Lincolns Average Sales per Model - Lincoln MKC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lincolns Average Sales per Model

While Lincoln is constantly catching flack for their lower sales volume than most if not all luxury marquees I thought we could have a look at sales volumes in a way that might pitch Lincoln in a new light.

See Lincoln currently only retails 5 models (6 when MKC comes online), compare that with Cadillacs 9 or Mercedes 18 and you can begin to imagine where this is going.

February 2014 average sales/model:

Infiniti: 9,729/9 models = 1,081 sales per model.

Lincoln: 6,661/5 models = 1,332 sales per model

Cadillac: 13,437/9 models = 1,493 sales per model.

And now to compare 2013 sales/model with Audi, BMW and Mercedes:

Lincoln: 81,694/5 = 16,338 average units per model

Mercedes: 334,344/18 = 18,574 average units per model

BMW: 309,280/16 = 19,330 average units per model

Audi: 158,061/15 = 10,537 average units per model

Although obviously the one caveat is margins. As margin multiplied by volume equals profit, and by that Lincoln still has a long way to go in terms of goosing their transaction prices upwards. But I still find this information encouraging...
post #2 of 7 Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
never looked at it this way before

audi sure doesnt sell very many cars per model. does that mean they have too many models?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-03-2014, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The margins are definitely the missing piece of this puzzle, but I would say that having a lesser number of models that all sell quite well is better than having many models that have okay sales. If we judge by that metric than Lincoln isn't doing the worst.

Even if a model doesn't sell as well as another though, it doesn't mean that it is bad for business. This gives a good idea of the strength of the whole lineup but I don't think it tells us anything too explicit about how the business as a while is doing.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter090 View Post
The margins are definitely the missing piece of this puzzle, but I would say that having a lesser number of models that all sell quite well is better than having many models that have okay sales. If we judge by that metric than Lincoln isn't doing the worst.

Even if a model doesn't sell as well as another though, it doesn't mean that it is bad for business. This gives a good idea of the strength of the whole lineup but I don't think it tells us anything too explicit about how the business as a while is doing.
no i cant give you hard facts but you dont need hard facts to figure certain things out. Consider that Lincoln likely has some of the lowest overhead int he business. All their vehicles are able to be produced at a low cost alongside Ford's mainstream models. Not even Lexus can make that claim as they have several Lexus Exclusive platforms.

But don't discount the importance of volume. What this does explicitly tell us is that Lincolns crucifixion based on low sales numbers is not always what it seems, many of the complaints are attributed to a lack of models in competitive spheres... As in Lincoln MKC entering the hottest segment in the country
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
This is a good point. Once Lincoln puts models into the most popular segments they should see the average sales per model grow even larger. If this line of thinking is correct than Lincoln could be better set up for the future than many think.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can definitely tell the german brands are more than happy to have a model for every need. seems like mercedes is leading the pack with the most number of models.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfball View Post
you can definitely tell the german brands are more than happy to have a model for every need. seems like mercedes is leading the pack with the most number of models.
Yeah it's a good move too. it comes at a time when they want to expand into different nations, so it helps a lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page