LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
19" or 20" on White Platinum Reserve?

Hello All,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new MKC (Reserve, Tech, Climate, THX, Trailer) One thing I am stuck on is do I want the 19s or 20s. They are both available in the colors I like. The 19s would be in Platinum White with Hazel interior, the 20s would be in Platinum White with Ebony and Sonota Aluminum. All other options are identical.

Maybe its just me, but every time I look at the pictures, the 19s seem a bit more sporty, more "open". I have not been able to see the 20s in person, only the 19s.

Any thoughts or advice. If you could choose either (Northern Indiana Winter Climate, bad roads, blah, blah, blah) What would your choice be? I have 20s on my 2012 Limited Edge now and other then the cost of tire replacement, have had no complaints and they do well even in deep snow. My Wife has the 19s on her 2013 Escape and again, no complaints.

True Quandary

Rayo
JefffromNH likes this.
post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
It's subjective personal preference. I got the 19" Reserve wheels because I think they are the best looking wheel available for the MKC. You may like the 20" ones better. What is stopping you from seeing them in person?
kmccart likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
It's subjective personal preference. I got the 19" Reserve wheels because I think they are the best looking wheel available for the MKC. You may like the 20" ones better. What is stopping you from seeing them in person?
The car with the 20s is on its way to my dealer, already built. Its one they already had on their order/build sheet.

There are not other MKCs in my area that have the 20s on them. So the debate is mainly due to whats available in my area without a lot of hassle to get. My choices are:
  • A Dealer trade (my local dealer with a dealer about 70 miles away) for a White Platinum Reserve with Hazelnut and the 19s and optioned with Tech, Hitch, Climate, THX.
  • A in stock White Platinum Reserve with Ebony, Sonota Trim and the 19s optioned with Tech, Hitch, Climate BUT NO THX.
  • And finally a White Platinum Reserve with Ebony, Wood Trim and the 20s optioned with Tech Hitch, Climate, THX.
From looking at the pictures, I might feel like the 20s are a bit to "busy" I would rather have less spokes then more. I think the 19s might look more sporty where as I could see where some would maybe think the 20s look more classy if you know what I mean.

Of course this also mean I am on the fence about THX vs No THX. I hooked up my phone via USB in a MKC with each version. Jammed out to some good bass heavy clean music with vocals and definition. I could see where the THX showed more clarity and seemed "cleaner". But maybe I was imagining it, however the non THX seemed like the bass thump was more pronounced, localized. I don't listen to classical music or jazz... its pretty much Top 40, Dance, Rock etc. So yes, I like my bass!

My gut is telling me to go after the one that is a dealer locate/trade that has the 19s THX and Hazelnut. As I like the Hazelnut and without having them side by side to compare, I doubt after a day in the car I would really notice any significant shortcomings to the THX system (lack of bass etc.). I can always bump up the Bass Slider and turn the volume up louder

Thoughts? Thanks,

Rayo

post #4 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Wait for the 20" one to arrive so you can see it in person?

I was an early buyer, so THX wasn't available, but I don't miss it at all.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I have seen both cars that you are thinking about. The Platinum White with Hazelnut is a lovely combo in my opinion. We had a Lexus SUV in white with ebony interior and it was very boring in comparison to the hazelnut. I think the hazelnut far tops the ebony in classiness and interesting to look at. We have the 19" and they look great (we have Silver Sands). Don't skip the THX as it is worth it! We listened to cars with and without and there is a huge difference.
TxTom likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayoVac View Post
The car with the 20s is on its way to my dealer, already built. Its one they already had on their order/build sheet.

There are not other MKCs in my area that have the 20s on them. So the debate is mainly due to whats available in my area without a lot of hassle to get. My choices are:
  • A Dealer trade (my local dealer with a dealer about 70 miles away) for a White Platinum Reserve with Hazelnut and the 19s and optioned with Tech, Hitch, Climate, THX.
  • A in stock White Platinum Reserve with Ebony, Sonota Trim and the 19s optioned with Tech, Hitch, Climate BUT NO THX.
  • And finally a White Platinum Reserve with Ebony, Wood Trim and the 20s optioned with Tech Hitch, Climate, THX.
From looking at the pictures, I might feel like the 20s are a bit to "busy" I would rather have less spokes then more. I think the 19s might look more sporty where as I could see where some would maybe think the 20s look more classy if you know what I mean.

Of course this also mean I am on the fence about THX vs No THX. I hooked up my phone via USB in a MKC with each version. Jammed out to some good bass heavy clean music with vocals and definition. I could see where the THX showed more clarity and seemed "cleaner". But maybe I was imagining it, however the non THX seemed like the bass thump was more pronounced, localized. I don't listen to classical music or jazz... its pretty much Top 40, Dance, Rock etc. So yes, I like my bass!

My gut is telling me to go after the one that is a dealer locate/trade that has the 19s THX and Hazelnut. As I like the Hazelnut and without having them side by side to compare, I doubt after a day in the car I would really notice any significant shortcomings to the THX system (lack of bass etc.). I can always bump up the Bass Slider and turn the volume up louder

Thoughts? Thanks,

Rayo
I got the 20", love them and gets tons of compliments, I also love how the huge tires handle the dry and wet ( not snow) roads. However not a great wheel for winter for 2 reasons; 1) there's so many spokes that it is a a major pain to clean, and I can only assume there will always be tons of snow stuck in them. 2) The tires on the 20" wheels are 255, which is a super wide tire for winter driving. If you're not planning to size down for winter, I suggest sticking with the 19's as a happy compromise. I put on 18" winter tires and mags for the winter, with the stock size of 235/50R18. So far, extremely happy how this truck handles snow and ice with 18" Toyo's.

As for your thoughts on the THX, I'm big into music, had a 2011 MKX with an awesome THX stereo, best stock sound system I've ever heard, so naturally I was going to get it on the MKC, didn't think twice about dishing out the extra $$, until I heard it and was in shock. Thought it was defective so listened in a second car, same sound. So like you I compared the 2 closely, huge difference, salesman even agreed with me! The new THX has absolutely no low end bass, zippo. Their distributed bass technology just simply cannot replace a subwoofer in any way shape or form. So if you really like bass, stick with the standard stereo which has a subwoofer and save $1000, this is a matter of personal listening preference. The new THX is great, but not for everyone. Perhaps the highs are not as defined, but it never distorts even at high volumes. If you really wanted, you could spend $200 and change the speakers in the front and be well ahead in sound quality and wallet savings. Only You can decide what you like, you will get many different opinions on here.

Good luck!
JefffromNH likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wow thanks for all the responses. I live in Northern Indiana (South Bend, Notre Dame area) and we are in the "Lake Effect" snow band from Lake Michigan. So we tend to have a good amount of the white stuff, especially last year.

So after all the opinions and working three dealers kind of against each other, I have decided on the one that had THX , Hazelnut interior and the 19s. Stickered right at $50,100... after X-Plan and $1750 in rebates... I feel like its a fairly decent price. Heck when I compare the MKC and options to my 2012 Edge Limited that stickered for over $44K, I think the Lincoln is a much better buy. Not to mention the concierge service, 2 year maintenance, longer warranty then the Ford, etc. etc.

The vehicle is not on the lot yet with the dealer that has it listed as in transit or similar. My dealer (who is the same one we bought the 2012 Edge and our 2013 Escape from) states they do trades with this other dealer all the time and does not feel it should be a big deal to get it.

Crossing my fingers that all goes well, should have firm commitments on Monday.

Rayo
TxTom and laurel like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I also moved from a 2012 Edge Limited (fully loaded and 245/20" wheels)
The MKC has adaptive steering and being used to the Edge, I was initially making too large of inputs for steering - took about 100 miles for me to adjust.
My MKC is also fully loaded with 255/20" wheels. Everything about the MKC is tighter, from space, to handling, to ride, to response.
Given the amount of technology offered, the transition to the MKC is fairly easy; but this can be overwhelming for someone coming from another brand.
The Edge's massive sunroof is the only thing I miss, it opens so much more than that of the MKC.
As far as the 255 width tires, they do fine in the summer and can handle so rain.
For the snow season I would definitely consider mounting max 225/18.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I got good news and bad news from my dealer tonight.

The bad news... the MKC with all the options I wanted that was at a dealer in Coldwater, MI... was already spoken for.

The good news.. my dealer found another one equipped exactly the same in Muskegon, MI. Its a little farther away, but only by about 30 minutes.

The dealer is sending two guys to get it in the morning (remote dealer would not do a trade only a sell). Unless snow fouls things up, I should be driving it home on Wednesday.
TxTom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page