4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Back in the shop

Had a major computer system short that knocked out the fuel pump sensor , stabilitrac, and Sync. This is the second assembly issue I have encountered with the vehicle. I hope this is last. The dealer loaned me a MKX and the refinement, ride and handling is superior with the MKC. I am sure they will address with the new MKX , but I wonder how much more it will add to the MSRP.
post #2 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Geeky4U View Post
Had a major computer system short that knocked out the fuel pump sensor , stabilitrac, and Sync. This is the second assembly issue I have encountered with the vehicle. I hope this is last. The dealer loaned me a MKX and the refinement, ride and handling is superior with the MKC. I am sure they will address with the new MKX , but I wonder how much more it will add to the MSRP.
Well so far no reply's to your problems so hopefully yours is the only lemon so far. With 2 more months to build mine maybe ALL the bugs will be GONE
post #3 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Ford usually makes good vehicles, so I wouldn't expect this to be the norm. Especially with the MKC, I would think that Ford is paying extra close attention to how it is doing with quality. Last thing they want to do is join the recall parade.

goepfrich likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Anybody hear of a reason why there hasn't been any/or very few MKCs shipped by rail or convoy from Louisville in the past 10 days? I've been looking at inventory built since 7/9 on the Lincoln MKC website, and they still show a "dealer ordered" status, meaning they are sitting there "awaiting shipment"...not "in transit." Is there a hold on these recent builds for any reason? Or just a log-jam? (Mine is in this bunch!)
post #5 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I feel like they've got to have a log jam. I have 3 dealers in my area and only 1 has any MKC's (2 of them).

The others have had about 6 or more on order for over a month now.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
maybe there's some recall or something and they're holding them because of that?

post #7 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxocarnut View Post
I feel like they've got to have a log jam. I have 3 dealers in my area and only 1 has any MKC's (2 of them).

The others have had about 6 or more on order for over a month now.
Escapes built at this plant and going to my same dealer built on 7/17 & 7/18 have already shipped...So I don't think it is a log jam. Now think there must be some sort of hold on the MKCs. Maybe it has something to do with the battery/charging system...the other day at the dealer both MKCs on the showroom were dead. And another forum member had that bad battery after taking delivery, and they had to order a battery; none in stock at the dealer.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm. The MKC in our dealer's showroom also had a dead battery. It did seem odd that they hadn't recharged it overnight.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTom View Post
Escapes built at this plant and going to my same dealer built on 7/17 & 7/18 have already shipped...So I don't think it is a log jam. Now think there must be some sort of hold on the MKCs. Maybe it has something to do with the battery/charging system...the other day at the dealer both MKCs on the showroom were dead. And another forum member had that bad battery after taking delivery, and they had to order a battery; none in stock at the dealer.
This is another thing that troubles me. Lexus builds the RX here in Canada in a completely separate plant/line to the Toyota product. They train "associates" to think and do things differently and we all know the results. I don't know for certain, but it would appear that Ford chooses to build a "premium" product using the same line as the "regular" product. I know the Edge/MKX are built that way (have family in that plant). So for us consumers to expect a better built product "worth" more money coming off that same line is fallacy.

Had a look at 4 on a local dealers' lot last weekend. The alignment of the rear hatch with the body sides was a bit off. Appeared to be about a 1/8" "gap" all around when looking straight at the back. Hatch was narrower than the mating pieces. Could put my thumb on the the fender and see the tip of my thumbnail. It did appear consistent, though; perhaps it's designed that way. I haven't seen an Audi; would be interesting to know how their panels line up.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It is strange that the MKC is not built on a dedicated line. As far as I know that is standard for most other vehicles. Infiniti and Nissan may share lines, I'm not sure. It does make me wonder how similar the vehicles really are, but at the same time I'm sure it's how the MKC achieves its price point. It also lessens the risk to Ford if they need to scale up/down MKC production. Since a lot of luxury cars are built on the platform of the lower model, I guess this is just taking it a step farther.

Ford to make Lincoln MKC at Louisville Assembly Plant - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Quote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Ford's Louisville Assembly Plant on Fern Valley Road will add production of a new vehicle, the Lincoln MKC, next year.
The 2015 MKC, Lincoln's first entry into the compact utility vehicle market, will be made alongside the Escape SUV beginning in the second quarter of 2014. LAP plant manager Daryl Sykes told workers about the new line on Wednesday.
The MKC is Lincoln's attempt to tap the "compact luxury crossover" market, said Edmunds.com senior editor Bill Visnic, who attended Lincoln's unveiling of the new model in New York on Wednesday.
"What you're talking about, in effect, is a luxury version of the Escape," Visnic said.
While the MKC will be a bit wider than the Escape, both vehicles will be built on Ford's C Platform, the type of production line currently installed at LAP, Visnic said.
A union representative said 100 workers could be added for the MKC, but Ford has so many applicants from previous hiring that the company won't be soliciting new candidates. The plant currently employs 4,400 workers producing the Escape on three shifts.
The MKC will start at a manufacturer-suggested retail price of $33,995, according to Lincoln's website. The Escape starts at $22,700.
It won't cost much more to build an MKC than it does an Escape, so the higher price means higher per-vehicle profits, Visnic said. He noted Lincoln already makes a luxury version of the Ford Explorer -- the MKX.
With add-ons, some MKCs could sell for $45,000, Visnic said.

"That's where you really get your margins, on vehicles like this," he said.
The MKC is Lincoln's entry into a market that has been led so far by German automakers BMW (the X3) and Audi (the Q5), Visnic said.
The vehicle offers some utility -- it can come with four-wheel drive -- but with better fuel efficiency than a bigger SUV, he said.
Lincoln touts the MKC's available 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, which "offers projected best-in-class horsepower per liter and best-in-class torque per liter."
TrueCar.com senior analyst Jesse Toprak said the MKC is an attempt to attract new customers into the Lincoln brand, which is an "uphill battle."
"It's still perceived as the old guy's car, and the average age of a Lincoln buyer is the oldest in the industry."
Image is the main motivation of luxury car buyers, and it's going to be difficult for Lincoln to win over BMW customers in Los Angeles, he said.
Lincoln's new model will be trying to fit into a growing segment that includes the BMW X3, Audi Q5, Mercedes M Class and Buick Encore, he said.
"The challenge is how to stand out," he said.
WhirlyGirl likes this.

Last edited by sg021; 07-22-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page