LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-01-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Issue List

We bought our MKC new less than 16 months ago. We recently turned over 20k miles. We're quickly falling out of love with the Lincoln. I thought I'd list all our "unscheduled" dealer visits in one thread.

In order:

1. From day 1 the panoramic sunroof had horrible wind noise in any speeds above 65. Dealer had it for 3 days, and corrected the issue. ('16 MKX 3.7 fwd as a loaner. It had numerous interior fit-n-finish issues – so bad it was almost embarrassing. Acceleration was impressive)

2. Modem replaced under service bulletin. Dealer replaced in 1 day (after a long wait for parts). (2.3 MKC as a loaner. Didn't notice a huge difference between it and my 2.0 fwd.)

3. Door latch recall, and warped airbox (lid would not properly seat). Dealer had for 3 days to order new airbox. (MKX 2.7TT AWD as a loaner. Acceleration was addicting).

4. THX amp went out. It was cutting in and out for over a month before we finally took it in. Dealer had it for 2 days (had to order amp). (’17 MKC 2.0 AWD as loaner. It had the dreaded front speaker rattle)

In addition to above, the front seats squeak in cold weather, because Lincoln wasn’t smart enough to put cloth on both sides of the seat bottom. It squeaks where the leather rubs against the plastic trim – on the seat bottom side – facing the door. I’ve stuck a piece of black rubber trim in, which stops the squeak, but looks tacky. The MKC is quickly going to surpass my ’11 Grand Cherokee for the number of unscheduled dealer visits. I love Lincolns, and will still continue to only buy domestic, but they need to tighten up QC. Our ’10 MKZ AWD Ultimate only had 1 very minor issue, and was in for less than 1 day (to replace 1 TPMS sensor). I definitely would never buy another MKC – as the size and ride don’t fit us well. I honestly would trade it if we weren’t so upside-down. (last 2 issues are my fault)

On the positiveside, my local dealer service department has been great -- even though I didn't purchase from them. The free washes and loaners are nice.

2015 MKC Reserve FWD: Ruby Red, THX, Technology Package
post #2 of 20 Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have also had more quality issues that I would have expected.

I had the rattle up by the left front speaker recall completed which involved shoving some insulation between the glass and the dash - some of the insulation can be seen. It has eliminated the rattle.

The driver seat squeaks from time to time. I usually move it forward or back a bit and it stops for a while.

The overhead console has an annoying squeak, and I have nothing in the sunglasses bin.

The rear seat behind the driver has an issue where the carpet from the back attaches to the seat back. It keeps coming apart. I took it in to the dealer and they re-hooked it, but it came right back out. When I complained, they said about all the could do was to replace the entire seat cover, which I don't really want to do.

2017 MKC 2.3 AWD Reserve - Certified
Magnetic Grey - Ebony
THX II Audio System
19" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
post #3 of 20 Old 12-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
I leased my 2015 MKC in June 2015. The issues list is long. I have made over 20 trips (probably closer to 30) to the Ford dealer (no Lincoln dealer nearby) not including all the trips for regular maintenance service.

1. Modem replaced twice - TSB
2. Exhaust tips rusting and had to have exhaust system replaced.
3. Seats heating slowly - had 2 TSBs performed
4. Block heater fire hazard - TSB performed
5. Exterior mirrors start moving on their own and won't stop - TSB performed
6. Odometer disappearing from dash - TSB performed
7. Fuel sending unit replaced - TSB performed
8. Rear latch for cargo net broke - Lincoln replaced quarter panel after my complaint about $1000 they wanted to charge
9. Radio not displaying song title on dash left of speedometer - TSB performed
10. TPMS light not on when winter tires installed without TPMS sensors - still not resolved
11. Radio control lights around dials stay on even after interior lighting shuts off
12. Warning chimes change sound, battery goes dead - TSB performed & new battery installed
13. Replace satellite radio antenna - TSB performed
14. Door latch problem - still waiting for parts after 1 year
15. Rattle noise from rear passenger side - TSB performed

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln

Last edited by countryguy; 12-02-2017 at 11:51 AM.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-02-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Those are quite the lists.

Oh - I do have the slow heated seat issue, but am going to live with it.

Regarding #10 on countryguy's list.... I had a winter set on a '10 Ford Focus and '10 MKZ -- both without sensors. The Ford systems were very easy to trick/confuse back then. I would keep my OE set (with sensors) in the basement or garage. At every start-up, the system would "see" them, and reset the light. The light wouldn't come on unless I drove for about 20 miles+, or stopped and restarted. You'd think it would be constantly checking? That's the point of the TPMS system. They have saved me in the past though -- when I did have leaks.

post #5 of 20 Old 12-02-2017, 12:27 PM

kkreit01, I don't know where you live so maybe the slow seat heat issue is not a problem but where I am, it can go to -40 C so slow to heat seats are not something I want to live with especially when I have had heated seats on 3 Toyotas and a Lexus and they all heated very quickly. I also had TPMS on the same 3 Toyotas and Lexus and they all had the TPMS light immediately in the winter when I started the car, even though the all season tires with the sensors were stored about 10 feet away. I don't understand why the MKC doesn't recognize immediately that there are no sensors on the tires. Like you, I have to drive at least 25+ km before the light will come on. If the system is checking that infrequently for low pressure then when the tires with the sensors are mounted on the car and the pressure is low, it probably would be too late of a warning and the tire would be flat.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
post #6 of 20 Old 12-02-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
^ Yeah -- I'm in Kansas. If I were further North, I'd probably complain. Don't they have to remove whole seat cover to fix? That's why I'm leery about having it fixed. I'm afraid the leather will get damaged, or I'll have more seat squeaks. Ours do eventually get warm, but it takes a good highway run. Our garage rarely gets below freezing (maybe 1 or 1 nights/year).

Ford's TPMS system is very odd and forgiving. On Chryslers, the light would come on right away, and the tires had to be rotating in order to function. On my MKZ, the OE set was in the basement, and it was still able to transmit to the car at every startup. One time, I drove around short trips all over town, and the light didn't come on. It didn't both me much. They do work when they are supposed to (don't know how?).

post #7 of 20 Old 12-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
WOW countryguy... that's some list, did Lincoln send you a recall notice about the door latch issue? I've received NOTHING...The rusting tips to me shows the poor quality they are using to manufacture these exhaust tips, I went to the dealer this past week and spoke to Todd, the new service manager...and he was blown away at the amount of rust buildup....he was the one that actually mentioned that they just got replaced not that long ago...his approach seems to make some sense....we'll replace both sides when you're 3 thousand from the warranty expiring!!!!
A lot of the problems we are seeing, in my view is lack of proper testing during the initial design/ manufacture....seems we are moving backward rather than forward with better quality autos....I could feel myself aging waiting for the seats to heat up LOL....the same situation on the Mustang is non existing....turn them on and by the time I'm out my driveway, they are warmed up! When I enquired about this issues at my dealer....the explanation they offered me reeked of BS....."well Mario, there are actually two systems in the seat, one cools and the other heats" so I say to the guy....well, it cools just fine but problem is it takes a million years to feel any heat in this seat I'm complaining about the 2nd system, the heated seats!...it's a badly designed system at best....
Your list seriously surprised me countryguy...good god! I also never heard anything from Lincoln about any issues with my modem.....maybe I'm just being lucky, or they are playing that game...if the customer don't complain...leave well alone!
Lincoln needs to DO WAY WAY BETTER if they want me and others to remain repeat customers! I'm about to cross Lincoln OFF my list!....not impressed.

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-03-2017, 12:19 PM

kkreit01, yes the seat cover had to be removed. The first time they did it the cover was not fully attached correctly so I had to get them to fix it. The 2nd time there was a squeak every time the seat was moved during entry and exit caused by the leather on the side rubbing against the centre console.

5.0 Candy, I received the recall notice about the door latches on the phone app....I have not received anything via mail. Do you use your phone app to remotely start the car, lock/unlock the doors, check the fuel level, tire pressure, etc.? If not, then you wouldn't need the modem. If you do use it, then the app should have stopped working if you still have one of the original modems (which use the now de-commissioned cell network). You can check the modem version via the touch screen settings in the car.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
post #9 of 20 Old 12-03-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Also, the modem may have only been a 2015-issue...

If you've registered, and are using the app, it will tell you if you have any outstanding recalls or bulletins. I also use it to spy on the wife when she's driving it: "why are you at Michaels again?"

post #10 of 20 Old 12-05-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
countryguy;

5.0 Candy, I received the recall notice about the door latches on the phone app....I have not received anything via mail. Do you use your phone app to remotely start the car, lock/unlock the doors, check the fuel level, tire pressure, etc.? If not, then you wouldn't need the modem. If you do use it, then the app should have stopped working if you still have one of the original modems (which use the now de-commissioned cell network). You can check the modem version via the touch screen settings in the car.
Back when you guys started to use the phone app, I thought I'd wait and see how it was working out for most.....read a bunch of complaints about the modem and issues with not properly loading and stuff,then replacement of said modem etc... so no I never really bothered with it...as long as my fob remote start works; heated seats, heated steering, I'm ok with it...thanks for the reply country guy, appreciated it.

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page