Cooled seats not very cool - Lincoln MKC Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LeeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cooled seats not very cool

I've had my MKC for a little over a week. Build date is 1/29/2015, so it doesn't have the updated climate controlled seats. We had a fairly cool day (high 50s) last week and tried the heated seats. I thought they heated quickly enough and were warm enough on all 3 settings. I had a 2004 Lincoln LS a few years back. While the MKC's seats don't seem as warm as the LS, I thought the amount of warmth would be enough in cold weather. However, the cooling function of the MKC seats seems significantly less that the LS. I can hear the seat fan running, and there is definitely air moving through the seat and the backrest, but it doesn't seem very cool, maybe only a couple of degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. The seat seems maybe slightly cooler than the backrest. I don't detect any difference in the degree of cooling between the driver and passenger seats/backrests.

TSB 15-0027 cites an issue with heating, not cooling, although the same module controls both the heating and cooling functions.
  • For those of you who have cooled seats, is your experience similar to mine (that is, the seats provide more ventilation than actual cooling)? Is there a difference in amount of cooling in the seat compared to the backrest?
  • For those who have had the TSB performed, have you noticed any improvement in the cooling function?

2015 MKC 2.0 FWD Reserve | Silver Sand/White Sands-Espresso
CCD | THX | Technology | Climate | 19" wheels |Build date: 2.5.2015

Last edited by LeeB; 06-10-2015 at 02:32 PM.
LeeB is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I've had my MKC for a little over a week. Build date is 1/29/2015, so it doesn't have the updated climate controlled seats. We had a fairly cool day (high 50s) last week and tried the heated seats. I thought they heated quickly enough and were warm enough on all 3 settings. I had a 2004 Lincoln LS a few years back. While the MKC's seats don't seem as warm as the LS, I thought the amount of warmth would be enough in cold weather. However, the cooling function of the MKC seats seems significantly less that the LS. I can hear the seat fan running, and there is definitely air moving through the seat and the backrest, but it doesn't seem very cool, maybe only a couple of degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. The seat seems maybe slightly cooler than the backrest. I don't detect any difference in the degree of cooling between the driver and passenger seats/backrests.

TSB 15-0027 cites an issue with heating, not cooling, although the same module controls both the heating and cooling functions.
  • For those of you who have cooled seats, is your experience similar to mine (that is, the seats provide more ventilation than actual cooling)? Is there a difference in amount of cooling in the seat compared to the backrest?
  • For those who have had the TSB performed, have you noticed any improvement in the cooling function?
For my MKC, very good improvement in the cooled seat performance...both speed for it to cool and the temp of the cooling. This is with the A/C on. And compared prior to the TSB. Mine was built in July.
TxTom is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Member
 
TRU_BLU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Texas
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was built in April 2015. Is this after the TSB?


I am somewhat disappointed in the speed and temperature. It seems to take maybe about 5-10 minutes before I start "feeling" it. I've never had the feature before so I cannot compare it on what it should feel and perform.
I mostly just feel the air coming from the bottom seat. Little to none from the backrest.....probably something to add to the list when I have the replacement antenna installed.

2015 MKC | 2.0L EcoBoost FWD
Notorious Blue Exterior | Modern Heritage Interior
Black Label | Climate Package | Technology Package | THX II Audio System

Build Date: 04/17/2015

2008 Acura TSX | Base | Arctic Blue/Ebony
>>Check out my garage!
https://www.mkcforum.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1298
TRU_BLU is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LeeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTom View Post
For my MKC, very good improvement in the cooled seat performance...both speed for it to cool and the temp of the cooling. This is with the A/C on. And compared prior to the TSB. Mine was built in July.
So TSB helped both heating and cooling? Great, I need to get it done. Did you get any static from the dealing in requesting that it be done?

2015 MKC 2.0 FWD Reserve | Silver Sand/White Sands-Espresso
CCD | THX | Technology | Climate | 19" wheels |Build date: 2.5.2015
LeeB is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LeeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU_BLU View Post
Mine was built in April 2015. Is this after the TSB?


I am somewhat disappointed in the speed and temperature. It seems to take maybe about 5-10 minutes before I start "feeling" it. I've never had the feature before so I cannot compare it on what it should feel and perform.
I mostly just feel the air coming from the bottom seat. Little to none from the backrest.....probably something to add to the list when I have the replacement antenna installed.
Tru Blu, thanks for the response. Sounds like yours works like mine, although your MKC should have the updated module. TSB 15-0027 applies to builds on or before 2/20/2015.

2015 MKC 2.0 FWD Reserve | Silver Sand/White Sands-Espresso
CCD | THX | Technology | Climate | 19" wheels |Build date: 2.5.2015
LeeB is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
yes, I have same issue. Heating takes 15 minutes (pretty much more than most of my drives) and doesn't get a fraction of the temp of my husband's escape titanium. Cooling seats only feel marginally cool if I have the A/C cranking after 10 minutes like you said. I can hear the fan going and feel a little coolness from the bottom but not the back panel. I confirmed with dealer that bottoms and backs should heat and cool...

They are aware and are fixing it with new foam pads and heating elements in seats. Not exactly sure what they do for the cooling part... Dealer at first said software (?) even when it was being reported here that seat pads and elements need to be ordered. That's why I love this forum, you guys seem to know more!

A few have reported here I believe that they have had it fixed and its much better. Hopefully getting mine in for the fix in the next week or two..
mmoretti is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Keep us posted on how it goes.



DeMarco is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
So TSB helped both heating and cooling? Great, I need to get it done. Did you get any static from the dealing in requesting that it be done?

I'm probably repeating myself here (I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post), but for the record my dealer refused to apply the TSB to my vehicle, despite my complaint about the heating. They took a temperature probe and found the seats heated to a temperature "within specification". Of course, this test does not address the quickness (or lack thereof) of getting to that temperature. I may try again with a revised complaint about the slowness in the seats getting cool (I'll try to emphasize the timing factor this time 'round).

2015 MKC AWD / 2.3L
Ruby Red Exterior / Hazelnut Interior


Build Date: 7/22/14
rocmkc is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
So TSB helped both heating and cooling? Great, I need to get it done. Did you get any static from the dealing in requesting that it be done?
No issue from the dealer. They have an excellent service tech now. First attempt before the TSB, with a recently fired tech, messed up the installation. The "foam pad" was reinstalled previously partially blocking the vent tube that funnels the A/C air to be distributed throughout the seat. Finally this excellent tech got the new parts and did the install. Works as good or better than my '12 SRX...which is long gone.
rocmkc and Bob Evans like this.
TxTom is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LeeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocmkc View Post
I'm probably repeating myself here (I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post), but for the record my dealer refused to apply the TSB to my vehicle, despite my complaint about the heating. They took a temperature probe and found the seats heated to a temperature "within specification". Of course, this test does not address the quickness (or lack thereof) of getting to that temperature. I may try again with a revised complaint about the slowness in the seats getting cool (I'll try to emphasize the timing factor this time 'round).
Interesting that they refused. The TSB doesn't require any check to determine if the seats heat to a specific temperature. The TSB instructs to technician to (1) perform a "network test" of the seat climate control module (SCME) and the front display interface module (FDIM) and (2) determine if there are any SCME diagnostic trouble codes. If the SCME and FDIM pass the network test and there are no trouble codes, the TSB says to replace the climate control seat and back pad units for both the driver and passenger. Before I bought the car, I asked dealer's service department if the TSB could be performed. The response was that there are no TSBs for the MKC. Really? Take a look at 15-0027. Oh. Hadn't seen this before, but can't do a TSB before you buy the car. They said they'd do it if I found the seats weren't heating effectively, but I have the impression that getting it done won't be without some degree of grief and hassle.

2015 MKC 2.0 FWD Reserve | Silver Sand/White Sands-Espresso
CCD | THX | Technology | Climate | 19" wheels |Build date: 2.5.2015

Last edited by LeeB; 06-11-2015 at 10:45 PM.
LeeB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome