7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2017 MKC Dead Battery

1 month and 500 miles. Then one morning battery is dead. Jump started and charged battery--turned off welcome lighting. Battery voltage fell from 13.2 volts fully charged to 12.9 volts overnight. Took to dealer---they cannot find any problem yet. It either has soon intermittent power draw overnight OR the software controlled charging system is not charging the battery enough. Only 13.4 volts at 3000 engine RPM.

VERY DISAPPOINTING FOR A NEW CAR.
post #2 of 34 Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
OR, it's simply a bad battery. A small number of new batteries fail very early. Insist that the dealer do a full battery load check. Or pull the battery out yourself and take it to an auto parts store which does free battery checks.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-30-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Dealer claims battery load tested OK. One overnight test showed amperage draw..second overnight test showed normal. My guess is bad body control module...but apparently somebody at Ford tech needs to approve.

post #4 of 34 Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 AM

Garage
Here is another data point for battery issues from a 2016 MKC owner.
Purchased in January, drove 7700 miles since purchase never a battery issue until July 18th. Similar issue as was reported in the other battery thread. Drove the car on the 17th, sat in the garage for 12 hours and then bam, completely dead car.
AAA comes out with test gear, battery reads 4.7V severely depleted. Jump start and run the car for 15 minutes. Then we shut the car off and the amp draw was 2.8amps. There were no lights or instruments on, nor any welcome lighting. Walked around the car in a closed garage to make sure. Then I moved the FOB 60 feet away and when I got back from the walk the meter started to trail off from 2.8amps down to 0.77amps. Coincidence that the large draw stopped after the FOB was moved? I'm not sure.
Moving the FOB back to 6 foot away did not cause the current draw to increase.

AAA tech had to leave so that was the end of my test. I put a charger on the battery and now I am good today. We'll see.
I do wish the car would be able to flag these large current draws from the battery and alert the owner. Would be nice if the lincoln app showed a discharge while the car was off.
post #5 of 34 Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Actually, the app will show "low battery".

(Formerly) 2015 MKC 2.3 AWD Reserve
Midnight Sapphire Metallic - White Sands/Espresso interior
THX | Tech Pkg. | Climate Pkg. | 19" Wheels
Build date: July 2014
post #6 of 34 Old 07-20-2016, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillimerica View Post
Here is another data point for battery issues from a 2016 MKC owner.
Purchased in January, drove 7700 miles since purchase never a battery issue until July 18th. Similar issue as was reported in the other battery thread. Drove the car on the 17th, sat in the garage for 12 hours and then bam, completely dead car.
AAA comes out with test gear, battery reads 4.7V severely depleted. Jump start and run the car for 15 minutes. Then we shut the car off and the amp draw was 2.8amps. There were no lights or instruments on, nor any welcome lighting. Walked around the car in a closed garage to make sure. Then I moved the FOB 60 feet away and when I got back from the walk the meter started to trail off from 2.8amps down to 0.77amps. Coincidence that the large draw stopped after the FOB was moved? I'm not sure.
Moving the FOB back to 6 foot away did not cause the current draw to increase.

AAA tech had to leave so that was the end of my test. I put a charger on the battery and now I am good today. We'll see.
I do wish the car would be able to flag these large current draws from the battery and alert the owner. Would be nice if the lincoln app showed a discharge while the car was off.
That is a drastic drop of amp. An app more than a low battery would be useful.
post #7 of 34 Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I had the same dead battery issue at 1500 miles; battery was fine. Was caused by a system glitch that drained the battery. A software flash fixed the issue. No problems now; it's been 3 months.
kksam56 likes this.
post #8 of 34 Old 07-25-2016, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Gary - do you have any details on the software flash?? We have a 2016 that died a couple days ago. The local dealership is just Ford and we usually have to take the solution to them then they find it. Anything you have to share would be great!!
post #9 of 34 Old 07-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccart View Post
Actually, the app will show "low battery".
The Lincoln App never said a word about the battery being low.
Battery Voltage: Normal throughout.
I did get a oil life warning from the app after the battery was re-charged, had negative percentage for a little while, then popped back up to 25% which is accurate. Not a peep about the battery, though.

It has been working normally since the time of my last post. Keys are in the same place (on a wall behind the air handler for the central air). Welcome lighting is still set on for approach.
post #10 of 34 Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
90% of the time, I blame it on a bad battery.....just because they are new don't matter much, the next thing I would look at is the placement of the FOB....my garage is quite a distance from my house, an easy 100 ft... just saying.
kksam56 likes this.

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page