Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Thumping noise when pressing brake before ignition

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sparkys72 
#1 ·
I have 2017 MKC Reserve 2.3 L turbo. I notice that whenever I lightly press the brake just before ignition, I heard a thumping noise from the rear, slight "tap tap tap tap tap tap". I brought the car to a Lincoln garage, and they said that this is normal, that it comes from the fuel pump priming.

Has anyone experienced this?

If this is "normal", then it is a design flaw.

#2 ·
Mine does the same - I suspected it may be the ABS system self-testing or the fuel pump building up pressure. My Corvette did the same thing (that for sure was the ABS).

Reactions: 2015 MSM
#3 ·
I just joined the Forum because of the "thumping" that emanates from the back right of my MKC Reserve 2.3. I had it at the dealership shortly after purchase and was told it had to do with the "subwoofer" and was repaired. It was never repaired.

I waited a few months to bring it back and after being told, there was no noise that multiple techs could not hear; I went back, had the "Senior Technician" listen and then be told that is was the fuel pump and that was normal.

I agree with the other writer, that if this is normal, "there is a serious design flaw".

#5 ·
Ok I went to see if mine made the same noise. I stepped on the peddle and heard the rear noise. It didn't sound like my previously noisy fuel pump. I will try to record the noise in my spare time. I am pretty sure my prior post I quoted needs modifying. I don't think this noise was similar to my last Lincoln. Hence 'going bad' is not accurate. (another reason not to believe everything you read)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.