• 1 Post By countryguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2016 Reserve

Went to the Toyota dealership to test the RAV4 and saw this 2016 MKC sitting there and made the mistake of driving it, lol. Wanted to get something for the wife to drive to work so was not looking for something like the Lincoln but we made a deal. Going from an Outback to the MKC is quite an eye opener, this thing has everything you can imagine, or at least that we can imagine. The 2.3 Ecoboost put it over the top for me, I have an F150 4.6L and an F250 460 and had an Explorer in the past so familiar with the Ford products, and was curious about the turbos. Looking forward to learning about the MKC and the turbo. One nice surprise was that it had the Pirelli P7 tires and those had good reviews, good tires are essential for the winter here in Wyoming. How is the battery life for these vehicles? They seem to have a lot of accessories that would use power.
post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmar View Post
Went to the Toyota dealership to test the RAV4 and saw this 2016 MKC sitting there and made the mistake of driving it, lol. Wanted to get something for the wife to drive to work so was not looking for something like the Lincoln but we made a deal. Going from an Outback to the MKC is quite an eye opener, this thing has everything you can imagine, or at least that we can imagine. The 2.3 Ecoboost put it over the top for me, I have an F150 4.6L and an F250 460 and had an Explorer in the past so familiar with the Ford products, and was curious about the turbos. Looking forward to learning about the MKC and the turbo. One nice surprise was that it had the Pirelli P7 tires and those had good reviews, good tires are essential for the winter here in Wyoming. How is the battery life for these vehicles? They seem to have a lot of accessories that would use power.

I also have a 2016 Reserve and enjoy it. Some of us (me included) have experienced early battery failure so keep an eye on that. The engine has lots of power! In Wyoming you may want to go full synthetic oil for those very cold mornings. Traction in the winter for me is pretty good but I live in a metro area. The Pirellis seem to wear pretty quickly but I would get them again because they offer a pretty smooth and quite ride (I also have ride control).

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
"Some of us (me included) have experienced early battery failure"
Good to know, batteries are very important in this part of the country, rural and cold. I have most of my batteries, ATVs, tractor, etc., on solar or battery tenders, not practical for a vehicle but I try and put a charger on the trucks periodically. I am sure this MKC has the original battery, when it craps out what are good replacements? I don't scrimp when buying new batteries, reliability is worth more than dollars.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Mine was replaced with the same type of battery under warranty. So far the replacement has been fine.

Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
post #5 of 10 Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
After reading through some posts I am wondering if they addressed the battery issue, but like I said previously these vehicles have a lot of accessories that probably eat up battery power. Also it seemed like the battery issue was during a certain period so could Lincoln/Ford have had a bad batch of batteries?

Do any of you with AWD switch to FWD to improve mileage? We definitely need AWD in the winter but I was wondering if it would be prudent to switch it off when not needed.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmar View Post
After reading through some posts I am wondering if they addressed the battery issue, but like I said previously these vehicles have a lot of accessories that probably eat up battery power. Also it seemed like the battery issue was during a certain period so could Lincoln/Ford have had a bad batch of batteries?

Do any of you with AWD switch to FWD to improve mileage? We definitely need AWD in the winter but I was wondering if it would be prudent to switch it off when not needed.

I'm not aware of any switch to turn off AWD. AWD only engages when needed.
symetry likes this.

Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
post #7 of 10 Old 10-18-2018, 04:46 PM
DRM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Welcome to the board, I also came from a toyota and ended up with the 2016 reserve. If you want to go full update on the Sync 3 and use Android Auto there is a little work that needs to be done. I hope it still has some warranty left as that will help.
Update to the latest version of sync 3 ( have the dealer do it under warr)
You will need to replace the USB ports in the center console with the newer version this part with labor was just under $300.
Then download android auto to the car and on your phone either that or Apple Car play.
You can now use Waze, Spotify, Pandora, Scanner radio and others from the factory head unit. I thought it was worth it.
Dave
post #8 of 10 Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM
DRM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
follow this thread to see what I went through but still worth it. https://www.mkcforum.com/forum/elect...head-unit.html
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
I'm not aware of any switch to turn off AWD. AWD only engages when needed.
I must have been thinking of some other vehicle we drove. On the Outback you removed a fuse by the battery that disconnected the AWD and make it only FWD.
The wife has been driving it to work all week and she is really liking it.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Although the car is AWD, it engages FWD primarily and only goes into AWD when the conditions warrant it. There is an option accessed via the left steering wheel controls for the left side of the dash display which will display the Intelligent AWD screen. This will show which drive wheels are engaged at any time.
5.0 Candy REDCS likes this.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement