• 4 Post By HCFX

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High Mileage MKC's

It's been a minute since I've posted on here.

I am a RSM who is on the road daily, my car is essentially my office. I bought the MKC new in December of 2014 and initially leased it for two years so I could write the payment off. I set it up with a very low buyout so I bought it out.

I bought the MKC with concerns. It was one of the first models of the first year of a brand new model from a domestic brand, it had a turbo 4 cylinder engine putting out a lot of power for its size which brought longevity concerns, etc. Why I bought it over a german brand or Lexus/Acura knowing I was going to be putting a lot of miles on was because it's a Ford product so I could have it serviced or repaired at any Ford dealer in remote areas, and it shared a lot of parts with other Ford products so there should be plenty of part availability if something goes wrong after warranty. I chose it because it had a very unique premium look & feel to it inside and out with the ease of service that domestics are known for. That, and I really loved the look when it came out and still do love it.

I just clicked over 296,000km/184,000mi today and the MKC is still going strong daily. It has had it's odd problem and quirk here and there (listed below) but on the whole I have absolutely zero complaints with how this ride has held up over the last 5 years and almost 185,000mi. It's been a comfortable and reliable SUV and I would 100% buy it over again! The only complaints I have is noise and fuel economy. Even with newer better tires than factory I still find it noisier than it should be, and the fuel economy from the 2.3 is pretty horrendous for it's size. I find myself filling the tank at least once every 3 days, I have filled it twice in a day once. I'd like to see a larger fuel tank, but I still find 19-21mpg highway pretty bad for an SUV this size considering I've had a few full size Ford pickups that average 18-20mpg, as does my 2016 MKX 2.7.

Here's what has broken and what I've had to fix:

-Oil changes every 8,000km-5,000mi
-Tire rotations every 16,000km-10,000mi
-Changed transmission, PTU and rear differential fluid every 30,000mi
-OEM 20" tires swapped at 40,000mi, I have run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's since then with good results.
-Leaking clunky front struts changed under warranty at 40,000mi, the replacements are the same ones I have now with no issues, all other suspension is stock other than tie rod ends and sway bar links.
-Brake pads done every 40,000mi or so, rotors have been replaced once and resurfaced once.
-Spark plugs & coils done at 60,000mi, again at 120,000mi and again at 180,000mi.
-Front CV axle was clicking at 110,000mi so I had both front axles replaced.
-Sway bar links done at 140,000mi
-RF wheel bearing was making noise at 155,000mi so I had both front wheel bearings done.

Other than routine maintenance that pretty much brings us to today. Currently my a/c is not working, I need tires again and my brakes are getting down there again. Those are really the only things wrong with my car right now other than a couple rattles. The a/c will be diagnosed this week and if it's anything major I may look into getting into something new as it also needs tires & brakes. It's probably only worth about $5k on trade as it sits so I'm not really interested in putting a couple grand of work into something that's worth that little. I really like Lincoln's latest product in the Corsair and Aviator so I wouldn't mind checking either one of those out!

5 years with a great ride!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6527.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	5587  

2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 Reserve AWD - Tuxedo Black Metallic/Ebony - Tech package, driver assist, 20" Polished Wheels
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve
post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Interesting on the mpg as my wife's 2015 2.3 was getting around 24.4 combined at 59,000 miles before we sold it.

With you doing that kind of miles, I'm sure it was 90% highway, so getting 19-21 highway is low, unless you have a very heavy foot.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-19-2019, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
My wife and I did a 1200 mile trip. We drove the great river road to St Louis then down to metropolis Illinois. Those roads were mostly 60 mph speed limits. On the way back we took I 57 back. On that leg we drove 75 to 80 most of the way. For the entire trip we averaged 29 mpg and outside temperatures were close to 100. We have a 2016 Reserve 2.3 with 32k miles.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat

post #4 of 5 Old 12-25-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great write up! Currently at 70k 5 years in as well. Couldn't agree more with you regarding the gas mileage especially tank size. I think I get a tad bit better mileage with FWD 2.0 engine, but just a tad. Regarding the noisy tires, I do believe those 20" wheels are the culprit. Probably would've been worth it to go 18".
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpbmkc View Post
Interesting on the mpg as my wife's 2015 2.3 was getting around 24.4 combined at 59,000 miles before we sold it.

With you doing that kind of miles, I'm sure it was 90% highway, so getting 19-21 highway is low, unless you have a very heavy foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
My wife and I did a 1200 mile trip. We drove the great river road to St Louis then down to metropolis Illinois. Those roads were mostly 60 mph speed limits. On the way back we took I 57 back. On that leg we drove 75 to 80 most of the way. For the entire trip we averaged 29 mpg and outside temperatures were close to 100. We have a 2016 Reserve 2.3 with 32k miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohertz View Post
Great write up! Currently at 70k 5 years in as well. Couldn't agree more with you regarding the gas mileage especially tank size. I think I get a tad bit better mileage with FWD 2.0 engine, but just a tad. Regarding the noisy tires, I do believe those 20" wheels are the culprit. Probably would've been worth it to go 18".
Yes, I wish I'd have gone with the 19" wheels which are the smallest for this package. Tires are really expensive and I just think 20" is too big for this chassis. I find the ride to be both floaty and choppy and even with upgraded tires it likes to pull into ruts on the road pretty aggressively. MKC loaners I've driven with 18 and 19" wheels are much nicer to drive. The 20" looks great though. Unfortunately in black/black with the sonata silver trim this was the only one I could find at the time in late 14 and didn't have time to custom order one.

I think the 20" wheels have also caused the poor fuel economy as this car has been hard on fuel for its size since day 1.

My AC problem is a leak in the system somewhere as it had zero refrigerant in the system. Recharged and keeping an eye on it over the next few services. At 299,643kms now, will be over the 300k mark by the middle of this week!

2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 Reserve AWD - Tuxedo Black Metallic/Ebony - Tech package, driver assist, 20" Polished Wheels
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve

Last edited by HCFX; 01-13-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page