LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-11-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ford Cougar?!?!

I'm currently traveling in China and am amazed at the increased number of Western vehicles (U.S. and German) since my last visit in 2008.

Walking past the parking area in one factory, I saw what looked to be a Ford Escape. When I told my host that I owned a similar vehicle, he replied that this was the Ford Cougar. Or at least that's what I heard. When I saw one one the road the next day, I realized that it is the Ford Kuga. So much for bringing back the classic namesake from the 60's.

I've seen a few MKX vehicles but no MKCs so far. There is no doubt - capitalism is taking over. Every worker wants to buy a car and have the latest consumer electronics.

2016 MKC Reserve in White Platinum
2.3L of turbocharged goodness and rollin' on 20's

Build Date: 4 NOV 2015
post #2 of 5 Old 11-11-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yeah Kuga thats an Escape its a well known secret. Huge seller in the rest of the world, Same thing with the EcoBoost engines until recently they were all built in Spain and imported. In the last few years production was shifted to the US for the US market. The MKZ is built in Mexico did you know that?

2016 MKC Platinum Met Tri-Coat, 2.3L AWD, 300A, 18" Wheels Ebony Leather, Tech Pkg, Climate Pkg, THX
post #3 of 5 Old 11-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Ran a factory in the Guangzhou area for several years.
The number of Western and Japanese auto factories has increased significantly since the mid 90's as the demand/sales of autos now exceeds the US.
GM has been in the Shanghai area for years building mostly Buicks but adding more brands every year. Bought of number of Buick vans which were reliable transportation and also forced into duty hauling molds between factory's - pretty tough on the suspension but they survived.
Understand the primary driver behind the Escapes change to the 1.5 liter eco-boost was to comply with China's tax/licensing break for <1.5 liters. Demand drives the marketplace.
China is indeed run by a one party government but the business side has been very capitalistic for years and continues to alter the entire landscape.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-13-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Saw another Kuga today near Shenzhen and got pictures.

Hey Toymaker, we may have used some of the same mold shops. I've been in at least 15 between Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Some more memorable than others...

2016 MKC Reserve in White Platinum
2.3L of turbocharged goodness and rollin' on 20's

Build Date: 4 NOV 2015
post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Toymaker, we may have used some of the same mold shops. I've been in at least 15 between Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Some more memorable than others...[/QUOTE]

Some are memorable for the wrong reasons
Built >5K molds/yr internally but outsourced many due to peak loading, size limitations, etc
China molds have come a long way in quality/durability. Used to need to import Japanese, US or German steel but done very seldom today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page