• 5 Post By midnite cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
10 Things to like with the 2016 MCK

1. The Engine. The 2.0 turbo seems to be both quite adequate power wise and fairly smooth. It feels like a good piece of technology for a basic FWD set-up. I have heard good things about the 2.3 AWD as well, but have not spent time in one of the higher end AWD models.
2. The exterior styling. The car really does have unique lines, shapes, and forms. While there is some resemblance in overall size and shape to an Audi Q5, the MKC has a distinctive face and tailights, and a nice fluid expression along its sides.
3. The exterior size. This is not a large, tall, wide SUV. It is easy to park and a reasonable all around car in rural or city environments. The interior is nicely sized and comfortable. Just a bit elevated and slightly upright vs the seating of most sedans. Easy to get in and out of - nice human height.
4. The keyless entry and start features are very convenient. Dual memory for two different drivers has been a big help. Mirrors fold when parked, and unfold and set to memory according to which key is used.
5. Navigation system seems relatively competent. Sometime voice command requires repeat or corrected input, but as far as these systems go - it's not bad.
6. Uh . . . all window buttons auto down and auto up. That's handy.
7. I'm out of things to like.
post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
10 things that I definitely DON'T like about the 2016 Lincoln MKC:
1. The steering! The feel and feedback through the steering wheel is bi polar psychotic! It is either near numb or pulling with a mind of it's own. The car in question does not have the "lane keeping" or "self parking" features - just the new standard "state of the art" electronically boosted system without too many additional interferences - the baseline all around steering system for this model. Around town speeds and road imperfections totally throw it's electronically boosted responses into spasms. Hit the brakes when approaching a yellow light and HANG ON! The wheel can pull hard left or right depending on any bumps, side slope, or crown of the road. It takes so much constant effort to keep this car in your lane while going down the road - it's scary. Without a doubt - I would call it dangerous! The worst steering I've ever felt. The dealer has checked all components and alignment issues several times and says, repeatedly, that it is performing normally. But compare the MKC to almost any other car out there, and you'll be amazed at just how BAD it really feels. Steering? Totally inferior for a modern car. If Lincoln was going for a sporty road feel - they got a crazy blithering electronic idiot instead. FoMoCo should fire these steering software imbeciles! Better yet - put them in an Audi - or a Mazda - and teach them what good steering feels like. Bet they'll yank the wires, sensors, and modules out themselves and stomp on them. This whole system needs to go back to development!
2. Goosey gas. Unlike the steering, this driver input that can be gotten use to, but it has a sort of hyper sensitivity that can be annoying until you do. Again - compared to almost any other car, the MCK's throttle response - way too significant in the first 1/4" of pedal travel - will often lurch you. If it's your only car - less of a problem. But be prepared to dial in your right leg muscles if you only get behind the wheel of the MKC once in a while from your other ride. Some cars are slow to respond to basic driver inputs. This car has the opposite problem - and that goes for the brakes too.
3. Touchy brakes. MCK brakes will slam you at first. They are fairly numb, and transmit almost no variance or feel in their resistance till you really get on them. You really have to feather them in slow traffic as they are very grabby. Too much power is applied with too little pressure.
4. The build quality. Exterior shut lines seem a bit wild. Although the cars shape is nice, the transitions and alignment challenges that come with it are a bit beyond the engineering prowess committed by the FoMoCo to achieve them. Study a Lexus body anything (or even a lowly Corolla), and you'll see what I mean. The "D" pillar (between the rear doors and the hatch) shows an oil canning stress imperfection consistent from vehicle to vehicle. The full width hood can shake up and down (pancake bounce) indicating substandard stiffening. The interior trim to the left of the start switch / gear selector arrangement lifted off from the top - dealer had to fix. Other interior trim is real metal - not painted plastic. Why don't things match up. LED lighting feature above the glove box is meek. Effort without the payoff. Electronic dash compass only knows 8 actual direction angles - no big thing, but unrefined. The passenger mirror often unfolds into a fit of repeated clunks at the end of its travel - like it thinks it should spin 360. Eventually it stops. Never does it for the dealer - of course.
5. Lousy seats! The drivers seat in our car had a asymmetric lump in the lower right back which caused soreness after about 30 min. of driving. I finally forced the dealer to get me a loaner, and correct the bad seat before I would take the car back following a regular service. They did manage to improve it quite a bit, but only after completely rebuilding it. The seat bottoms in general are too short and the padding to hard for long term drives. The rear seats are also too small for reasonable adults even though there seems to be room to make them slightly larger. Rear passengers will suffer from a firm lump right at the tailbone. Overall - an iffy comfort level for long trips.
6. That stupid shifter arrangement. At first the pushbuttons seem modern and retro at the same time. Then you realize they are all about the same. Same size, same color, same type marking. You have to LOOK at them to make sure you're engaging the transmission correctly. You'll curse them when, while rolling forward at ever so slight a speed, you hit P instead of R, and slam the car to a stop instead of gently engaging reverse (say while maneuvering to park the car). You'll also curse them when you take your foot off the brake just after you think you've hit P only to realize you actually hit R, and you're in reverse instead of holding still. This too can be gotten use to, but there is no possible tactile or muscle memory to count on like with a center shifter that can be operated just by grabbing and moving. You have to LOOK at the buttons. Seems convenient enough. In reality - more inconvenient than you think.
7. Poor ride quality. This car - without the more expensive adjustable suspension - is very economy car feeling. The spring is extremely quick and bouncy, and the damping from the struts and shocks is week. The resulting ride is jittery and, coupled with the inferior steering, make it a handful on moderately rough roads. A better, more refined ride quality is certainly possible, and expected in this price segment. Put the Ford suspension guys in a properly dampened and well controlled riding car to learn a thing or two about refinement.
8. Small fuel tank and lackluster gas mileage means you better like your gas station. You'll be seeing it a lot. The 15.5 gal. tank and barely 20 mpg (real around town) means barely a 300 mile range. While highway mileage can approach 30 mpg, (most instant readings are usually around 27 mpg at 60 mph), the car is quite thirsty around town. Use the turbo, and "phhhht", the gas gauge drops like it's monitoring an untied water balloon. Regular mixed driving has consistently hit 20 to 21 mpg. Very disappointing. Never have we seen the average 24 of the factory sticker. Expected much better out of a 2.0 FWD.
9. Bumbling transmission. As good as the engine is, the tranny can bumble the car forward while in bumper traffic - the smooth engine idle choked by the drive train like Homer ringing Barts neck. It can also slam between coasting and throttle (that goosey gas pedal) application at moderate speed like an old school bus with a worn u-joint. It's worst around town. Freeway speeds, as with most other systems, brings some smoothness to overall operation - as long as the freeway is freshly paved.
10. Steering wheel buttons and sunroof control. This may be nit picking, but they are not well designed or well thought out. They only look nice. The outward buttons for cruise control (left) and audio controls (right) are stuck on with sharp edges and corners, and cheap looking. The quad tilt buttons in the steering wheel spokes for car info are much more refined feeling, but used far less often. I use the cruise buttons all the time, and reminded of their cheapness with every touch. Like the shifter, you have to look at sunroof controls to see what to do. The buttons are not that intuitive. They're just buttons without motion or action indicative what they actually do. And that goes for the shade control as well. The shade for the glass roof has to be completely open for the sunroof to operate at all. We thought we'd like the big glass roof feature, but poor output on the rear seat AC vents, and the steep angle on the navigation screen mean we usually keep it all closed due to sun heat and glare.
10.1 Poor sound quality stereo.
I could go on, but the fact is that, for us, this was the worst car we ever choose to spend time with. The test drive had us impressed, but the reality of life with this car was overwhelming disappointment. The pros - things we liked such as size and convenience features - can be had on most other cars. In that sense, Lincoln deserves credit for at least keeping up in a few ways with the competition. But the cons were just too numerous to tolerate - ESPECIALLY THE STEERING - and well, we returned the car at month 28 of our 36 month lease. Good riddens! Picked up a nice low mileage 2015 Audi A4 to replace it. Soooo much happier now. If you like to drive cars that relate to the road well - don't buy an MKC. Much better choices are all around.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I just want to add that I'm not here to just hate on the MCK. We really wanted to like this car - just found it was unlikable for us. My only objective is to pass on real owner experience to other owners who may have concerns, and to potential buyers so they can check these issues, and make an informed purchase. For many buyers who are happy with their MKC - good for you. I'm glad to know you like the car, and I hope you keep liking it.

Don't let my experience dampen your enthusiasm. The things we found troublesome with the car are not things that everyone will be troublesome to everyone. I still like the look of the MKC whenever I see one. They are holding a limited popularity over other similar cars, which make them a bit more unique on the road. Something I liked as an owner. There's way to many BMW's and CRV's out there. Enjoy your unique ride.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
RubyRed2016:

How could you have 28 months on a 2016 MKC lease? Production of the 2016 model year started around June 15, 2015 - less than 25 months ago. It sounds more like a 2015 Premiere model.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.0T AWD
Palladium White Gold with Cappuccino Interior
Tech Package, THX and Towing Package
Built 2017-03-22
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed2016 View Post
I just want to add that I'm not here to just hate on the MCK. We really wanted to like this car - just found it was unlikable for us. My only objective is to pass on real owner experience to other owners who may have concerns, and to potential buyers so they can check these issues, and make an informed purchase. For many buyers who are happy with their MKC - good for you. I'm glad to know you like the car, and I hope you keep liking it.

Don't let my experience dampen your enthusiasm. The things we found troublesome with the car are not things that everyone will be troublesome to everyone. I still like the look of the MKC whenever I see one. They are holding a limited popularity over other similar cars, which make them a bit more unique on the road. Something I liked as an owner. There's way to many BMW's and CRV's out there. Enjoy your unique ride.
You sound like a troll, somehow feeling the need to join here just to post a inflammatory topic under the guise of a positive thread. And then you referred to the vehicle as MCK...
post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
So you didn't do enough research, screwed up, and took a hit dumping your MKC. Sucks to be you.

Enjoy your Audi A4. They are nice vehicles. My advice would be do dump it by 60K miles unless you want to develop a close relationship with your dealer or repair shop.
ddsski likes this.

2016 MKC Reserve in White Platinum
2.3L of turbocharged goodness and rollin' on 20's

Build Date: 4 NOV 2015

Last edited by Fauster; 07-10-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
RubyRed, that is quite a lot of keyboarding as you exit MKC ownership. I think over time and miles every car digs its niggles into you more.
I agree with your list of positives. Many of us would add:
-CCD
-leather quality
-does not require premium
-excellent headlights (hardly a given these days)
-quiet
As to your downside list-
-Steering- for me and probably most of us, this may be the first electric power steering vehicle we have owned. I would rather have fluid power steering as well, but the whole industry has gone away from it. So the real question is whether the MKCs is notably worse than its peers.
-Brakes- 'touchy', I actually like them the way they are.
On these two items, Car and Driver in its 2015 review said-"As with most electric steering systems, the MKC’s is shy on road feedback, but there’s plenty of caster-induced self-centering to minimize the need for constant corrections, and the steering weights up nicely when turning in to a corner. Also, the MKC’s brake pedal is firm, with confidence-inspiring response."
- Goosy gas- throttle tip in is quick, but far smoother than my wife's S60. We are all driving by 'wire' today and I check this off like electric PS as a barrier to driver interface change we are all stuck with now, no matter what vehicle. I have seen no review that dinged the MKC for this.
-Build quality- the hood is an engineering matter and many of us would agree with you there. As far as assembly=build issues, I have not noticed anything, but professional reviewers into measuring panel gaps might convince us of shortcomings.
-Lousy seats- Many of us would like more seat cushion under thigh in the fronts. But I have over 50K miles, and a couple 2000 mile excursions, and have always been able to mix and vary adjustments for comfort. Rear seat- Really? we all knew it was tight when we bought the car.
-Poor ride quality. I have CCD and will not comment on Premier suspension.
-Shifter- this did not sneak up on you. I will agree that a 3 point turn is easier with a shift lever.
-Transmission- I don't suffer lags and snaps anywhere near like seem to bother you. Again, never saw MKC dinged for this in reviews- but the 8-9 speed boxes many here think are going to be so great are regularly called out for searching and lagging. Right - software has to predict what you are doing. BTW, I would buy MKCs forever if they did a 6 sp manual ( I miss my Lincoln LS 5sp)

So I appreciate your depth of commentary, but overall, I don't find your critique deeper than some of your personal preferences or commentary applicable to most modern, electro-computer heavily controlled cars. I plan to drive my MKC well over 120k miles and many years.

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No kidding! And get off my lawn. Yikes.

Formerly known as mojo

2017 MKC Select
Burgundy Velvet Metallic/Cappuccino
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Funny how vehicles impact some folks. I've only had my 2015 for ~6000 miles, but continue to be impressed with the OVERALL GOODNESS Lincoln has engineered. After instructing for the past several years, I have learned that there are good drivers out there. Some know they are good and others don't. In the opposite vein, there are many folks that I start instructing at the track that are fundamentally quite sound while some drivers that think they know it all and blame the vehicle for THEIR shortcomings. Audi brakes, at least the TT I drove, are very grabby . Pedal modulation is a skill. HINT.
Base suspension can't be that bad as reviews say its pretty close to our CCD normal mode which is outstanding without the uber firmness the Germans feel is necessary. Sport mode gas pedal response is a weakness and I'd like 10% more steering firmness when getting on it, but for highway cruising, it is much more relaxed than the uber stiff steering my 2011 X5 had. Gas tank should be 2 gallons larger TBH. Build quality is best I've seen in an American car....period.
Go ahead and support the biggest criminals in the automotive industry. The MKC certainly looks better than ANY Audi ever made IMHO. I love just pulling in and hitting the start button and exiting!!! That extra space is NICE!! This vehicle has put American car dealers back on my list.....and I had climbed my way to the near pinnacle of the industry with Range Rovers which to be fair, are in a completely different league of quality, esp with a tuned 3.0SC that is putting down ~460HP and 420tq!! while being 400 lbs lighter than the 5.0SC!!! So I do know how to play.

2016 Range Rover Sport HSE
2015 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.3 AWD
2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S
2008 Isuzu Ascender LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page