LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Whistle noise

Hello everyone,

Was curious if anyone else has had a high pitched whistle noise in their MKC? Mine sounds like air being pushed through a very small hole, maybe from the front left corner of the driver side. I don't think its normal wind noise, other mkc's we drove did not do this and it starts at about 50mph and stops when you reach over 70mph. At its worst at about 68mph.

My car is a 2015 reserve fwd with about 240 miles on it. They drove it from Texas, would have thought they'd notice that on the drive up.

Thanks
post #2 of 18 Old 04-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
If you're lucky it has to do with the weather stripping, if not, it could be something more extensive.

Have you had a chance to speak with your dealer about it as yet?

post #3 of 18 Old 04-24-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMarco View Post
If you're lucky it has to do with the weather stripping, if not, it could be something more extensive.

Have you had a chance to speak with your dealer about it as yet?
Took it today, they were able to hear it but couldn't identify it, have to take it back this week for them to try to identify it and fix it. Initial thought was something within the engine compartment not quite sealed, but not sure. Hope the don't have it too long, other than that I love this car!

post #4 of 18 Old 04-30-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update: So far they cannot figure out what is causing the noise. I called Lincoln concierge and they are opening a case to see if they can help. Dealer left it up to me today to keep trying or give up and deal with the noise, which is why I contacted Lincoln. It concerns me the dealer will just say sorry, though now they say they'll keep trying.

Hoping someone else has had this issue and can recommend a fix, it can be heard above normal (for us) radio volume, so definitely an annoyance.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar issue with mine - any speed above 65MPH I could start hearing a whistling noise coming from the driver's side front door area, and progressively got more annoying at higher speeds. Took it in to the dealership for an oil change and asked if they could look into the issue along with the heated seats TSB. Their technician found that the rubber seal that sits between the driver's side mirror mount and body was not fully seated. They adjusted the seal, re-tightened everything down and the whistling noise has indeed disappeared. It may be worth while to ask your dealer to check on that area if they haven't
JefffromNH likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibichocobo View Post
I had a similar issue with mine - any speed above 65MPH I could start hearing a whistling noise coming from the driver's side front door area, and progressively got more annoying at higher speeds. Took it in to the dealership for an oil change and asked if they could look into the issue along with the heated seats TSB. Their technician found that the rubber seal that sits between the driver's side mirror mount and body was not fully seated. They adjusted the seal, re-tightened everything down and the whistling noise has indeed disappeared. It may be worth while to ask your dealer to check on that area if they haven't
Not sure if that was it or not, but I just heard back from the dealer today. They said it was the driver mirror, specifically a channel within the mirror that connects to the door. Lincoln is apparently redesigning that and should have a replacement in about 30-40 days they said.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 PM

Tulsa OK : 2015 MKC AWD : Chrome trim piece and rubber seal on the top of the passenger front door, does not seal and is loose. The entire top frame and window move in and out at good 1/4 to 1/2 inch at 30 mph up to normal highway speeds and wind noise is deafening! We have left it at the McKnight Lincoln Service in Tulsa for 3 weeks... they can't find anything wrong with it! Brand new vehicle and have to drive a rental for 3 weeks and problem is not even identified let alone solved! Now 5,500 miles of putting up with this problem. How do you open a file with Lincoln?? Very frustrated to say the least!! Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm checking the recall lists next.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Unhappy Whistling Noise 2016 MKC

I have the same issue with the whistling noise at around 70mph on the driver side window. Took it to dealer and they say to give it 2000-3000 miles and should be gone and saying it is with the tires?! I think it is total BS but I had it in there for a rattle in the driver side dash speaker which took them 3 days to fix so I was ready to have my car back. I'll update after 2000-3000 miles, but I'm thinking it is the weather seal around the window as well.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Check the foam insulator forward of the front door on the other side of the hindges it runs from the top to bottom of the front fenders (open the front doors and look behind the hindges). The intent is to stop air from rushing from the engine compartment into the door area as well as provide sound insulation. Make sure it has not moved and fully fills the cavity top to bottom. Sometimes if it has moved or is bent, air will rush from the front engine compartment inside the door up between the weatherstrip and exit somewhere at the top of the door causing a whistle sound. One of mine was moved and the top was pushed forward. I opened the hood and used a short pole to push it forward back into place from the engine side.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat

Last edited by blankster; 01-18-2016 at 04:36 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflitm749 View Post
I have the same issue with the whistling noise at around 70mph on the driver side window. Took it to dealer and they say to give it 2000-3000 miles and should be gone and saying it is with the tires?! I think it is total BS but I had it in there for a rattle in the driver side dash speaker which took them 3 days to fix so I was ready to have my car back. I'll update after 2000-3000 miles, but I'm thinking it is the weather seal around the window as well.
I registered just so I could respond. My 2016 MKC w/500 miles just spent 3 days at the dealership for what sounds like the same rattle in the dash speaker and this irritating driver's side whistle as well. Happens around 40 mph. After 3 days @ Lincoln, the rattle is fixed, but the tech was unable to detect any whistle/wind noise. At all. I'm going to check out the foam insulator as well and then I guess go back to my service advisor. Very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page