LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Navigation Question

Had our MKC 8 months now and the wife loves it. No problems but a question has developed.

In California the majority of freeways have HOV (or carpool) lanes for use when you have 2 or more people in the vehicle.

When our car was first purchased we noticed the Nav system would advise us to enter the HOV lanes when we had 2 front seat passengers, or so it seemed anyway. This would not be a complex algorithm to determine if we could legally us the HOV lanes so we thought we had a pretty cool feature that had been unknown to us.

Recently however the NAV system has been telling us to "Enter the HOV lanes" when only a driver is in the car

So it begs the question if we were imagining a non-existing feature or if it's no longer working. Going to the dealer shortly for an oil change and would appreciate any inputs.
post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
That is a good question, while it is possible to detect 2 passengers and suggest/direct usage of the HOV lane, I just don't see the effort to appease a minority of customers. That's only my thought process, but if they really did do it than hat's off! Let us know what you discover.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update..........
Chk'd with the chat room at the Lincoln website yesterday yielding a phone number to the Vehicle Tech Dept.
Being an engineer I was hopeful that I could speak to someone in "engineeze" this morning and get the answer.
Went thru 3 call transfers and the final input is: "We don't know but you could contact the 3rd party vendor who wrote and supports the Nav software, perhaps you need an SD update."
Just chk'd the navigation.com website which states 16 MKC Nav is up to date.
Can you imagine the response one would get from their dealer????

15MSM's comments are valid however I find it strange that the Nav system would tell you to enter the HOV lanes just because they are present and you may/may not be legal to enter. Maybe Lincoln would pay the fine!
Having been surrounded by software engineers my entire career I know they love to include more features than initially spec'd if memory exists and support tech is available - they figure it's just more lines of code.
I'll continue to dig for an answer and advise.
2015 MSM likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
On the various (read: ubiquitous) toll roads in Florida, many have high speed express lanes for those with the appropriate device -- Sunpass for us. I've seen car gps's (Lexus, Lincoln and a couple different Cadillacs) and standalone Garmins and TomToms all favor the express lanes without advising the driver about toll considerations.

Frankly, I think it's simply because going straight is calculated as being faster than "exiting" to the cash booths. HOV lanes are likely being seen as faster as well, so they get preference.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
HOV lanes here in Canada carry a fine if only ONE person is in that car....I would imagine the same applies to HOV's in the USA...my stand alone Garmin offers options to include toll roads/highways in a route....in my case I know where our HOV lanes are, so I checked marked NO to HOV's....and it responds accordingly....on a previous thread I was discussing basic algorithms of how to save a destination name; in the case of the Lincoln's MKC, it seems it only saves an address as it's found (2016 High Park Ave North) when you try to save it, it offers no option to save it as you would like; ( wife's work, or Tom's office) you MUST save it as the address found, then go back in, locate it and hit edit, then edit the address.....are we back in 2001?.....it's pretty frustrating!
In my work trucks I used Garmin expressly; ease of use,problem free and all features are geared toward the end user....I used to save clients address in simple format : Client; Mr & Mrs jack Smith....and that was it....if I had an appointment with the Smith's, go to "Where would you like to go" choose saved, scroll to the Smith's and you're done, simple and very effective!

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Finally got around to taking the MKC into the local dealer this week for the first oil change/dealer visit and figured I'd address my question about the "Enter HOV Lane" direction.
As I sorta figured we were imagining the direction mentioned earlier in the thread and the solution is to uncheck the "Use HOV lanes" box in Nav preferences.
Guess I was reaching a bit regarding Nav features.

At the risk of taking the thread "off topic" I will give the local southern Orange County Ford/Lincoln dealer high marks.
The service adviser was great, actually knew something about cars. Said he had not heard about my comment/questions, although he thought if wasn't imbedded in the NAV logic said they would dig into it.
Had a new MKC loaner ready and said he would call when our car was ready the following morning.
Valet brought out the car which was freshly cleaned inside and out and proceeded to wipe a few remaining drops before handing us the key fob.
I've owned the high end German and Japanese brands previously and while it's only one visit they've created a satisfied customer.
Just hope I continue to see them only for regular maintenance.......
2015 MSM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page