20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 05-23-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MKC vs NX by the Figures

This seems to be a consistent choice considered by the membership here, now that we have more robust specifications available lets have a look at how the two newest premium compact crossovers will compete. Unfortunately NX has still not been priced for North America so that conversation will have to wait for another day.

Engines

MKC: 2.0L Ecoboost 4 Cylinder or 2.3L Ecoboost 4 Cylinder
NX: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder or 2.5L Hybrid 4 Cylinder

Power and Torque

MKC: 2.0L (240 hp/ 270 lb-ft) 2.3L (275 hp/ 305 lb-ft)
NX: 2.0L (235 hp/258 lb-ft) 2.5L H (194 hp/ NA)

Dimensions in Inches (LxWxH)

MKC: 179.2 x 84.1 x 65.2
NX: 182.3 x 72.6 x 64.8

Wheelbase

MKC: 105.9 in
NX: 104.7 in

Unfortunately Lexus hasn't provided us with interior dimensions either so we cannot compare the two on that basis as of yet, however these are MKC's interior dimensions we can fill in the NX later

Interior Dimensions

MKC:

Headroom
38.7 in (983 mm): Front
38.1 in (969 mm): Rear

Legroom
42.0 in (1068 mm): Front
38.3 in (973 mm): Rear

Hiproom
55.7 in (1415 mm): Front
53.8 in (1367 mm): Rear

Shoulder Room
58.7 in (1490 mm): Front
57.2 in (1454 mm): Rear

NX:

???
post #2 of 42 Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I looked into the NX a bit more and it seems like it will be for those that want something much more sportier and more sports-car like. Meanwhile the MKC is more relaxed, that alone should create a good divide.

goepfrich and JefffromNH like this.
post #3 of 42 Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
the front of that Nx is horrendous..design on crack

post #4 of 42 Old 05-24-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great post!
The comparison is very appreciated.
I'm surprised that they are that comparable in size and dimensions. It will certainly come down to price and brand recognition.
humpty dumpty and JefffromNH like this.
post #5 of 42 Old 05-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
humpty dumpty, thanks for posting the photos & figures re MKC vs NX.
I'm not much of a fan of the (polarizing) styling on the NX, but I guess some people will like it. It's obvious that Lexus, with their "road warrior" NX, are targeting quite a different demographic as compared to Lincoln, with their elegantly styled MKC.
humpty dumpty and goepfrich like this.

Last edited by rbreeze; 05-24-2014 at 06:57 AM.
post #6 of 42 Old 05-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Sometimes a dramatically styled vehicle just needs a little time to sink in. The Cherokee for example, went from being roundly criticized then to acceptance and now the majority of people think it's actually quite attractive. I can't say the NX will follow the pattern. I think it's more likely to reach acceptance and stop there. Some will surely find it attractive, but that grille is just so polarizing I suspect there will always be those who will be put off by it. It appears Lexus wants it that way. I find the MKC's exterior far more elegant (and far less likely to frighten small children). Isn't that what a luxury car is suppose to be? Elegant?

I do like the Lexus interior. It seems a bit cramped, or maybe "cozy" is a better word, but it's quite attractive in a chunky sort of way. The seats will have to be amazing to one-up the MKC's chairs, however. I also like the Lexus' traditional shifter. E-shifters seem to be the answer to the question nobody asked. At least Lincoln uses push-buttons to free up console space. The BMW's electronic shifters don't save any room, and functionally they're inferior to a traditional gated shifter. So what's the point?

Speaking of the shifter, when you are visiting your Lincoln dealerships, ask the salesperson how you get the car into neutral if it won't start and you have to have it towed. I asked mine, the dealership's Sales Manager, and he had absolutely no idea how the car goes into neutral without power. I could see by the look on his face he was shocked by the question as well as concerned about what the answer might be. You can bet tow truck drivers won't know what to do, so MKC owners need to find out.

I recall a story on the BMW forums about an X1 that broke down shortly after leaving the dealership. Blocking traffic and without a way to get it into neutral, the flat bed driver hooked it up and dragged it onto the flatbed with all four wheels locked! You can imagine the potential damage that would cause. Apparently there is a way to disengage the BMW's transmission without power, but it seems to be a well kept secret because after nearly two years of ownership I never did find out.
humpty dumpty likes this.
post #7 of 42 Old 05-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Sometimes a dramatically styled vehicle just needs a little time to sink in. The Cherokee for example, went from being roundly criticized then to acceptance and now the majority of people think it's actually quite attractive. I can't say the NX will follow the pattern. I think it's more likely to reach acceptance and stop there. Some will surely find it attractive, but that grille is just so polarizing I suspect there will always be those who will be put off by it. It appears Lexus wants it that way. I find the MKC's exterior far more elegant (and far less likely to frighten small children). Isn't that what a luxury car is suppose to be? Elegant?

I do like the Lexus interior. It seems a bit cramped, or maybe "cozy" is a better word, but it's quite attractive in a chunky sort of way. The seats will have to be amazing to one-up the MKC's chairs, however. I also like the Lexus' traditional shifter. E-shifters seem to be the answer to the question nobody asked. At least Lincoln uses push-buttons to free up console space. The BMW's electronic shifters don't save any room, and functionally they're inferior to a traditional gated shifter. So what's the point?

Speaking of the shifter, when you are visiting your Lincoln dealerships, ask the salesperson how you get the car into neutral if it won't start and you have to have it towed. I asked mine, the dealership's Sales Manager, and he had absolutely no idea how the car goes into neutral without power. I could see by the look on his face he was shocked by the question as well as concerned about what the answer might be. You can bet tow truck drivers won't know what to do, so MKC owners need to find out.

I recall a story on the BMW forums about an X1 that broke down shortly after leaving the dealership. Blocking traffic and without a way to get it into neutral, the flat bed driver hooked it up and dragged it onto the flatbed with all four wheels locked! You can imagine the potential damage that would cause. Apparently there is a way to disengage the BMW's transmission without power, but it seems to be a well kept secret because after nearly two years of ownership I never did find out.
Possibly Page 174/175 of the Owner's Manual can help...speaks to "brake-shift interlock override." Does say 12 volt battery needs to operating. If not, guess the tow truck could provide that?

Brake-Shift Interlock Override
Do not drive your vehicle until you verify that the brake lamps are working.

E155990
WARNINGS
MKC (TME), enUSA

Transmission
WARNINGS
When doing this procedure, you will
be taking the vehicle out of park which means the vehicle can roll freely. To avoid unwanted vehicle movement, always fully set the parking brake prior to doing this procedure. Use wheel chocks if appropriate.
If the parking brake is fully released,
but the brake warning lamp remains illuminated, the brakes may not be working properly. See your authorized dealer.
Note: See your authorized dealer as soon as possible if this procedure is used.
Note: For some markets this feature is disabled.
Note: This feature will only function if your 12-volt battery has power.
Use the brake-shift interlock override to move your transmission from the park position in the event of an electrical malfunction or if your vehicle has a dead battery.
1. Apply the parking brake and turn your ignition off before performing this procedure.
E180636
2. Locate your brake-shift interlock access slot. The slot is located in your center console storage bin. The access slot does not have a label.
Note: Make sure that you correctly identify the access hole as not to damage the media hub.
3. Using a tool, press and hold the brake shift interlock switch. The shift buttons on the instrument panel will flash when your vehicle is in override mode.
4. With the override switch still held, press the N (Neutral button) to shift from park.
5. Release the override button.
6. Your vehicle will remain in Stay in Neutral mode for wrecker towing purposes or can be shifted to the desired gear and driven (if possible).
7. Release the parking brake.
humpty dumpty and rbreeze like this.
post #8 of 42 Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTom View Post
Possibly Page 174/175 of the Owner's Manual can help...speaks to "brake-shift interlock override." Does say 12 volt battery needs to operating. If not, guess the tow truck could provide that?

Brake-Shift Interlock Override
Do not drive your vehicle until you verify that the brake lamps are working.

E155990
WARNINGS
MKC (TME), enUSA

Transmission
WARNINGS
When doing this procedure, you will
be taking the vehicle out of park which means the vehicle can roll freely. To avoid unwanted vehicle movement, always fully set the parking brake prior to doing this procedure. Use wheel chocks if appropriate.
If the parking brake is fully released,
but the brake warning lamp remains illuminated, the brakes may not be working properly. See your authorized dealer.
Note: See your authorized dealer as soon as possible if this procedure is used.
Note: For some markets this feature is disabled.
Note: This feature will only function if your 12-volt battery has power.
Use the brake-shift interlock override to move your transmission from the park position in the event of an electrical malfunction or if your vehicle has a dead battery.
1. Apply the parking brake and turn your ignition off before performing this procedure.
E180636
2. Locate your brake-shift interlock access slot. The slot is located in your center console storage bin. The access slot does not have a label.
Note: Make sure that you correctly identify the access hole as not to damage the media hub.
3. Using a tool, press and hold the brake shift interlock switch. The shift buttons on the instrument panel will flash when your vehicle is in override mode.
4. With the override switch still held, press the N (Neutral button) to shift from park.
5. Release the override button.
6. Your vehicle will remain in Stay in Neutral mode for wrecker towing purposes or can be shifted to the desired gear and driven (if possible).
7. Release the parking brake.
I believe that's it. Good find! For most owners I'm sure it will never be needed. But it is a good idea to understand that it can be done, even if the exact procedure isn't committed to memory.
post #9 of 42 Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
All fords already have shift lock and there is a manual override...

however, I've been trying to find one specific to MKZ as it too has push to shift and have not been able to locate!
post #10 of 42 Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpty dumpty View Post
This seems to be a consistent choice considered by the membership here, now that we have more robust specifications available lets have a look at how the two newest premium compact crossovers will compete. Unfortunately NX has still not been priced for North America so that conversation will have to wait for another day.

Engines

MKC: 2.0L Ecoboost 4 Cylinder or 2.3L Ecoboost 4 Cylinder
NX: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder or 2.5L Hybrid 4 Cylinder

Power and Torque

MKC: 2.0L (240 hp/ 270 lb-ft) 2.3L (275 hp/ 305 lb-ft)
NX: 2.0L (235 hp/258 lb-ft) 2.5L H (194 hp/ NA)

Dimensions in Inches (LxWxH)

MKC: 179.2 x 84.1 x 65.2
NX: 182.3 x 72.6 x 64.8

Wheelbase

MKC: 105.9 in
NX: 104.7 in

Unfortunately Lexus hasn't provided us with interior dimensions either so we cannot compare the two on that basis as of yet, however these are MKC's interior dimensions we can fill in the NX later

Interior Dimensions

MKC:

Headroom
38.7 in (983 mm): Front
38.1 in (969 mm): Rear

Legroom
42.0 in (1068 mm): Front
38.3 in (973 mm): Rear

Hiproom
55.7 in (1415 mm): Front
53.8 in (1367 mm): Rear

Shoulder Room
58.7 in (1490 mm): Front
57.2 in (1454 mm): Rear

NX:

???
I have the MKC right now, and I don't see any NX anywhere. Which figure has won at this point?

Even if the NX is here, I don't see how it could come close to Lincoln's 2.3L version using 87 octane because I will be still in the front with 275hp*.

Exclusive keyless entry pad, kick-in open/close powered hatch, bridge of weir leather, and Lincoln's signature full-width LED rear lights (especially when you are the one biting the dust in my rear-view mirror ).

Checkmate!

--------------------------
* 285hp @ 93 octane fuel.

Last edited by psychoart; 08-12-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page