LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
MKC Finally arrived

Picked up the wife's MKC yesterday - Burgundy/Expresso. She loves the colors and I have to admit it does look really nice. Only 65 miles but we enjoyed the drive home. Quiet and pretty responsive for a 4 cyl.

Noted that the seats do warm quickly, all the lights work, the entertainment system works fine but we need to familiarize ourselves with Sync-3 and fit/finish is very good.

Our driveway is quite steep and noticed a fairly loud "thunk" when shifting from Park to Drive. None of our other vehicles with auto trans do this so will investigate further.

All in all a very satisfied first 24 hrs
post #2 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Funny, my 2015 did exact same thing when I first brought it home. The loud noise only happened once. Took me by surprise and I thought I had pressed the button "wrong" (LOL which you really can't do). I wasn't on a steep though I just backed out of my driveway in a K turn to turn around when it happened. After that I had a few bad "shudders". Now about a year later it sometimes shudders when pressing between D,P, and reverse. Reverse seemed to be affected most. Now it's very mild and I stopped noticing but having a loaner recently I noticed those pushes/gear changes were definitely smoother than mine.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Are you using the parking brake? You really should utilize it whenever you are parked on a steep grade as it takes the stress off the automatic transmission (this applies to every car with automatic transmission..not just the MKC). And you should follow the correct procedure ie. come to a stop, engage the parking brake while the brake pedal is depressed AND then shift into park. When driving away step on the brake, shift into gear and then release the parking brake.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln

post #4 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've had that same clunk sound when backing out of my driveway which happens to be on a steep incline. To stop that clunk sound when I park I put it in neutral, place the emergency brake on, then turn off engine.

Yes the push shift from R to D stutters unless I do a 3 count. I was told by Lincoln engineers and my dealer that I was shifting to fast and not giving the transmission a chance to engage. I think that's a BS answer cos the MKZ loaner I had didn't have that stutter problem.

2015 MKC 2.3L AWD 18" Rims | Midnight Sapphire Metallic / Ebony | Select Plus Package | Blindside Monitoring w/ Cross Traffic Alert | Navigation | Panoramic Vista Roof | Power Liftgate | 11.20.2014 |
post #5 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Did not set the parking brake as I only stopped for a few moments while opening the garage door. It was the first time in the driveway and had not programmed the opener as yet. Will try again with setting parking brake as suggested. Fortunately the wife always follows this step.
No noise when shifting from R to D or visa-versa but we both always stop completely before shifting an auto.
The Burgundy Velvet color is amazing in the sunlight.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
There is an actual motor that pulls and pushes a cable that responds to the shift buttons so maybe a brief pause between shifts might be a good idea. The motor is located under the hood passenger side towards the windshield.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #7 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyMaker View Post
The Burgundy Velvet color is amazing in the sunlight.
Do we get to see pictures?
post #8 of 10 Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
Are you using the parking brake? You really should utilize it whenever you are parked on a steep grade as it takes the stress off the automatic transmission (this applies to every car with automatic transmission..not just the MKC). And you should follow the correct procedure ie. come to a stop, engage the parking brake while the brake pedal is depressed AND then shift into park. When driving away step on the brake, shift into gear and then release the parking brake.
Couldn't have said it better.....The entire weight of the car is leaning on the lock tab of the input shaft.....that "thump" you guys are hearing, loosely translated to english means....use handbrake/footbrake before going into park!...It's another form of parential abuse (assuming your MKC IS your baby) hehehe....or as the Bible says" Use it or go to ****!!!

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Using the parking brake definitely solves the issue.
Wife knows to set the parking brake before she shifts to park so all seems well.

Only driven it a few hundred miles but no problems. Main thing is she's happy with the style, comfort and ease of handling.
Driving to San Diego this weekend for first road trip before Christmas trip to San Francisco area so curious how it handles the trek.

It is a nice driving vehicle but not my baby - reserve that title for my 14 Corvette........
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
loud thunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoretti View Post
Funny, my 2015 did exact same thing when I first brought it home. The loud noise only happened once. Took me by surprise and I thought I had pressed the button "wrong" (LOL which you really can't do). I wasn't on a steep though I just backed out of my driveway in a K turn to turn around when it happened...
Well, we got a loud "thunk" yesterday and the day before. The car stopped abruptly for a sec before continuing. Was almost like it went from like third gear to first. I was present for the second occurrence and my wife experienced them both. Actually, the second time it happened, she was explaining what had happened the day before.

Anyway, I called the local Lincoln dealer and they easily and happily agreed to pick it up Friday morning at 9 am while dropping off the loaner. Then they sent me a text confirming it with a link I can access for status updates. Just hoping it's nothing serious...

2016 MKC Black Label
Indulgence Theme
Notorious color
2.3L Ecoboost AWD
THX II
Sync 3 v3.0
Technology package
Climate package
Class II Trailer Towing
19-inch wheels
11/2015 Build
Sponsored Links