Hard shifting normal before 2016? - Lincoln MKC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Hard shifting normal before 2016?

Got a recert 2015 MKC (17,800 mi) 6 days ago. Hard shifts or late shifts that feel like its struggling or confused. Never saw this except on escapes and other cars 200K+ miles. Salesman said give it time it has a ATAL, Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning feature that needs to to learn me as a driver. Should not take this long to learn as I have 110 miles on it. Service man sais there are bulletins (SSM 45239) that say say hesitation is normal first 2-3 shifts from cold engine. This happens after its warm, so I can't imagine this "Cold Soak Delay" what they call it....being the issue? Any others have this? I see here in the forum talks about dealers who you have to keep on and get the PCM reflashed or new torque converter and than a flash to fix. They gave a loaner MKC for the day and it drove smooth (but was a 2019). I can't imagine this being "normal" for a luxury car (reserve version) under 20K miles
post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleg View Post
Got a recert 2015 MKC (17,800 mi) 6 days ago. Hard shifts or late shifts that feel like its struggling or confused. Never saw this except on escapes and other cars 200K+ miles. Salesman said give it time it has a ATAL, Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning feature that needs to to learn me as a driver. Should not take this long to learn as I have 110 miles on it. Service man sais there are bulletins (SSM 45239) that say say hesitation is normal first 2-3 shifts from cold engine. This happens after its warm, so I can't imagine this "Cold Soak Delay" what they call it....being the issue? Any others have this? I see here in the forum talks about dealers who you have to keep on and get the PCM reflashed or new torque converter and than a flash to fix. They gave a loaner MKC for the day and it drove smooth (but was a 2019). I can't imagine this being "normal" for a luxury car (reserve version) under 20K miles
Ditto. I have a similar issue. Late shifting. RPMs go up higher than I expect and loaner was smooth as can be. Dealer said it was "normal" and i figure I will wait until it is more distinct before I go back and complain.

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleg View Post
I have a 2015 that does this too. I haven't taken it in to have this resolved yet so I cannot comment on any potential fixes, but I do notice the hard shifting when it is cold. After it warms - no issues.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I had a 2015 and had no shifting problems whatsoever....lots of other problems....but the shifting was OK.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think how much you notice this depends on how hard you push the car while it is cold. Our neighborhood is adjacent to a 60 mph stretch of highway and when I have to get on this road while the mkc is cold, I sometimes notice the shifting when I have to enter traffic and get up to speed fast. If traffic is light and I can take my time - it shifts normally.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for the feedback so far!

…so I drive country roads for 10 minutes sin the morning very easy at 50ish and then hit an expressway. When in town the car sites for 10-20 minute then back in. I can see the first 2-3 shift but this should not occur after 30 shifts. I do have the 3.2L and know this is mated with the escape transmission, so at first thought maybe its just the engine being stronger, but then the transmission should be in sync (especially since it is supposed to have added learning transmission with some smarts behind it.

**Update - So today I tried sport mode (1st time actually), nothing crazy just accelerate to half throttle let off and normal easy turns around some corners and stop and start. It is way noticeable in this mode. I actually don't drive in S in any car, except may very steep mountains on vacation (smokey mountains) and then only if I feel a car is struggling in drive. I have concerns since I found shifts very late and even to 5K RMP here. Often it did not shift and held a high RMP, so I backed down (this was gentle acceleration too.) Paddles did not seem to work either or where delayed. I have now scheduled to take in again TUE to dealer for another round…will report how this goes.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
There may be a tsb for this with either a flash or a valve body upgrade. Check with your dealer.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Dealer is now rebuilding the transmission 2nd time taking in. Mechanic and service manager both drove. This said it was minor, but it is a Lincoln and should not feel that way. I give them credit for rebuilding it. They actually have had for 1.5 week now and should be done any day. I have loaner while waiting. What might have helped is I contacted Lincoln to ask about the quality....also when I took in and camera and rear sensor for auto open hatch went out as well. 6 things actually in the first week I had it and it was suppose to have passed their 200 point inspection of certified Lincoln. Kind of made a case for them to make it right since I have been in a loaner for 1K miles more than my actual car. Will report back if it is resolved. I did refer them to TSB and SSM on it that I had been made aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page