Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Popping noise driving over 'filled in' potholes

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Trickmaster 
#1 ·
There is a particular part in the road, by my house, that when I drive over it I always get a pop or thump noise from the front passenger side. It is a filled-in pothole. When I drive around town I sometimes will hear it when hitting other indentations in the road. I don't think the noise happens when going over a bump.
(It's one of those things if you fear when you bring into the dealership they will give you the: "It's normal" or "We could not reproduce it".)

Is there anyone else hearing such a noise from their mkc?
I would guess it is a shock, spring, or bushing issue. I find it hard to believe it is normal. I thought the "Lincoln Drive Control" / CCD system prevents pothole issues.

Maybe if pdqgp lives close to me he can drive the road with his and see if hears the same thing.

#2 ·
One time I actually had a rock trapped inside the under engine cover that rattled when I went over bumps.

#3 ·
FIXED: I went to Lincoln and had them look at it. My loaner was also an MKC. so.... I went over the road with the noisy spot and the loaner lacked the suspension pop. When they brought mine back it was not fixed so I made another appointment. I explained the loaner lacked the noise so I know it was not normal. I made the service guy ride with me and he heard it and said it wasn't normal. One week later they replace the front suspension shocks and another part like rubber gasket or washer. It is fixed now and I bet it was the rubber part was not installed correctly or maybe just bad.

#4 ·
My MKC, has a crunching noise , like a rusty shock piston sound,
Only at 40 degrees or below, and only when it is wet roads.

Very loud and almost constant when driving over slightest road imperfections,
Comes fro the rear of car.

Got appoint in March at dealer for maint service, and this problem.

Hope they find it like your rubber bushing.

Jim

#5 ·
After reading your 'popping noise' comments, I had the same type of noise on my drivers front side. I printed your comments along with your fix and gave to my dealership while in for service. They replaced 2 sway bar links and that solved my problem. Thanks for your posting Buckeye. You made my day!

Rick Hero

#6 ·
If youre into your car for the long haul, as i am, i suggest getting it "oil" undercoated. The oil creeps inside chassis channels and also, if done right, keeps the bottom of the doors from falling out along with our engine cradle that is steel hidden by the bottom engine cover. This area rusts fast and undercoat doesnt help it. This new style of thin stronger steel is thin faster rusting steel...ruststop or fluid film. Something where they promise to drill door holes and remove engine undercover. I've had a 2016 escape ti and my current 15 mkc and both are already rusty where i mentioned. Save your baby!

#8 ·
Dealer checked everything, could find no reason for noise.
Of course it hasn't happened since cold weather.
They said bring it in when its doing it, which means cold ,40 deg or lower and rainy..

Probably will never find the problem.
Its so specific to certain conditions.

Anyway I'm looking to trade up to a larger vehicle.
Love the MKC. wife really loves it, but even she admits ...its tight quarters.

Jim

#9 ·
There is a particular part in the road, by my house, that when I drive over it I always get a pop or thump noise from the front passenger side. It is a filled-in pothole. When I drive around town I sometimes will hear it when hitting other indentations in the road. I don't think the noise happens when going over a bump.
(It's one of those things if you fear when you bring into the dealership they will give you the: "It's normal" or "We could not reproduce it".)

Is there anyone else hearing such a noise from their mkc?
I would guess it is a shock, spring, or bushing issue. I find it hard to believe it is normal. I thought the "Lincoln Drive Control" / CCD system prevents pothole issues.

Maybe if pdqgp lives close to me he can drive the road with his and see if hears the same thing.
The subframe bolts where loose that’s where the pop noise was coming from

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.