LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Our date night drive

We wanted to drive an MKC for several hours, including at night, and our dealership declined because their policy is that a salesman must come along. So, we asked about date night, and after first telling us we had to go to some website, our salesman figured it out and did whatever was necessary to get Lincoln to issue an invitation. Which they did, within a few hours.

At the dealer we'd seen a Reserve MKC, which the dealer had told us belonged to Lincoln, not to the dealer. Well, we went through the formality of talking to the date night hq on Thursday, and were able to schedule that vehicle for pickup Friday evening. We were given a choice of returning it Saturday evening or Monday morning. Due to other commitments for Monday morning, we chose the shorter drive. We spoke to the dealer's date night coordinator Friday morning, and he said "It's out front, all gassed up, come in anytime". So we picked it up early.

Now my wife's current car is a 2007 Lexus RX400h, and she likes it a lot, but mileage is near 100k and it doesn't have current tech. So that's the basis for our observations. And please don't think we're being overly negative when we particularly note what we see as shortcomings, as it's overall a very good vehicle. {spoiler alert; at the end we'll have a purchase decision)

This car had been sitting in the sun for hours, so although it was white over white it was hot inside. My wife started it, we turned on the a/c seats, and long before the salesman's quick intro our seats were thoroughly cooled down.

Gas pedal was a good bit more sensitive than our Lexus, but my wife got used to it fairly quickly. It drove well, was pretty quiet, although we wondered if there would be a difference it it didn't have the optional 19" wheels. We never for a moment thought it needed more power.

Adaptive cruise worked well, but we were very disappointed that it was not the newer-technology full-range type that can stop without intervention and resume from stopped. That type also has better collision avoidance. It's a shame that Lincoln's effort here isn't as good as a Jeep Cherokee.

Lane departure tech works well, too. Just don't try to get the steering wheel to vibrate by steering over a line -- it's too smart for that. But if you just let it drift gently over the line it works.

Backup camera has guidelines that turn with the wheel, which is good, and even has a center line which would be useful for lining up with a trailer.

We LOVED the fact that many of the places you hear warning beepers on other cars, here there are melodious chimes. We won't be unplugging the "tailgate is closing" signaller like we finally did on the beepy Lexus.

We didn't get around to trying autopark. The front and rear park assist works, but Lincoln could make it far better by copying Cadillac's SRX, with its excellent visual display of distance and position. One annoyance was the inability to turn down the volume of the front park assist.

My wife, her sister, and I went out to dinner on Lincoln. I got to spend a half hour in the back seat each way. The rear seats aren't as comfortable as our Lexus, but they're ok. Leaning the rear seat back a bit felt better than the default position. The rear seat ac airflow was pretty weak when the front ac wasn't blowing hard.

One last grumble: We've read that Lincoln wants to sell more cars to women, and they've gone and designed a center console that can't hold any purse bigger than the sort of dainty handbag taken to the opera. There's a pop-up tray that blocks half the opening, and I've already told my wife it will be gone within hours of our taking delivery of an MKC.

So, yeah, we've ordered one. FWD Silver Sand over White Sands, reserve, technology, ccd, climate, THX. Dealer took $1000 off the top before any offers and gave us the upper end of what I'd expected for the Lexus, so we're happy with the deal.
post #2 of 18 Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
great to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves!

Quote:
One last grumble: We've read that Lincoln wants to sell more cars to women, and they've gone and designed a center console that can't hold any purse bigger than the sort of dainty handbag taken to the opera. There's a pop-up tray that blocks half the opening, and I've already told my wife it will be gone within hours of our taking delivery of an MKC.
But this, I've never known anyone to put their purse IN the center console...
post #3 of 18 Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The Date Night program is a great idea of Lincoln's. I mean even if you don't end up purchasing the MKC, it's great to get to drive the car and Lincoln gives you money for dinner. How can you complain about that?

I'm sure Lincoln is over the moon that they poached a Lexus customer. Congrats on the purchase. When are you going to receive your MKC?

post #4 of 18 Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice!

This speaks very well for the Lincoln. While it's not necessarily trying to be an RX since it's supposed to be on the sportier SUV side, it is impressive that you found it comparable or better in what was important to you.

How did you feel the ride was compared to the Lexus being that Lexus tends to dominate in being a comfy cruiser?
post #5 of 18 Old 07-16-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpty dumpty View Post
great to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves!
But this, I've never known anyone to put their purse IN the center console...
So if your lady is driving and you are in the passenger seat, where would your lady put her purse?

Our station wagons, and later minivans, always had room on the floor. In the Lexus RX there was room on the floor if the console was slid backwards, but she preferred it in the forward position. With its hideaway doors retracted it's very easy to place a non-massive purse inside, with her sunglasses case (in one of the purse's side pockets) readily accessible.

When my wife sat in the MKC she had to put her purse in the passenger seat. She was not impressed by this, and noted that if she ever had to stop quickly her purse would likely find itself on the passenger floor.

Actually, I'm going to do far more than just get rid of the pop-up tray, although I'll do that first. It's looking like I'll do some serious reengineering. My first thought was just to have it hinge on the side, but now I'm thinking the console can be mostly open since we never close the one on the Lexus But there will be a front section which can slide forward enough to move the elbow rest point closer to the steering wheel. Our Lexus has full armrests so we'll compensate for the lack of them in the Lincoln, at least for the driver. The elbow rest will need to slide so it can be back out of the way when we are using both cupholders.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-16-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxocarnut View Post
Nice!

This speaks very well for the Lincoln. While it's not necessarily trying to be an RX since it's supposed to be on the sportier SUV side, it is impressive that you found it comparable or better in what was important to you.

How did you feel the ride was compared to the Lexus being that Lexus tends to dominate in being a comfy cruiser?
Please note our 2007 RX400h is the second generation RX. 2010-2015 is the 3rd generation, and the 4th will be out in 2016 apparently joining new MKX and SRX models along with a new XC90 that will be available as a PHEV. If we hadn't decided that MKC & Jeep Cherokee were "big enough" we would have had a tougher decision.

As to ride, the MKC was close to the Lexus. The one we had had 19" wheels at the recommended 35psi, while the Lexus is currently on very nice 18" Goodyear Comfortred Tourings at 30psi. Ours will have the Reserve 18" wheels, and we're ordering the Computer Controlled Damping just because, so we're expecting a very comfortable ride. Wind noise was noticeably less.

Re sportier, the current RX can be sporty-fied and upcoming NX is, well, certainly appealing to those who like that sort of design. Wherever Lexus is going with that they are certainly all in. Meanwhile the MKC is solidly in the "refined" column.

BTW, our original plan was to wait to drive the NX before choosing between the Cherokee, MKC and NX. After the date night drive my wife asked if we really needed to wait to drive an NX. There was obviously only one acceptable answer...
post #7 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Glad to hear your date night went well.

I've been watching the forum and eventually was persuaded to register so I could see pictures. I am in the process of setting up a date night as the local dealer does not have a date night vehicle yet. It's an extremely smart idea, though. I think the direct marketing experience will be very effective and probably some of the best money Lincoln will spend.

I'll put it this way. My wife, probably like most people, is much more brand aware than she is regarding specific features, especially when comparing between cars. When I mentioned the MKC as a potential replacement for my current ride (I am looking at pretty much everything in the segment), her reaction was more or less why would you buy a Lincoln? Are you being serious? Now that I'm setting up a date night and she knows all the stuff we get for free I can see she's already decidedly more neutral towards Lincoln.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg021 View Post
I'll put it this way. My wife, probably like most people, is much more brand aware than she is regarding specific features, especially when comparing between cars. When I mentioned the MKC as a potential replacement for my current ride (I am looking at pretty much everything in the segment), her reaction was more or less why would you buy a Lincoln? Are you being serious? Now that I'm setting up a date night and she knows all the stuff we get for free I can see she's already decidedly more neutral towards Lincoln.
That mirrors us. It's her car and her call, but I'm the researcher/advisor, and can say no to some of the possibilities. For example, the Acura RDX, Audi Q5 and BMW X3 never made the look-at list because they are missing so much safety tech and/or ventilated/cooled seats. If we'd gone a size up, I would have recommended against both the (current) MDX and SRX due to CUE and buttonless MyTouch.

Frankly, if it was going to be entirely my car, I would likely have chosen the Jeep Cherokee for the better adaptive cruise and collision avoidance. But choosing the MKC and taking a pass on the NX were entirely her decision.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
That mirrors us. It's her car and her call, but I'm the researcher/advisor, and can say no to some of the possibilities. For example, the Acura RDX, Audi Q5 and BMW X3 never made the look-at list because they are missing so much safety tech and/or ventilated/cooled seats. If we'd gone a size up, I would have recommended against both the (current) MDX and SRX due to CUE and buttonless MyTouch.
Preaching to the choir. Given the niche driving features BMW has like Hill Descent Control, they could at least put some cooled seats in there. You know, something I'd use every day in the summer as opposed to something I would probably use once just to prove I know how it works.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
Frankly, if it was going to be entirely my car, I would likely have chosen the Jeep Cherokee for the better adaptive cruise and collision avoidance. But choosing the MKC and taking a pass on the NX were entirely her decision.
For a while the NX was the front runner for me. My wife has an IS so we're already familiar with Lexus. I really like the F-Sport exterior, but as details about the performance and packaging have come out it's fallen back to the pack. A lot of cool stuff has been left out of the US market, and the packages are too restrictive for me to get exactly what I want. I have an Excel spreadsheet comparing features, and once the US Specs hit I had to go and change a bunch of green positive cells in the NX to neutral or red.

Last edited by sg021; 07-17-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page