• 1 Post By humpty dumpty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-24-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
PR is PR, MKC is Viral...

By now we've all seen the McConaughey MKC spots, its even more likely we've all seen the litany of parodies and internet prattle they've produced. You know what, thats a good thing.

Its of little consequence what McConaughey says or how contrived his aloof indifference is, the point is that people are talking, and talking about Lincoln. For too long the only conversation Lincoln could by found in was either among the elderly discussing how many EMPEEGEES they earn respectively, or among the Jalopnik faithful as some but end of a vaguely humours joke. But no MORE.

The fact that Lincoln has entered into the cultural/social scene even as a meme has significant effects for the brand. For example Ellen's parody has generated 4.2 million Youtube views. Now while Ellen may not be directly responsible for selling cars she does play an important role.

What the social impact of these meme's means is that there is no longer an uncool taboo stuck squarely on Lincoln's forehead. The name is mentioned, its no longer obscure, it becomes accepted (not that it was outcast). All these combine into a motley marketing mixture, the memes mean Lincoln is ok, it is socially acceptable conversation. And that in my opinion is the most powerful tool Lincoln can have in their back pocket...
kmccart likes this.
post #2 of 3 Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Agreed humpty dumpty. Upon showing my new MKC to friends, their first response was to comment that I bought the car from the McConaughey ad. They know I've had Lincolns and Mercurys, so they are brand aware, but the ad campaign is registering and sticking in people's minds.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-24-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
It doesn't matter what they remember you for, as long as they remember you.

So the parodies are working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page