• 1 Post By Centex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Road Noise Reduction

Anyone experience the difference Dynamat makes with the tire/road noise. On a smooth road the MKC is quite... but any kind of rough or gravel road the road noise is less than stellar. I had a Toyota Camry in the past that I bout new with Toyoguard (included Rubber undercoating under the vehicle) but have heard better reviews on the Dynamat route.

Tires have 6/32 of tread left and are the Continental Contipro contact. Probably not the best but was what was on the vehicle when I bought it.

Thanks,
Chris
post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dynamat is a Constrained Layer Dampener (CLD) which serves to reduce resonance of panels to which it is applied. It does little if anything to actually block "road noise" and plays zero role in noise absorption.

To meaningfully reduce / block road noise one must install Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) as a continuous unbroken barrier the full length and width of the cabin (body pan, doors/liftgate and quarter/kick panels) and it must be de-coupled from the metal body by a layer of material such as Closed Cell Foam (CCF).

Yes, that's a lot of work, requires 'gutting' the interior. BTDT, did the full acoustic treatment (CLD, CCF & MLV plus sound absorptive material in voids) of my '14 Ford Escape (essentially the same body shell/drivetrain as the MKC) and it's far quieter than any MKC I've test driven on any surface. No, it is not a 'silent Mercedes' .... certain road noises are transmitted through the suspension and body mountings and cant be mitigated in any practical manner. And yes, even with acoustic treatments there's a difference between 'noisy tires' and 'quiet tires' and between different road surfaces - but all are very significantly reduced relative to no acoustic treatment.

See https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ as an excellent (and IMHO very reputable) source of information and how-to articles. There are also many threads with good information on Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
2015 MSM likes this.

Current Escape owner considering the '19 MKC Reserve
(looking forward to dealer arrival for a hands-on test)

Last edited by Centex; 06-19-2018 at 10:21 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to robi17
Many time trees and vegetation is the main factor to create road noise so if you want to reduce road noise you can add 2m high noise barrier to reduce road noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page