1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
miles till empty accuracy!

So...filled the tank..am currently getting 25.8 MPG AT the fill-up, it said 396 miles till empty.
Drove appx 15 miles and still showing 25.8mpg, but now it read 355 miles till empty! one of those is wrong!

IS it my car or just a trick by Lincoln when you fill up, you think you can go far!

ALSO, how do you turn off the rest stop alert? that comes on randomly even at 20 miles of travel?

Thank you all
post #2 of 14 Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Also you have to factor in anything that would pull energy, like heating/air conditioning, etc.

post #3 of 14 Old 12-09-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
BUT to drop 40 miles into think air??? If I traveled 15 mi the full tank reading of 396 should have then read 381...not 355. No matter how much energy I was using...

post #4 of 14 Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Since it appears that you didn't reset the MPG at the fill up, if your fuel consumption in the following 15 miles was quite high, it possible that the fuel sender sent the new fuel volume reading to the PCM, which recalculated the new miles to empty. But that higher fuel consumption for 15 miles or so didn't have an effect on the 25.8 MPG reading, which is based on how many miles since it was last reset.

Said another way, if the MPG display had more precision, i.e., if it displayed 25.84 MPG at fill up time, and 15 miles later if could have displayed 25.76 MPG. But since it only displays MPG to the nearest tenth it displayed 25.8 MPG at both displays.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqford View Post
Since it appears that you didn't reset the MPG at the fill up, if your fuel consumption in the following 15 miles was quite high, it possible that the fuel sender sent the new fuel volume reading to the PCM, which recalculated the new miles to empty. But that higher fuel consumption for 15 miles or so didn't have an effect on the 25.8 MPG reading, which is based on how many miles since it was last reset.

Said another way, if the MPG display had more precision, i.e., if it displayed 25.84 MPG at fill up time, and 15 miles later if could have displayed 25.76 MPG. But since it only displays MPG to the nearest tenth it displayed 25.8 MPG at both displays.
This seems like the most likely answer. If you've got 1000+ miles since you reset the MPG calculator, your last 15 miles of driving will barely budge the number. However, I'm sure the remaining range calculation is based on a much, much shorter amount of driving history.

Heat is nearly free, so unless you live somewhere that suddenly got a heat wave it's likely not affecting your range.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you all...I think the MPG is accurate...the MILES TO E just seemed weird. I will fill it today and watch it again.

But the reading should decrease as the miles travelled increase...so if at fill-up it is 399 to E then 15 miles later I would expect it to read 384..it read 355...the MPG was the same ..which would be correct since 15 miles would have little affect on the MPG.

Certainly not a problem...just a curiosity

JJ
post #7 of 14 Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
At zero range, I have filled up several times now and have always got ~2gallons left. At 15 miles past the 0 range, I managed to get ~14.5 one time. At highway speeds ~75-80- when I'm getting 25-26mpg, there is safely 40+ miles of travel left. My last trip north, I made it to the house non-stop 9370 mles, back down hill for gas and took 14.66 gallons stuffed. So I traveled ~375 miles and still had .9 gallons left!! I have seen 21mpg in a headwind, and best I've seen in 25.58 with a mix of 75-80 mph and a few high speed passes. No complaints from a 4000 lb SUV with a pretty hot motor. The reports are a bit deceiving. This thing is quite quick and you don't have to mash the pedal to make it move. Some of the competition may show quicker numbers off the line with brake lock starts etc due to very short gearing. This car is quick in real life and handles **** well to. I am Skip barber trained, I am now an instructor... I can make it do anything my X5's would do....!!! It is very much a sleeper.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-04-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why does the Miles to Empty warning come on at 37 mi left to empty but yet when I fill up my tank is full at only 12 gals. It's a 15.5 gal tank right? What am I missing?
post #9 of 14 Old 03-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
not sure about tank size but I am luck if miles to empty says 300 miles after a fill up.

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,
post #10 of 14 Old 03-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I think that the "miles to empty" calculates ,using the latest or last mpg average .

If its low average , or higher average will determine calculation of miles to empty.

I think...

Jim

2018 Reserve, FWD, purchase date 8/3/18
19" Wheels, Tech pack, Climate pack,
Sound THX, Pearl Ivory tricoat, Cappucino with Expresso trim Interior
2.0T, Sync3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page