• 1 Post By copbait
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Unread 02-11-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Speedometer Calibration???

Has anyone noticed if their speedometer is off? I first noticed it when traveling on the hwy using the Waze app. We would set the Cruise control at 75 mph and the waze app would show 70 mph. So I checked the speed using the app in my 2011 Tahoe and they both matched the speed of 75 mph. I then asked a buddy of mine who is a police officer if he would check my speed using radar. A few days later he checked it. The first run I set the cruise control at 70 mph and his radar (yes it was calibrated) read 65 mph. On the second run, I set the cruise control at 75 mph and his radar read 70 mph. I took it to Lincoln and to have it checked. Subsequently, we were given a 2017 MKC as a loaner and the speedometer and waze app matched speed (go figure). Told them everything I did here in this post. The service advisor looked at it and called me back the next day and said that the error in the speedometer was "within the tolerance" of Ford Manufacturing and that there was nothing they could do. This doesn't seem right. I mean, this is a $59,000 vehicle. For that price, I deserve to know what speed I'm going and that it's correct. And 5 mph off at 65-80mph is a little high I would think.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA

2015 MKC Reserve
Silver Sand/Hazelnut
RSVR EQP GRP 102A
2.3 Ecoboost AWD
THX Sound System
19" 5 Spoke Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
post #2 of 9 Unread 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 2015 speedo is in Kph (Canada) and the dial is off (higher) by about 4 Km at faster speeds. My digital is right on. Haven't figured it out and I am too dismayed that a supposedly upper class vehicle would not be right. I hate anything that doesn't function properly and have keen desire to fix it.
post #3 of 9 Unread 02-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I would be pissed if my speedometer was 5mph off on my MKC.
Somebody higher up, (district rep) would be hearing from me.

Jim

2018 Reserve, FWD, purchase date 8/3/18
19" Wheels, Tech pack, Climate pack,
Sound THX, Pearl Ivory tricoat, Cappucino with Expresso trim Interior
2.0T, Sync3

post #4 of 9 Unread 02-12-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph.d.thomas51 View Post
Has anyone noticed if their speedometer is off? I first noticed it when traveling on the hwy using the Waze app. We would set the Cruise control at 75 mph and the waze app would show 70 mph. So I checked the speed using the app in my 2011 Tahoe and they both matched the speed of 75 mph. I then asked a buddy of mine who is a police officer if he would check my speed using radar. A few days later he checked it. The first run I set the cruise control at 70 mph and his radar (yes it was calibrated) read 65 mph. On the second run, I set the cruise control at 75 mph and his radar read 70 mph. I took it to Lincoln and to have it checked. Subsequently, we were given a 2017 MKC as a loaner and the speedometer and waze app matched speed (go figure). Told them everything I did here in this post. The service advisor looked at it and called me back the next day and said that the error in the speedometer was "within the tolerance" of Ford Manufacturing and that there was nothing they could do. This doesn't seem right. I mean, this is a $59,000 vehicle. For that price, I deserve to know what speed I'm going and that it's correct. And 5 mph off at 65-80mph is a little high I would think.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA
I have a 2019 equipped like yours (2.3, 19 inch wheels) and my speedometer at actual 65 MPH (both digitally and the analogue version) reads 67 MPH. Tire pressure is right at 35 PSI. Have only 900 miles on it so Michelin tires are almost new. So maybe they improved the accuracy on recent model years?
post #5 of 9 Unread 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Question number one: do you have the original rims? and same size tires? If they are not the same then your MPH can be off.

I would get an official speedometer spec of tolerance from ford documents or corporate vs taking dealership's word.
5.0 Candy REDCS and symetry like this.

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,
post #6 of 9 Unread 02-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone tried to use the calculator to "fix" the hex decimal in the BCM. Here is a link to the calculator, you will need basic as build modification experience and the associated ELM and forscan.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...EqU/edit#gid=0

BTW you need to do a PCM relearn usually if you do this (according to the F150 forum) I have had to do that with modification of programming of the BCM.

I have not attempted this so, do at you own risk.
2015 MSM likes this.

If you don't first mess up you will never learn.

Last edited by copbait; 02-17-2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: correct web address
post #7 of 9 Unread 04-13-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, original Rims and factory size tires but they are not the factory brand...they are Falken tires. I'm no tire expert but they are the factory size so there should not be any variation and if there is, I wouldn't think that the spec would be far off enough to create a 5mph difference.

2015 MKC Reserve
Silver Sand/Hazelnut
RSVR EQP GRP 102A
2.3 Ecoboost AWD
THX Sound System
19" 5 Spoke Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
post #8 of 9 Unread 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
FMC and the dealer have to live in a litigious world. Most often speedos will read a bit fast so people are less likely to get nailed in speed traps. Would not be surprised if FMC likes +5%.

I make continuous process machinery (fabrics) and never will you get two 'speedometers' to agree. There are simply too many variables (underlying tech, slippage, wear, etc.) to let this happen.
Commenters have already pointed out the wheel/tire/inflation/etc. variables the MKC speedo sees.

NOTE FMC does NOT put speed on the GPS/NAV. Why? They would never agree and the Forum would be loaded with 'how come' threads. Your Waze is obviously a third technology, cell location.
I agree 5mph for your car, if police verified, is a bit high- I would expect about ~5%. I bet if you had the tires fully inflated or a different tire/wheel combo, this would drop.

That said, I would like to know another car manufacturer that can dealer tune speedos to suit every customer permutation.
You can make yourself nuts with this.

But you are very knowledgeable now about your MKCs setup and can drive accordingly.

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait View Post
Has anyone tried to use the calculator to "fix" the hex decimal in the BCM. Here is a link to the calculator, you will need basic as build modification experience and the associated ELM and forscan.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...EqU/edit#gid=0

BTW you need to do a PCM relearn usually if you do this (according to the F150 forum) I have had to do that with modification of programming of the BCM.

I have not attempted this so, do at you own risk.

The spreadsheet was close but after a lot of trial and error I came up with 09ED for my vehicle and it corrected the mph dial speed to match Garmin, but it doesn't correct the Kph. I use the digital Kph in the centre of the dial one as it reads same as Garmin, Torque and OBDLink programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List