Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Hard shifting normal before 2016?

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  landlord 
#1 ·
Got a recert 2015 MKC (17,800 mi) 6 days ago. Hard shifts or late shifts that feel like its struggling or confused. Never saw this except on escapes and other cars 200K+ miles. Salesman said give it time it has a ATAL, Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning feature that needs to to learn me as a driver. Should not take this long to learn as I have 110 miles on it. Service man sais there are bulletins (SSM 45239) that say say hesitation is normal first 2-3 shifts from cold engine. This happens after its warm, so I can't imagine this "Cold Soak Delay" what they call it....being the issue? Any others have this? I see here in the forum talks about dealers who you have to keep on and get the PCM reflashed or new torque converter and than a flash to fix. They gave a loaner MKC for the day and it drove smooth (but was a 2019). I can't imagine this being "normal" for a luxury car (reserve version) under 20K miles

#2 ·
Ditto. I have a similar issue. Late shifting. RPMs go up higher than I expect and loaner was smooth as can be. Dealer said it was "normal" and i figure I will wait until it is more distinct before I go back and complain.

#4 ·
I had a 2015 and had no shifting problems whatsoever....lots of other problems....but the shifting was OK.

#5 ·
I think how much you notice this depends on how hard you push the car while it is cold. Our neighborhood is adjacent to a 60 mph stretch of highway and when I have to get on this road while the mkc is cold, I sometimes notice the shifting when I have to enter traffic and get up to speed fast. If traffic is light and I can take my time - it shifts normally.

#6 ·
Thanks all for the feedback so far!

…so I drive country roads for 10 minutes sin the morning very easy at 50ish and then hit an expressway. When in town the car sites for 10-20 minute then back in. I can see the first 2-3 shift but this should not occur after 30 shifts. I do have the 3.2L and know this is mated with the escape transmission, so at first thought maybe its just the engine being stronger, but then the transmission should be in sync (especially since it is supposed to have added learning transmission with some smarts behind it.

**Update - So today I tried sport mode (1st time actually), nothing crazy just accelerate to half throttle let off and normal easy turns around some corners and stop and start. It is way noticeable in this mode. I actually don't drive in S in any car, except may very steep mountains on vacation (smokey mountains) and then only if I feel a car is struggling in drive. I have concerns since I found shifts very late and even to 5K RMP here. Often it did not shift and held a high RMP, so I backed down (this was gentle acceleration too.) Paddles did not seem to work either or where delayed. I have now scheduled to take in again TUE to dealer for another round…will report how this goes.

#7 ·
There may be a tsb for this with either a flash or a valve body upgrade. Check with your dealer.

#8 ·
Dealer is now rebuilding the transmission 2nd time taking in. Mechanic and service manager both drove. This said it was minor, but it is a Lincoln and should not feel that way. I give them credit for rebuilding it. They actually have had for 1.5 week now and should be done any day. I have loaner while waiting. What might have helped is I contacted Lincoln to ask about the quality....also when I took in and camera and rear sensor for auto open hatch went out as well. 6 things actually in the first week I had it and it was suppose to have passed their 200 point inspection of certified Lincoln. Kind of made a case for them to make it right since I have been in a loaner for 1K miles more than my actual car. Will report back if it is resolved. I did refer them to TSB and SSM on it that I had been made aware of.

#9 ·
Just took my 2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 Black Label in yesterday with the reported hard shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. I already got a call back today saying they noticed the hard shifting and they want to remove the transmission to inspect. I really don't want my car to be torn apart, but that may be the only solution? Frustrating!

#10 ·
Transmission rebuilt and smooth as can be and no issues. They did put in a new torque converter in and some of the other small parts that many claim fix the issue. @landlord, if they are going to do the same for you I would not worry to much as it seems to fix this issue that is common or at least reported for some and known. I don't think they will tear too much apart other than what is needed to give you the smooth shifted you expect. If you have a black label you definitely want to make sure you are happy with the feel. My experience was good on this particular matter so I say if they are willing to dig deep in and check or replace anything worn, it may be worth it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.