Vibration/Shudder while driving new MKC: ghost in the machine - Lincoln MKC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vibration/Shudder while driving new MKC: ghost in the machine

I am hoping someone has encountered and been able to get a fix for the problem I am experiencing with my new AWD MKC. Took delivery June 26/15.

Immediately noticed that the car had an internal shuddering vibration, very much like the buffeting one gets when back windows are opened. However this is mild but noticeable. The vibrations are noticeable from 40km/hr onwards.

Visit 1 - I took the car back to the dealer within 3 days and a tech agreed that the vibration was noticeable. They rebalanced all the tires. No effect.

Visit 2 - 2 days later, I return car and they investigate a TSB #ASI-44725 that says 'tires could be the cause of vibration but customer has to drive significant mileage first to eliminate 'flat spot' conditions'. Nothing done to vehicle.

Visit 3 - One week later, having driven 1200 kilometres on a camping trip, I return the car to dealership saying the vibrations are still there. They pull off all tires and switch them with another new MKC on their lot. Reported it didn't improve the problem, so returned to previous tires and pulled out the driveshaft making it FWD. Vibrations seemed to lessen but upon further driving it was obvious that that it was only 20% less obvious.

At this point I'm starting to think that this is all in my head. Because of my line of work I have rented 100's of cars of all makes and sizes and have never encountered this phenomenon!

Visit 4 - I try out two other brand new MKC's (less than 50 km on either) to see if other units have the same issue. The first vibrates worse than mine! The second is much better, a smooth ride finally! So the dealer switches out all the tires and the driveshaft from the second unit to mine.

Now it gets interesting! The vibration is still there and obvious. I know what it feels like when a tire is not balanced, this is a vibration that is felt in the driving cabin ... as if it's a drivetrain issue.

The dealer service has been fantastic! They have tried a lot obviously, always treated me with courtesy and lent me loaner cars at every visit. The salesperson has been involved every step of the way. Now, I feel is if they are stumped about what to do next.

I am not a fussy person and I love all of the other aspects of the car. We chose the MKC specifically because my wife is disabled and HAS to have a smooth ride, just going over a manhole cover will cause her to wince in pain.

I would genuinely appreciate any ideas or help any of the fine people in this forum might have.

Thanks,
Mike
post #2 of 9 Old 07-20-2015, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
We haven't had the problem. I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading on this forum somewhere that someone else has had this problem. I am searching for the thread/post. If I find it, I'll let you know.

2015 MKC AWD / 2.0L
White Platinum Exterior /White Sands Interior
Select Package / Select Plus Package / Climate Package / Power Liftgate / All Weather Mats / Reversible Cargo Mat

Build Date: 11/20/14
post #3 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks golferman44

Any help would be appreciated.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnhamm View Post
Visit 1 - I took the car back to the dealer within 3 days and a tech agreed that the vibration was noticeable. They rebalanced all the tires. No effect.
Did they use a traditional balancer? Or a Road Force Balancer like the Hunter 9700?

2015 MKC AWD 2.3L Reserve w/Climate Pkg. Silver Sand/White Sand. Build 8/14/2014.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,
Just wanted to share what I'm going through with our 15' 2.0 MKC. We purchased the car in the middle of June. I noticed a shutter at idle and when taking my foot off of the accelerator the car would jerk pretty heavily causing me to move back and forth in my seat. I brought it back to the dealer a week later. They were able to confirm the issue but it seemed to be minor so I told them if it got worse then I would bring it back. Sure enough, the car completely stalled out while I was attempting to turn left against on-coming traffic. I immediately brought it back to the dealer. They evaluated the car for a full week and replaced the low pressure fuel sensor along with a new sirius antenna (non related). I picked up the vehicle the following day and the car was driving perfectly for 4 days. Then just this weekend the car made another heavy jerk at idle and almost stalled out again.... Needless to say it is back in the dealership for the 2nd week now and we are beyond frustrated! Has anyone come across this problem? If so what was the solution?

I am very close to calling Lincoln and asking for my money back. So far the dealer has had the car longer than I have owned it. Less than 800 miles on the vehicle on my end... Can anyone help?

Thanks,
post #6 of 9 Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnhamm View Post
Thanks golferman44

Any help would be appreciated.
I found what I had previously seen. Under the Performance Section/Engine Discussion forum there is a thread titled "Vibration at idle". I don't know whether your problem and their problem are related, but it might worth a look-see.

HTH

2015 MKC AWD / 2.0L
White Platinum Exterior /White Sands Interior
Select Package / Select Plus Package / Climate Package / Power Liftgate / All Weather Mats / Reversible Cargo Mat

Build Date: 11/20/14
post #7 of 9 Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
neekz57

Sorry to hear your about your troubles, its frustrating when you have anticipated a great new car and have nothing but trouble from day one.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-22-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
golferman44

Thanks for the reference, but it's a different issue. I have no problems with transmission, it's more like the driveshaft needs tuning.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
This does sound like an AWD issue, either with the driveshaft as noted, or with the center diff system. I wonder if it is possible to run the vehicle without the rear driveshaft and see if the shudder goes away.

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page