• 1 Post By humpty dumpty
  • 2 Post By psychoart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone else think the MKC should be priced lower?

Not sure about the pricing as I'm not sure Lincoln can command near BMW pricing without heavy incentives.

For starters I wouldn't price it above another "premium" competitor - the Acura RDX.

Here is a price comparison including the higher output 2.3L vs V6 in the Acura:

MKC 2.3 AWD: $40,860
RDX AWD: $36,295

Add features:

X3 xdrive28i with cold weather, premium, and technology packages: $48,625
MKC 2.3 AWD with Reserve package: $44,565
RDX AWD with Technology package: $39,995

The Lincoln offers some creature comforts not found on the Acura but I don't think that will be enough to justify the price.

I personally dislike Honda/Acura design, and quite enjoy the MKC aesthetic, so the RDX is not really a choice for me.

But will others give the RDX a hard look? Lower price, along with Acura reliability and resale value, should make the RDX a strong rival. If you're the type willing to spend more than an RDX, then why not a Porsche Macan, which is reportedly superb? Again the Porsche is not my cup of tea either, but I'm putting myself in the shoes of other buyers here...
post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillceeker View Post
Not sure about the pricing as I'm not sure Lincoln can command near BMW pricing without heavy incentives.

For starters I wouldn't price it above another "premium" competitor - the Acura RDX.

Here is a price comparison including the higher output 2.3L vs V6 in the Acura:

MKC 2.3 AWD: $40,860
RDX AWD: $36,295

Add features:

X3 xdrive28i with cold weather, premium, and technology packages: $48,625
MKC 2.3 AWD with Reserve package: $44,565
RDX AWD with Technology package: $39,995

The Lincoln offers some creature comforts not found on the Acura but I don't think that will be enough to justify the price.

I personally dislike Honda/Acura design, and quite enjoy the MKC aesthetic, so the RDX is not really a choice for me.

But will others give the RDX a hard look? Lower price, along with Acura reliability and resale value, should make the RDX a strong rival. If you're the type willing to spend more than an RDX, then why not a Porsche Macan, which is reportedly superb? Again the Porsche is not my cup of tea either, but I'm putting myself in the shoes of other buyers here...
I shopped - I mean seriously shopped - the RDX myself when it was released. Feature-to-feature it does not compare favorably with the MKC (or any other compact luxury crossover). The amount of stuff you can't even get in the RDX is silly. No rear HVAC vents. No power or even manual height adjustment on the passenger seat. No bi-xenons. No Pano roof. No cooled seats. No BLIS. No LED DRLs. ... it goes on and on. There is a reason Acura can sell the car for $40k. My first car was a Honda, and I wanted to like the RDX. It drives fine, but it does not feel like a premium crossover. Factor in the clunking rear dampers (LINK), and the fact that going into the third model year Acura hasn't even formally acknowledged the problem, and I wouldn't blame anybody for not considering the RDX a "premium" crossover.

I think the NX will be Lincoln's most direct competitor on features and price. For those that like, or are at least willing to tolerate the NX's styling, it will be a compelling package. For the record, I think the NX is going to do have an immediate impact on RDX sales, too.

As far as the Germans go, they are all well engineered vehicles with superior drivetrains. But they can all three be priced above $60k when you start equipping them like a loaded MKC. If you don't see the value in their engineering, high tech transmissions or sophisticated AWD systems, then the MKC looks like a bargain when you start comparing features.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I too think the NX is going to be a formidable competitor. We don't have pricing yet on that model, right?

It will be interesting to see where the sales numbers are after a few months.

I will have to make a "Lexus NX vs. Lincoln MKC vs. Acura RDX Sales Numbers Thread" in a few months time.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
NX is garish, MKC is graceful. I really think because the lexus is visually challenged Lincoln is going to see a HUGE advantage simply because of curb appeal.
goepfrich likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I don't mind seeing more NX on the street (and I do see a lot of RDX on the street). It would just make my MKC look rarer and more prestige, which is what I want.

People say that the RDX is great and more affordable. Yes, but we all know what it means: it is cheap, falling in the lower end of the price bracket.

I see a lot of people saying that the MKC is just but another Escape. I haven't heard a lot of people babbling that the NX is just but a hyped up RAV4, or the RDX a CRV. It's just so suspicious!
humpty dumpty and goepfrich like this.

Last edited by psychoart; 06-13-2014 at 09:55 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoart View Post
I don't mind seeing more NX on the street (and I do see a lot of RDX on the street). It would just make my MKC look rarer and more prestige, which is what I want.

People say that the RDX is great and more affordable. Yes, but we all know what it means: it is cheap, falling in the lower end of the price bracket.

I see a lot of people saying that the MKC is just but another Escape. I haven't heard a lot of people babbling that the NX is just but a hyped up RAV4, or the RDX a CRV. It's just so suspicious!
I believe you mean double standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page