 miles. I have been amazed at the consistency of that "little" 122 cu. in., 2.0L turbocharged engine. As a former "gear head", I was very reluctant in the beginning - but I was so wrong! This is a great engine!

#5 ·
Bruce:

We are planning a trip to Colorado in late August / early September and looking forward to driving our Lincoln through the Land of Lincoln, on the Lincoln Highway and staying overnight in Lincoln, NE. We visited Colorado and returned home on this route nine years ago but there is so much more we want to see.

Did you use regular or premium fuel to get your mpg figure. Also, what oil change interval have you followed?

#10 ·
MKC4ME, I learned early with my MKC that the difference between regular and premium is negligible in virtually every way but cost! I used regular the entire trip, often using 85 octane versus the typical 87. If I had been pulling a trailer I may have used premium but we were lightly loaded. I might add, we were on some very steep roads - my wife would say treacherous and scary - quite a bit and there was literally no felt difference at any altitudes. We were above 8,000 ft. several times too. We stayed above 6,000 ft. For over a week (I live at 800 ft. above sea level - don't you just LOVE fuel injection?!). Another observation - front wheel drive was absolutely fine in every situation we encountered! Also, I change oil every 7,500 miles.

#6 ·
I have done 4 trips in my 2015 MKC - 2 trips to Pittsburgh (2000 km return), a trip to Kansas City (4200 km) and a trip to Thunder Bay, ON (2600 km). It is a pleasure to drive, very comfortable, lots of power when needed and my legs, hips do not get sore as they did in previous vehicles I have owned.

#7 ·
Blankster, don't hesitate! With 5 active, young grandkids, we almost let "life" change our minds about our "epic" trip! So glad we didn't buckle to the demands of the family. You just don't know what next year will bring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.