Garage
(Thread Starter)
Red face MKC Vs. Lexus RX 350

Has anyone been shopping both cars ?
The least expensive Lexus i can buy is $43,700.00
That is without Navigation.
I am looking at a Premiere MKC for $3,3700.00

Is the Lexus worth $10,000.00 more.
I know Lexus has the best resale value,but i paid $10,000.00 less for the MKC.

What is your opinion ?
post #2 of 15 Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
We're trading in an RX400h 2nd generation RX. The RX350 is in a size class much closer to the MKX than the MKC. We wanted to go down in size slightly if we could, and once we found that the MKC and Cherokee were suitable, we took a pass on looking at the MKX, SRX and RX.

Frankly, if you're looking at the base MKC you probably ought to look at a Cherokee, since a loaded one is close in price to a base MKC.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Do you really need all the space an MKC and Lexus RX has, because if not, you may want to look into getting the Lexus NX that should be out soon, it just might meet all your needs and requirements.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desgnr View Post
Has anyone been shopping both cars ?
The least expensive Lexus i can buy is $43,700.00
That is without Navigation.
I am looking at a Premiere MKC for $3,3700.00

Is the Lexus worth $10,000.00 more.
I know Lexus has the best resale value,but i paid $10,000.00 less for the MKC.

What is your opinion ?
After having driven the MKC and experiencing first hand Ford service, I'm going to stick with Lexus. That and the fact that I priced a new 2015 RX350 Touring for $1k LESS than the sticker on the top line MKC makes it a no brainer if I were to buy today. Yes there isn't a pano roof, and a few other accessories that I don't really need, it'll be the overall ownership experience that makes the difference for me. That, the resale, reliability, mileage equivalency of a V6 VS the turbo 4 in real use and lets face it; prestige. I'm just holding out now for the NX and a look at the '16 RX. No rush as our 2009 RX is still as bulletproof as always .
post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I still can't figure out why there isn't a panoramic roof on the US RX350. Toyota/Lexus have the option available in other countries. That was a deal breaker for us. The roof and the fact that the RX350 is almost 9 inches longer than the MKC. The MKC is already a tight fit in our garage and I would have had to do some rearranging to get a bigger vehicle in there.
psychoart likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The RX is frequently cross shopped against this class just because there's no offering from Lexus in the CUV market until the NX becomes available. The RX and MKX sit on the low end of the mid-size segment at roughly 188" long, whereas the MKC is one of the shortest in the CUV segment at 179". The MKX and RX are very similar in price.

The NX the pano roof, which isn't even available in the US, will not be able to be opened.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Florida Matt
You are going from a Lexus to a MKC ,(reason Why )
What about the Lexus NX ?

Last edited by desgnr; 09-02-2014 at 02:45 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desgnr View Post
Florida Matt
You are going from a Lexus to a MKC ,(reason Why )
What about the Lexus NX ?
6 years ago we downsized from a Chrysler minivan to an RX400h for a couple of reasons. New house, new smaller garage. No real need for a 3rd seat anymore.

While the RX fits in the garage, and a newer RX would also, we started this round of car buying with the question of whether we wanted a compact or midsize CUV. I'd had an SRX loaner for a few days, and my wife had a new RX450h loaner for a few days, and both felt much bigger than our current RX.
So, we thought we'd look at the compact CUVs first to see if the rear seat room would be ok for day trips with friends. When the Jeep Cherokee and MKC were, we decided to look closer at the Cherokee, MKC and NX (when it came out). Other compact CUVs (RDX, Q5, X3) were not on the list due to not having alll the right equipment like adaptive cruise and cooled/ventilated seats.

Our original plan was to wait until the NX was available, and test-drive all 3 on the same day. But the more we learned about the NX, and the more pictures we saw of it, the less interesting it became. So, we decided to go ahead and look closer at the Cherokee and MKC. After the Date Night test drive my wife asked if we really needed to wait to look at the NX, and we've been married long enough for me to understand that that was not a question.

Note that for us, comparisons against other cars weren't made agains a base MKC. For us a suitable MKC begins with the Reserve trim, adds technology, THX, CCD and a couple of other items. We don't have NX pricing yet, but if it can be as well equipped at all, it'll likely come at a Lexus price as well

It's funny how car packaging works. The current (gen 3) RX is almost exactly the size of our Gen2, but feels bigger. The MKC is 8 inches shorter, and feels no smaller than our RX.

Last edited by FloridaMatt; 09-02-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I can't wait to see what lexus does to the next lexus rx. how they redesign it and if it gets bigger, which is what i heard might happen, especially with the new NX being out.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The RX was too big for me, I like how a smaller car handles better,
I considered the NX but chose the MKC because:

1) I drive highway to work every day and the active lane keeping system on the MKC allows you to select either vibration, active steering, or both, while the Lexus requires vibrating steering wheel on first before steering aid can be turned on second. Coming from the Cherokee where steering assistance was all it did, no vibrating option, I think having the vibrating on all the time would become annoying.
2) I don't like the new Lexus styling, I'm in my 40s now and it looks like something a kid might want to show off aggressiveness. I prefer the look of luxury.
3) The active dampening suspension system set to soft gives a great ride, even better than the Cherokee, which had a great ride but no adaptive dampening so it got bouncy on the bumps.
4) Lincoln $2,000 rebate made it easy to get $3,500 off the $51.4k sticker price with less haggling, plus 0% financing for 60 months saves thousands more in interest every year.
5) 285 hp vs 235 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page