• 2 Post By Buckeye

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-28-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Radio/GPS doesn't work in cold weather

I've had my 2017 MKC since October 2016 and the dealer cannot seem to figure out why my radio and GPS system doesn't work in cold weather. When I start my car during the winter months, only the temperature button on the touch screen works. I cannot turn the radio on, I cannot use GPS navigation, and I cannot use my phone that is connected. After warming the car for 45 minutes or more or driving the car 10-20 miles, everything comes on automatically as if I just started the car. Each time I take it to the dealership they say they cannot duplicate the issue....well maybe because the car has warmed up at that point. I've asked them to try to duplicate the issue first thing in the morning on a cold day (car has been in the dealership multiple times for 3-5 days at a time so it was not too much to simply try to duplicate the issue early in the morning when the temp was at it lowest).

Has anyone had this issue? What can I do to help the dealership duplicate the issue other than letting them keep my car for days at a time?
post #2 of 3 Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I had something like this happen with me at Ford. service guys said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I videotaped it, ran into the dealership and demanded the service manager. showed him the past visits, video and gave him an ear full. Amazingly he went to my vehicle -- looked at it and in 1 minute he figured out what was broken. Grrr I was looking for a big battle.

my 2 cents:
Video record it a few times.
Then park it at the dealership the night before a cold weather snap that would exhibit the issue.
Then the next morning, first thing, personally have the service manager watch the video then have him come out to the car... show him the problem live.
DRM and symetry like this.

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2018, 10:50 AM
DRM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I would think that these are all micro switches. Back in the early 80s I had a Blaupunkt radio and the on/off was a push button with about a 1/32 travel. When it was below zero I would push the button and it would take as long as 30 seconds to release and make contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page