The dreaded POWER LIFTGATE gremlins! - Lincoln MKC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The dreaded POWER LIFTGATE gremlins!

First off,Thanks for letting me join! I've been reading all the threads on here and I haven't found quite what I'm looking for. Here's my dilemma on my 2015 MKC with powerliftgate: Power liftgate started acting crazy, sometimes it worked electrically, sometimes it didn't. Still worked manually. One day I passed by the rear and noticed the sound of the rear latch cycling. After a weekend of no use, found dead battery. Charged battery and two days later dead again. Took rear liftgate apart to investigate, found lock cycling. Used amprobe on battery and determined that with car off and PLGM ( I believe is the correct term Power Liftgate Module) plugged in, 5A draining from battery. Door actuator quits working from all switches, electrically, altogether. Only way to open rear gate is to manually stick hand in door and push lever on actuator. Unplugged the module and it went to 0A. Ordered a new module and while waiting, pulled latch mechanism apart and checked all of the switches in it. everything looked OK. Got new module in and installed. Power liftgate still doesn't work. Ordered a new liftgate motor, waited 2 months since they were on back order, installed it and still nothing. All fuses OK. Used Forscan Lite with ELM327 Module and found an error that said the computer had lost communications with the PLGM. Cleared the code and retested and the code never came back. Still doesn't work. Car is out of warranty and dealership too far away. I'm praying someone here can help me. Thanks
post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Did you check the wiring harness entering the hatch from the roof. That flexure point is an isue on MANY vehicles. My BMW wiring failed there

2016 Range Rover Sport HSE
2015 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.3 AWD
2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S
2008 Isuzu Ascender LTD
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes, in order to change the liftgate motor, you have to pull the headliner down to get at that connection. Definitely not in that connector. The new motor came with all of the wiring that passes through that entry point.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
There is a software flash for 2016s and 2017s that keeps the rear hatch module from staying on after a close cycle but I see you have a 2015.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just an update...brought it in a few months ago and the RGTM has to be programmed... this thing has so many modules on the M Can bus.... I’m sure it will be a nightmare again soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List