Washing & Cleaning The C - Lincoln MKC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Washing & Cleaning The C

Sorry, this post may be long because it includes a few different subjects all related to keeping the C clean.

Topic #1 - I am anal about keeping my cars clean, have hand washed them when needed, or at the least every 7-10 days, wax them every 60 days and the interior stays spotless at all times. I've followed this routine for the past 35+ years with good success. I have never come across a problem area that I could not get clean. I am well aware of most of the products on the market, and since my cars always looks so good, friends tell me I should make a little money on the side by Detailing other peoples cars.

However, I don't have the need to clean the inside of the windshield as often because it doesn't get very dirty in there and it's a bit back breaking to do.

However, a few days ago when the sun was low in the sky and the car drove directly in the sun I could see a number of smudge marks that were undetectable when the sun was at any other angle. To make a long story short, I tried every product imaginable to clean the inside of the windshield and the haze/smudge marks got worse and worse as if some foreign substance was already on the glass and I was smearing it across the windshield making it spread. From conventional glass cleaners to learned tricks such as using coca cola and newspaper to cut the grime, to using every type of cloth including microfiber, nothing took away the growing haze/smudge from the glass. It was definitely on the inside and all I can think of is that somehow something happened when the car went through the assembly line that got on the glass. I am at a loss and turn to you all who have always come up with interesting fixes for vexing problems. Help please!

Topic #2 - Whenever my cars have received light scratches or small chips in the paint (generally on the hood) I've always used touch up paint and no matter how careful I am, it never comes out blending well. You can always see where the touch-up was applied. The bigger chip, the worse. Since the C has such a nice long and swooping hood, I've already collected a few chips right up front as the hood swoops down to the bumper. I did some research and tried a new and slightly more expensive product called Dr. ColorChip. I looked at their web site and videos about how it works and was skeptical but thought it was worth the try. I can report to all my C friends here that this really does work as advertised. A few days ago I used it on 4 small chips and one small scratch, and under the most intense viewing, you cannot tell where the fix was made...the touchup is invisible to the naked eye. My car seems to have an abundant amount of gold flaking in the metallic paint and I thought there was no way this stuff could possibly match it, but it does! Amazing stuff for about $40. I recommend you look it up on the web.

Topic #3 - I recall someone else posting about how the C continues to drip water out the back end well after washing and drying the car. Since I wash my car often, this is a real pain in the ***! I've had many different makes and models of cars over my lifetime and always hand wash & dry them and have never had such a frustrating experience as with the C. Water seems to build up in many different nooks & crannies and crevices all around the rear hatch area - only. Yesterday I had dried the car, put it in the garage, dried the rear hatch area 2 or 3 more times, waited 10 minutes, came back and found more water streaked down from around the license plate area...dried it again...waited 10 minutes, dried new water again, and this equaled about 30 minutes since the car had originally been dried and was sitting in the warm sun for about 10 minutes. I finally went inside for the night, came out the next morning to see dried water streaks down the rear hatch and bumper area. I realize this is just how the car was made and the engineers certainly don't think about this when they design their cars...but they should. If anyone who hand washes their C often, has come up with a solution, please let me know.

Ok, I'm done for now, thanks for your patience and consideration.

- Sapphire Metallic (Dark Blue) w/White Sand Leather
- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- Technology Pkg. & Climate Pkg.
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

post #2 of 9 Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Ok DK...trade secrets for you seeing it's your birthday:
The ONLY thing I use on my glass is a product called Invisible Glass....it's a foam,no ammonia and does an outstanding job.....we can buy it here through Canadian Tire and most dealerships carry it.I apply it using a specially designed applicator with a handle that swivels and pivots and the material that touches the glass is microfibre. I finish the glass AFTER it has throughly dried and I use a clean microfibre cloth that is new and bone dry.
I agree with you on Dr colour chip... been using it for years and it's the only thing I have ever used.
When a chip happens in a pearl coat like mine, I usually use a factory touch up paint, but use a small piece of ice cold wax paper immediately after I apply a micro drop....drop the paper on top right away and run a credit card lightly over it, only once...it flattens the paint perfectly and becomes 100% invisible.
This is how I prepare the paper: I cut a few small pieces approx 2" square, place them inside a food type left over plastic container and stick them in the freezer for 15 minutes....walk up to the car with the container still tightly closed,then apply the paint, and immediately take one piece, lay it flat waxed side to the paint ....grab the card and do a single swipe to flatten and then remove the paper....by being cold it does two things, it cures the paint rapidly and at the same time flatten it....I have used the Dr Colour Chip on my Mustang which has a candy apple red paint and I cannot find the repaired touchup....in the case of the C the paint is a lil thicker so I use the wax paper approach!
This one is the easy one....I wash,then grab my air hose and starting from the top I work the air stream down toward the back making sure the air stream is pointing in the crevices.....half way down I open the hatch all the way and repeat this, I especially take particular attention with the rubber seals and inside crevices, close it up again and continue blasting the air down the entire car...it's after this ONE step that I will use a chammy to dry the car with a streak free motion....always doing long linear swipes as I'm going along.....there you go, Happy Birthday!

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Happy Birthday!!! How come my family didn't give me any presents?
I am aware of Invisible Glass, it's sold at most auto stores in the US. I used to use it but saw no advantage over other cleaners so I stopped buying it. However, with this nasty problem and your strong vote for IG, I'll try it again...heck, I'll try anything!

For drying the car I've used the California Water Blade for many years and it's worked great for me. Once you get the hang of it, it works fast & easy and won't scratch the car. I don't have an air hose but you gave me an idea that should work almost as well...I'll use the leaf blower with the narrow ended attachment. Mine is electric, so I'll have to run an extension cord and it's a little more work then one should have to do, but it certainly beats the heck out of going around the car time after time to get that final stream of water dry. Thanks, and since it's my B-Day, I guess you'll send me each of the above items as my present

- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM

LOL, they're all in the mail.....I'm not sure why the IG has not yielded excellent results , I would not use anything other than IG on all my automotive glass...they had a liquid form way back...it was crap the white foam newer one is what I use...
I had a bad experience with the blade....something relatively hard did not somehow get washed away on my SRT4, ended up creating a top layer coat scratch, some 5 " long....I was able to buff it out, but stayed away from it after than.
Using a leaf blower works too, just make sure you go over it first with a fine plastic bristle brush and knock out any debris out of the intake ports, usually on either side on the blower....OR I could just buy you a compressor and mail it to you LOL ( don't hold your breath tho) hehehe!
The problem is water pooling in the crevices and rubber seals...and it does build up as more water accumulates to those spots, then you move the car and the back end is just like a river again.
Water streaking due to this generally does not happen if you took the time and waxed the bodywork.I usually wax once monthly....
Interior, beyond the very obvious...washing the mats outside the car and letting them dry then go over them with a non slip Armour All....then going over that thin coating with a clean rag to remove any trace that might make them a lil slippery...I usually vacuum the entire area with a fine bristle head starting from the headliner,down to the seats,door panels and finally the floor( crevice tool)....it's amazing what a good vacuum pulls up. Then I go over the interior with a slightly damp chammy ( always synthetic, because the natural hide over time begin to break down leaving lil specks of the hide all over,very obvious on a black interior ) I also use leather conditioner after I am done cleaning.
I NEVER ever smoke in any of my cars, EVER!...hate the smell and the nicotine sticks like crazy glue to glassed surfaces amongst other things...I bring this up, because it is quite possible you have a somewhat small antifreeze leak within the heating, cooling system....that usually is a tall tale when you have something on the windshield that is very hard to remove...happened to my truck last year, was a heating hose with a minuscule pin hole and the inside smelled sweet....you could almost taste it just getting inside the truck, just saying!

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.

Last edited by 5.0 Candy REDCS; 02-07-2016 at 08:45 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
My Problem.
I used Meguiar's Ultamite Interior Detailer on my dash & i got some overspray on my Plastic in front of the speedometer.
Now i can't get these spots off the plastic.
Any Suggestion's would be greatly appricated.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok 5.0, you can get my birthday gift next year Good tips...good points and I think the IG may have been a spray because it was some years ago, so I'll give it another try. No smoking - ever, and my car certainly doesn't smell sweet (actually it's just losing that nice new car/leather smell), but I'll keep that in mind if nothing else works. I normally clean my leather every couple of months but since I (stupidly) opted for the white leather I'm cleaning the leather more often. But the white interior with the blue metallic does look spectacular when clean and shiny.
Regarding the CA Blade, there is no doubt that you have to be careful...after each swipe, I give the blade a quick wipe with a cotton towel and have it down to one continuous motion so it's a very quick job , and I'm always on the lookout for any type of foreign substance. But I'm happy to say that after about 15 years, 4 different cars and hundreds of washes - so far, so good.

- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

post #7 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgnr View Post
My Problem.
I used Meguiar's Ultamite Interior Detailer on my dash & i got some overspray on my Plastic in front of the speedometer.
Now i can't get these spots off the plastic.
Any Suggestion's would be greatly appricated.
Back to Black is the product you need.

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Honestly DK....shop around for a decent compressor...they really are not that much,especially for your needs,tops a couple hundred bucks.....the one I have a Pro Husky is actually a full size unit,almost 5' tall and runs multiple air lines for multiple hydraulic jacks and other stuff....
I use another compressor for my brad nailer and that was like $130 goes up to 200psi....just a suggestion!
I used to swear with a wiping rubber blade till this happened to me...I used mine for many years and over a lot of cars as well....somehow I missed a minute piece of granite that was unneeded in the wiper skeleton, fell out as I was doing a pass and got between the bland and the body...the rest is history! lol
When your MKC is stone cold, open the hood and take a close look at the anti freeze level....it should be plum in line with the full mark...just to be sure!
Crazy as it seems, I actually stop get out and have a butt...but I will NOT smoke ( or let anyone smoke ) in ANY of my rides....honestly I just never did, I hate the smell of stale tobacco in cars!

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 PM

Here you go:
Mastercraft 5 Gallon Air Compressor | Canadian Tire

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page