Lincoln is pushing the MKC hard in production and advertising - Lincoln MKC Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lincoln is pushing the MKC hard in production and advertising

The Lincoln MKC is the most recent Lincoln on the market, and Lincoln has put a lot of its eggs in the MKC basket. I thought that I'd write a bit to connect the dots between a few different aspects of the MKC's production and marketing.

The small premium utility vehicle segment is the fastest growing segment in North America. You can check out the graph below to see how its comparing with other segments. Analysts say that the segment should see an increase of 300 percent between now and the year 2018. Given that the MKC is in this segment, it seems that Lincoln has come out with the right car at the right time.

Lincoln knows that this segment is heating up and that is why it has invested heavily in MKC production at its Louisville Assembly Plant. Lincoln has hired 300 new employees and invested $129m in the plant, all to support MKC production. The upgrades make the plant more flexible so that it can build multiple models at the same time, and be more reactive to changes in demand. Even before that investment, Ford had invested an additional $600m in the same plant for the same purpose.

LIncoln thinks that it has a winner on its hands, but the brand still faces the challenge of getting the word out. Joe Phillippi, president of Auto Trends Consulting, says that "getting people to pay attention to Lincoln -- which has always been associated with grandpa's car -- is going to take a lot of clever advertising... They're going to have to spend a lot of marketing money to impress upon people that this is different." Indeed, Lincoln has laid down an impressive advertising campaign.

Matthew McConaughey has signed a multi-year endorsement deal that will begin in September. The first ads will focus on the 2015 MKC. This ad campaign should help Lincoln to sell MKCs to its target demographic, which includes younger people, 1st time buyers, young couples, small families, and empty nesters.

So that's me connecting the dots. It's all connected.

rocmkc and TxTom like this.
post #2 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Good move, so far they seem to have some great products, now to let their crazy marketing to some work to hopefully push volume up enough.

post #3 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How much do you think that marketing campaigns really affect the sales of a vehicle? Can a good ad campaign sell a car? can a bad ad campaign kill a car? Or is the advertising really a non-starter anyway?

post #4 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I think a *good* marketing campaign can bring in possible buyers who might not otherwise have looked at a particular car. Dating myself, I recall the story about how Bob and Ray made some amazing commercials for Piels beer and sales went up. And then dropped back down, after people drank some of it.

Anyway, as a new car, and as a clear break from what Lincoln's been like for some time, the MKC ought to be able to make sales happen if it's looked at and driven. Marketing's #1 job is to get people into the showroom.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I think they need to combine these typical marketing efforts with getting people behind the wheel of them. that's really effective.

post #6 of 16 Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
post #7 of 16 Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Spied: Lincoln Gives Refreshed 2018 MKC Some Continental Kit

Looks like there are some nice improvements coming in 2018 if this is correct. I hope the 9-speed transmission is correct, it is really needed against other SUVs in this class and should add a few more MPG. I did read somewhere else that Ford, unlike GM, is going to drop a gear and make it a 8-speed.

Spied: Lincoln Gives Refreshed 2018 MKC Some Continental Kit
post #8 of 16 Old 08-01-2017, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Radius:

This might be a 2019 version. The 2018 is not changing significantly other than color choices. See http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...LincolnMKC.pdf for details.

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.0T AWD
Palladium White Gold with Cappuccino Interior
Tech Package, THX and Towing Package
Built 2017-03-22
post #9 of 16 Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yea, too bad. But I guess I did read somewhere else that there is going to be a major platform change for the Escape/ MKC in 2018. Makes since for the change to happen then.

It is sure taking them a long time to get the new 9-speed transmissions into production. I think it is really need to be competitive and to raise the gas mileage.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-03-2017, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Ford is behind on the 6-spd tranny still used in most everything. The 10-spd is making it's way into a few models, but 10 may be too many for most vehicles. 8 is about perfect. I've read 9 is often too many in some applications, and FCA had lots of issues with the earlier 9-speeds.

2015 MKC Reserve FWD: Ruby Red, THX, Technology Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page