6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Seat Vents

The rear vents to cool passengers in the backseat (located on the back of the center console) is an items that has been on every kind of car for many many years...it's just a normal item now, like electric windows or an AM/FM Radio.
Well for some reason Lincoln couldn't get mine right, as when I have the a/c on to a comfortable range for front passengers, a weak amount of air comes out through the back seat vents making the rear passengers hot.
Dealer tried it and had the front a/c blasting which then pushed a nice volume of air through the rear vents. I explained to him that nobody would take much of a drive with the front a/c blasting away on the highest speed, it just wouldn't be comfortable for the front passengers. But my dealer says that air is coming out so there is nothing to fix, and I say BS!
To add insult to injury, a few days ago it was 90 degree's here in FL and I'm in the backseat of a friends $30k Kia and he has the a/c on at a comfortable/reasonable level for the front passengers, and his rear vents are blowing out more than enough air to keep my wife and I comfortable in the rear. A Kia for goodness sakes !!!! Can anyone tell me how your MKC's rear vents perform...especially those of you in warm weather states, although I presume the a/c and heat will work the same in the rear. But then again this is a Lincoln were talking about so all bets are off the table. Like many of the posts I've read on this forum, I too am getting more and more frustrated with my MKC. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bob Evans likes this.

- Sapphire Metallic (Dark Blue) w/White Sand Leather
- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- Technology Pkg. & Climate Pkg.
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

post #2 of 14 Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I don't have a fix for you but just so you know, I have the same observation about our Audi Q5. The rear vent really doesn't blow much air. I never really thought about it much since I never sit back there—actually, we rarely have anyone sitting back there. But I'm guessing during the hot Miami weather it's hotter in the rear than up front.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Espresso, I'm over here on the other coast in Tampa and it's been a record breaking Nov. so far with temps averaging around 90 each day for the past week. We have folks in the back seat at least 4-5x a month and to keep them comfortable, I have to set the a/c to high (or in auto mode around 70-72 degree's). The result, we're freezing in the front while our back seat passengers are comfortable. What blew my mind was that our friends Kia worked perfectly, leaving both sets of passengers comfortable. If Kia can do it, how come Lincoln can't figure this out?
Bob Evans and 20MKC15 like this.

- Sapphire Metallic (Dark Blue) w/White Sand Leather
- Reserve Equip. Group
- 2.3 Engine/AWD
- Technology Pkg. & Climate Pkg.
- 19" Wheels
- Built 11-14

post #4 of 14 Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rear vents

I called dealer on this situation, the reply was, only three row vehicles get power rear vents.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I seldom have passengers in the rear seat, but I was curious and sometime over the summer I checked to see how much airflow came from the rear vents. It was pretty low. The rear vents are a long way from the fan, so I didn't expect much flow and there wasn't. A friend of mine has an Explorer with powered vents, which provide a nice amount of air. But a rear blower probably adds $5-10 to the cost of the car. Unpowered vents are more for decoration, providing the illusion of airflow but not its presence.
Bob Evans likes this.

2015 MKC 2.0 FWD Reserve | Silver Sand/White Sands-Espresso
CCD | THX | Technology | Climate | 19" wheels |Build date: 2.5.2015
post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Our new MKC has not yet arrived, due later this month but will be interesting to investigate this issue.
I have found same with all our rear seat vents in various makes. Problem solved by merely slightly closing the front vents to increase overall pressure in the air ducts.
Rear vents are naturally more restrictive to flow due to length and various bends of ducting - it's just physics.
I'm hoping the MKC front vents have adequate adjustability resolution to yield same results. If so it should reduce front seat freezing/over heating and help the situation in the rear.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Our new MKC has not yet arrived, due later this month but will be interesting to investigate this issue.
I have found same with all our rear seat vents in various makes. Problem solved by merely slightly closing the front vents to increase overall pressure in the air ducts.
Rear vents are naturally more restrictive to flow due to length and various bends of ducting - it's just physics.
I'm hoping the MKC front vents have adequate adjustability resolution to yield same results. If so it should reduce front seat freezing/over heating and help the situation in the rear.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
dk4500, yes, it's been an incredibly long and hot summer down here. So as to not leave any stone unturned, I've added this issue to my list of things to check out when I get delivery of my MKC.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The airflow can be blocked by closing the vent louvers. On some other cars I've owned, including a Lincoln LS, there was a seperate baffle control that could be opened or closed to adjust the volume of air from an individual vent without adjusting the louvers. Ford did not include that useful feature on the MKC.

2015 MKC 2.0 FWD Reserve | Silver Sand/White Sands-Espresso
CCD | THX | Technology | Climate | 19" wheels |Build date: 2.5.2015
post #10 of 14 Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
The airflow can be blocked by closing the vent louvers. On some other cars I've owned, including a Lincoln LS, there was a seperate baffle control that could be opened or closed to adjust the volume of air from an individual vent without adjusting the louvers. Ford did not include that useful feature on the MKC.
If I understand this suggestion- closing off the front vents a bit puts better pressure to the rear. Kick up the fan a notch and there should be decent rear cool flow................

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page