1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-01-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Stalled out and wouldn't start!

I have 140 miles on my new 2016 Reserve MKC and last night the car started to buck and then died! We were right in the middle of a street; thank goodness not a busy one. After half an hour we were able to start it and move to the side of the road to wait to be towed. The wrench symbol was on on the instrument panel. The car is now at the dealer but since it's a holiday we won't be able to speak with them until tomorrow. Of course we are very concerned that we have a car with issues that will continue. Hoping someone has some advice or knowledge of what could be happening.
post #2 of 14 Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I hope it is something very minor and isolated. Please be sure to keep us updated on what happens.

2015 MKC
Select +
2.3 AWD
Tuxedo black / ebony with Sonata Spin aluminum trim
Climate package
September 19, 2014 build date

2016 Black Label MKZ
2.0 AWD
Black tie / jet black center stage theme interior
post #3 of 14 Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
So unfortunate that you had that happen to you. The wrench light is a Powertrain Failure warning. Just out of curiosity, did you call the Lincoln Road Assistance number? Hope it gets resolved quickly. And congratulations on your new MKC!

2016 MKC Black Label
Indulgence Theme
Notorious color
2.3L Ecoboost AWD
THX II
Sync 3 v3.0
Technology package
Climate package
Class II Trailer Towing
19-inch wheels
11/2015 Build

post #4 of 14 Old 01-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Did you notice any oil under the car?....tranny fluid,usually red? If a universal joint in the driveline snapped (highly unlikely with your low mileage), driveshaft falls out of the - + 3 degree and starts to shake the car...were you able to put it in park?When it started and you moved it to the side, did it feel "bumpy" or running smooth?....

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-02-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update

The dealer has only light service today so the car will not be looked at until Monday. I wanted to answer your questions. We called the Lincoln Roadside Assistance number in the manual. It took about an hour (it was New Year's Eve though). It was put on a flatbed. The tow operator was able to drive it on. We were able to start the car after about half an hour and when we moved it to the side of the road it seemed fine, not bumpy. The only thing to add is that when I parked the car there was a bump-like feeling, but still getting used to the car and we were busy watching the backup camera, etc., wasn't until later I thought about that bump. Didn't look for any fluid on the ground, it was dark out but didn't even think to look. Will definitely keep you posted on the update.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
The dealer has only light service today so the car will not be looked at until Monday. I wanted to answer your questions. We called the Lincoln Roadside Assistance number in the manual. It took about an hour (it was New Year's Eve though). It was put on a flatbed. The tow operator was able to drive it on. We were able to start the car after about half an hour and when we moved it to the side of the road it seemed fine, not bumpy. The only thing to add is that when I parked the car there was a bump-like feeling, but still getting used to the car and we were busy watching the backup camera, etc., wasn't until later I thought about that bump. Didn't look for any fluid on the ground, it was dark out but didn't even think to look. Will definitely keep you posted on the update.
Oh no sorry to hear about your new MKC. What color combo?
My car (and other early 2015) sometimes had a "bump" when switching between gears (P or D To reverse mostly). I only had a hard "bump" once then it faded to more of a slight shudder from time to time. Others had that bump worse and some actual stall outs. I believe a few that had it either had an issue with a loose motor mount or something with the torque converter. Not saying you are having same issue as yours sounds maybe a little different.

Let us know what they say, hopefully something minor for you.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 AM

If the car was driven on to a flat bed, that pretty much rules out a blown universal joint....in that case the majority of torque will transfer to the Pushing wheels (rear) there would also be audible sound as in crunching, clanking....you did not mention any sounds of this nature....I doubt it's a shift fork (in automatic transmissions, they are always preloaded and lined with the next cog (gear)...The bigger question is why it died in the first place....then was able to restart, that rules out timing...spark ignition is directly tied to cam gear,cam gear is coupled to slotted key in cam...yet it started fine, weird!
You'd have to run some tests to determine...starting with ignition and firing, look at electrical flow to ignition modules....it could be something as simple as loosing contact, a connector is not quite making proper contact, under load such connections will arc rather than transfer and would shut an engine down.
None of this makes sense without testing protocols, your car is way too new for this to be component failure,although I saw stranger things happen with new cars...
Did you notice any thrown codes displayed in the dash area, next to the check engine light? something beginning with P followed with a E then a number (number indicates frame line in CPU module).... please keep this thread updated Rock...it sounds like this should be quite easy to trace, especially is codes were triggered ( I'm willing to bet there will be multiple codes read)...
Hope it gets resolved immediately for you...fingers crossed, and as expressomac said congrats on your MKC!

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Out of curiosity, after it died out and you were trying to start it up...did it sound like there was sufficient battery power to crank multiple times?....while you were cranking the engine,did you notice any misfires or backfires? smell of gas?....was the car rocking during the firing up process?....when it finally started did it go into a smooth idle mode,or was it misfiring?.....sorry about all the questions, Im just trying to rule things out in my mind.

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have 140 miles on my new 2016 Reserve MKC and last night the car started to buck and then died! We were right in the middle of a street; thank goodness not a busy one. After half an hour we were able to start it and move to the side of the road to wait to be towed. The wrench symbol was on on the instrument panel. The car is now at the dealer but since it's a holiday we won't be able to speak with them until tomorrow. Of course we are very concerned that we have a car with issues that will continue. Hoping someone has some advice or knowledge of what could be happening.
Any update, Rock?

2015 MKC
Select +
2.3 AWD
Tuxedo black / ebony with Sonata Spin aluminum trim
Climate package
September 19, 2014 build date

2016 Black Label MKZ
2.0 AWD
Black tie / jet black center stage theme interior
post #10 of 14 Old 01-06-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Update again

Beyond frustrated. They can't seem to figure out what the problem is. They first thought it was the PCM connection, then an APP problem, now trying the fuel leveling sensor. They said they have been in touch with the engineers but so far they haven't solved it.

2016 MKC
2.0 FWD
Reserve
Burgundy Velvet/White Sands
Technology Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List