Lincoln is on a roll ... - Lincoln MKC Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lincoln is on a roll ...

Thanks in large part to the hot-selling MKZ (4,000+ units), Lincoln turned in a great February - moving just a tick under 9,000 cars. Yes, the market picked up in general, but Lincoln was up 35% over February, and up more than 31% over March 2013. The momentum is building just in time for the release of the MKC, which should easily push Lincoln over the 10,000/month threshold. Cadillac sold over 5,400 SRX's last month (!). How many MKC's do you think Lincoln can sell? Assuming a successful launch, 50,000 to 60,000 a year seems very reasonable. I'll be surprised if the MKC isn't Lincoln's top selling model by this time next year.
HotRod is offline  
post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
humpty dumpty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Thanks in large part to the hot-selling MKZ (4,000+ units), Lincoln turned in a great February - moving just a tick under 9,000 cars. Yes, the market picked up in general, but Lincoln was up 35% over February, and up more than 31% over March 2013. The momentum is building just in time for the release of the MKC, which should easily push Lincoln over the 10,000/month threshold. Cadillac sold over 5,400 SRX's last month (!). How many MKC's do you think Lincoln can sell? Assuming a successful launch, 50,000 to 60,000 a year seems very reasonable. I'll be surprised if the MKC isn't Lincoln's top selling model by this time next year.
agreed fully!

I think 50K is a good benchmark HotRod especially when you consider what the rest of the market is doing.

2013 Sales

RDX: 44,750
X1: 26,512
X3: 30,623
GLK: 32,553
Evoque: 11,405
Q5: 40,355
XC60: 19,766

If MKC has even a sliver of the appeal the new Escape has had I don't see who is going to stop it. Although I will add that the Merceds GLA and Q3 when they eventually launch are going to be quite the stiff competition. Same goes for the NX, if people take to it like they have the RX it could run away with the segment..
humpty dumpty is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
50,000 would be more than all of the models that you just listed above. Do you really think that that is possible? I was thinking that it would be more in the low 30,000 range. If it got up to 50,000 than the MKC could be just the right thing to catapult Lincoln back into the big leagues.



Hunter090 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow very good sales from Lincoln
golfball is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I wonder whats next for them.
What would you guys like to see from Lincoln?

Im starting to think something compact, even more compact than the MKZ or MKC can do well for them



DeMarco is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter090 View Post
50,000 would be more than all of the models that you just listed above. Do you really think that that is possible? I was thinking that it would be more in the low 30,000 range. If it got up to 50,000 than the MKC could be just the right thing to catapult Lincoln back into the big leagues.
I do think it's possible. In fact, I won't be surprised if the MKC becomes Lincoln's top selling model. The MKZ is selling well and gaining momentum, and it's doing so despite lukewarm reviews and styling that isn't for everybody. Unlike the MKZ, the MKC's looks have been nearly universally praised. I also think it hits the sweet spot for both size and pricing. At this point we can only evaluate the car based on the information we have, but on paper it flat kicks butt. If they get the dynamics right and figure out a way to market to a younger audience, I don't see how it can miss.
humpty dumpty and TxTom like this.
HotRod is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
I do think it's possible. In fact, I won't be surprised if the MKC becomes Lincoln's top selling model. The MKZ is selling well and gaining momentum, and it's doing so despite lukewarm reviews and styling that isn't for everybody. Unlike the MKZ, the MKC's looks have been nearly universally praised. I also think it hits the sweet spot for both size and pricing. At this point we can only evaluate the car based on the information we have, but on paper it flat kicks butt. If they get the dynamics right and figure out a way to market to a younger audience, I don't see how it can miss.
I just think of a car like the Mazda6. It got rave reviews from everywhere and is a great car, but it hasn't sold as well as expected. Mazda is a smaller brand, not one of the big mainstream ones. I think that there is some unknown factor and also a momentum factor. If people are not flocking to Lincoln now, I can't see them doing that just because of the MKC. If the MKC doesn't sell as well as you think it should, it won't be the MKC's fault, it is just a matter of the whims of the masses.



Hunter090 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter090 View Post
I just think of a car like the Mazda6. It got rave reviews from everywhere and is a great car, but it hasn't sold as well as expected. Mazda is a smaller brand, not one of the big mainstream ones. I think that there is some unknown factor and also a momentum factor. If people are not flocking to Lincoln now, I can't see them doing that just because of the MKC. If the MKC doesn't sell as well as you think it should, it won't be the MKC's fault, it is just a matter of the whims of the masses.
I see your point. But look at the 6's competition ... Camry, Accord, Fusion, Altima, Sonata, Optima, Legacy, Passat, Malibu, 200 and any others I may have missed. There really isn't a bad car in the lot, and most of them are priced very aggressively with incentives, rebates and/or special financing. The 6 has been well received among enthusiasts, but not so much among the masses. And unlike nearly every other car in the class, there is no engine upgrade available; plus there's no AWD or hybrid version available. There is simply not enough to separate it from the other offerings. Simply put, the 6 is marketed to a small segment of a large market.

In the near luxury-to-luxury crossover segment, we're dealing with far fewer direct competitors, and half of them suffer from reliability and/or dealer customer service issues. Those shopping for value and/or reliability may avoid the Europeans. The RDX is probably the closest direct competitor on price, at least until the NX arrives, and they sold about 4,600 in March. If you've looked at the RDX you know they are missing a LOT of luxury features. The MKC simply blows it out of the water on features and technology. The SRX continues to sell well despite it's age. In fact, the SRX is Caddy's best selling model. The Q5 and RX are the top selling models for their respective brands as well. If Lincoln follows suit with the MKC, it will have to sell at least 40k/year just to outsell the MKZ.

Or maybe I'm full of sh!t. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
humpty dumpty likes this.
HotRod is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the mazda cx5 sells pretty well and it would kind of compete with the mkc
golfball is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMarco View Post
I wonder whats next for them.
What would you guys like to see from Lincoln?
I'd like to see them separate the brand even further from Ford. The Europe-only Vignale line might provide some opportunities. For example, I think some Lincoln sheet metal on the S Max Vignale would be a great idea. It wouldn't be a high volume model, but it would target the younger audience Lincoln covets, and it would be totally unique from anything in Ford's US dealerships.











HotRod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome