5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 Old 03-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccart View Post
I always calculate my own mileage myself at every fill-up as well, but have found, surprisingly, that it comes out very consistent with the trip computer. I use regular gas (87 octane), usually run in "Comfort" or "Normal" on the CCD, don't often carry extra passengers or weight, don't tow and my driving is 85% city stop-and-start. I am not an aggressive driver, leadfoot or jack-rabbit starter, but I should be getting better than I am.

I have brought it up to Service, but they checked all the computer controls and everything is OK. As I just had the engine replaced, I'm curious to see what happens, but no change so far - however, I only have a few hundred miles on the new engine.
My sales guy said to wait until about 500 miles and then if it's still so low, to bring it in. But I am not hopeful that they will find anything to fix.

At this point, I'd probably be thrilled to be getting 18 mpg.

2017 MKC
Reserve 2.3l Eco Boost AWD
Burgundy Velvet Metallic, Ebony
20" Wheels
Climate Package
post #52 of 56 Old 04-05-2017, 11:51 PM

So just to continue this saga....

Still averaging about 12 mpg in city stop and go. I had to go to IKEA, so as an experiment, I went to the store 36 miles away. I basically leave my office and get on the highway, and the IKEA is right off the highway at the other end. Very little traffic. I drive very reasonably - steady pace, very few passes, very few modest accelerations, and (because I had to go back today), two full days of basically highway driving for about 140 miles. And I got a whopping 18.6 (after resetting the mileage computer at the beginning of this experiment). Even the slightest tap on the pedal - to maintain speed - and that mileage bar heads straight for zero.

So I'm now convinced that the only way to attain their mileage figures is by driving like a 90 year old (no offense to 90 year olds). There are two options with the eco boost engine. Eco OR Boost. Because if you want any boost, there is simply no eco.

2017 MKC
20" Wheels
Climate Package
post #53 of 56 Old 04-06-2017, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My '17 Reserve 2.3 with 18" tires just turned 610 miles. I just topped it off for the third time. First tank got 20.8, second got 21.9, and this last one got 22.5. Mostly city driving with a little 55-60 highway thrown in. Curious to see what she'll get after a few thousand miles.

2017 MKC Reserve AWD
White platinum w/Hazelnut leather interior
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package (Sync 3 v3.0)
Climate package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17

post #54 of 56 Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinfll View Post
So just to continue this saga....

Still averaging about 12 mpg in city stop and go. I had to go to IKEA, so as an experiment, I went to the store 36 miles away. I basically leave my office and get on the highway, and the IKEA is right off the highway at the other end. Very little traffic. I drive very reasonably - steady pace, very few passes, very few modest accelerations, and (because I had to go back today), two full days of basically highway driving for about 140 miles. And I got a whopping 18.6 (after resetting the mileage computer at the beginning of this experiment). Even the slightest tap on the pedal - to maintain speed - and that mileage bar heads straight for zero.

So I'm now convinced that the only way to attain their mileage figures is by driving like a 90 year old (no offense to 90 year olds). There are two options with the eco boost engine. Eco OR Boost. Because if you want any boost, there is simply no eco.

Do you live in a metro area that runs a winter blend of fuel? Are you remote starting in the morning and letting it warm up? How many miles are on your 2017? My 2016 MKC 2.3 is averaging 18 city and mid to upper 20s on the highway... In the Chicago area we are switching over to a summer blend and I noticed the mileage is improving on my Jeep (I cant pry the MKC out of my wife's hands). Winter temperatures and winter blended fuel seems hit all vehicles in the mileage department.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #55 of 56 Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
Do you live in a metro area that runs a winter blend of fuel? Are you remote starting in the morning and letting it warm up? How many miles are on your 2017? My 2016 MKC 2.3 is averaging 18 city and mid to upper 20s on the highway... In the Chicago area we are switching over to a summer blend and I noticed the mileage is improving on my Jeep (I cant pry the MKC out of my wife's hands). Winter temperatures and winter blended fuel seems hit all vehicles in the mileage department.
Nope, I'm in Fort Lauderdale... so no winter blends and not much idling except at stop lights. Of course, we do run A/C most of the time...

mrmikesdeuce - I have the 20" wheels, but I don't think that would account for such a difference.

I'm tracking my mpg through the fuelly app. Now that I'm past 500 miles (which is what my sales guy said to wait for) I'm going to make a service visit.

2017 MKC
20" Wheels
Climate Package
post #56 of 56 Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
You need several thousand miles to break-in the AWD system and engine... Give it more time.. PS I have the 20" wheels also.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement