Volvo XC60 Specs

Engine: 2.0-liter trubo fou-cylinder
Horsepower: 240
0-60 time: 6.1 seconds
EPA Estimate: 22 city / 30 mpg highway
Top Speed: 122 mph
MSRP $38,895
Length, width, height: 182.8 in, 74.4 in, 67.4 in

Both the Volvo XC60 and the Lincoln MKC are each brand's best selling model. Both are competing in a tough segment, but are doing a fine job playing with the big boys, like the Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Mercedes GLK.

In their base forms, both the XC60 and the MKC have identical horsepower figures. The MKC does have a higher top speed, but the XC60 is a bit better at accelerating, so the two remain quite equal when it comes to performance. One area where the XC60 clearly does come out on top of the MKC is in fuel economy though. The XC60 has about 4 more mpg both in the city and on the highway than the MKC.

It appears from reviews that the Volvo XC60 does a bit better when it comes to gripping the road. The MKC has a slightly higher centre of gravity than others in the segment while the XC60 comes in right around average. The XC60 measures 0.82 gs on the skid pad, while the MKC measured 0.83. not a large difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Both vehicles suffer from some issues with road noise, so we will call that a wash.

Another area where the XC60 wins out is safety features. Volvo is known for safety and its autonomous braking system is simply better than competitors. it isn't over zealous like some other systems are.

Ultimately from my findings, the two vehicles are evenly matched in many respects with the Volvo coming out ahead on just a few points. For those who care a lot about safety the Volvo may be the better choice. The Volvo also offers far more engine choices above the base than the MKC does.

What do you guys think of the Volvo XC60 vs. the Lincoln MKC?

See less See more
#3 ·
I went on the Volvo site and built a Volvo as close as I could come to our MKC.

I chose the cheapest Volvo AWD in White Ice (no extra cost for the paint) with the least expensive leather interior (soft beige). I also selected the Volvo climate package (which we have on our MKC) and the Volvo proximity package (gives you the keyless entry). The Volvo comes with a power liftgate which we also have on our MKC. Both the Volvo and our MKC have Nav and Bliss (Select Plus Package). Wood trim on the Volvo was an extra $400 and not nearly as pretty as the Zebrano wood in the MKC. I took the all weather mats and the reversible cargo mat off of our MSRP for comparison.

MKC MSRP: $42,590

VOLVO MSRP: $45,595

Difference in MSRP: $3,005 (Quite a difference)

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and owning an MKC, we're obviously biased, but I think the MKC is far better looking both inside and out. I prefer the MKC grill and the MKC rear end. On the inside, I could not find anything I liked better in the Volvo - the door panels, the overall look of the front dash, the control panel, or the center console. And as I said before, I think the woods offered in the MKC are aesthetically more pleasing to the eye.

Reactions: LincRTR
#6 ·
Yep. Besides being a previous Ford/Mercury/Lincoln owner and loving my MKC (and MKZ previously), I like the idea that I'm supporting a domestic company and economy. And, yes, I'm a car nut since childhood who does a lot of research and comparison before making any kind of major purchase, so I did look at the competition just to satisfy my curiosity. In fact, my dealer sells both Volvo and Lincoln and both he & I agreed that, overall, the MKC was preferable to the XC60. That's just me, of course...to each their own. Everyone's expectations and tolerances are different. That's what makes horse races.

Reactions: goepfrich
#8 ·
Both vehicles suffer from some issues with road noise, so we will call that a wash.
The MKC has an issue with road noise? The reviews I've read indicate the car is notably quiet, save for some engine noise during acceleration. Have I missed something??

#12 ·
MKC is by far the quietest vehicle and smoothest ride we've owned. No wind noise or pinging little stones in the doors and the only engine sound of acceleration in the cabin, is faux enhanced through the sound system.

On a side note Volvo CEO was just on CNBC. Volvo USA sales were down 8% for 2014 at 56,000 units.

#10 ·
Mine is very quiet and well behaving after almost 11 months of ownership!
These comparisons can't be coming from someone that has done long distance evaluations or they'd know the MKC is indeed quiet. Even the naysayer critiques have given it high scores on it's cabin silence.

Reactions: LeeB and Bob Evans
#11 ·
Thanks, Bruce. Confirms what I have read.

Reactions: Bob Evans
#15 ·
Mine is very quiet - yes there is some engine noise on acceleration but I'll admit that's driving less Eco and more Boost - on the occasion that passengers are with me they usually comment how quiet it is.

#17 ·
May 2015, USA & Canada Sales:

Lincoln MKC 2,667 up 24.5%

Volvo-XC60 1,908 down 3.3%

The Volvo's mpg was down there with MKC and the rest of the pack, in Road & Track's real world testing.

#22 ·
We test drove the XC60 a couple times last year when we were looking, and we were seriously considering the trip to Sweden that Volvo offers to get the car. The car is ultimately my wife's daily driver, and she couldn't get past the dashboard layout with the telephone keypad and the little dude for the climate controls. That didn't bother me too much since there were redundant controls on the steering wheel, but I agree it looked silly. One weird thing I noticed was there was a pass through in the center console between the driver side and the passenger side. I guess a woman might be able to put a handbag there, but it was strange wasted space. It seemed like it should have either been left open for more open feel, or make it actual storage, or put some speakers in it..something. It was odd. Also, the center console was very rigid, and I couldn't get truly comfortable with my elbow resting on it no matter how I adjusted it or the seat.

I really like the exterior looks though.

#25 ·
The Lincoln Motor Company (also known simply as Lincoln) is a division of the Ford Motor Company that sells luxury vehicles under the Lincoln brand. While currently sold primarily in North America and the Middle East, Ford has introduced the Lincoln brand to China in November 2014. Lincoln vehicles are also officially sold in South Korea and Japan.

All Lincoln's only sold around 100,000 globally in 2014, they hope to grow to 300,000 by 2020, but I don't feel that will happen, unless they expand their market real fast.

Reactions: JefffromNH
#26 ·
I will offer my 2 cents here as my daily driver has been a Volvo XC60 (6 cylinder R-Design) for about 10 months. I drove the MKC before deciding on the MKC & preferred the Volvo for several reasons, although I am not thrilled that Volvo is owned by a Chinese company.

1-While the Volvo configuration I purchased is somewhat more expensive (6 cylinder R-Design), I love the performance (this version is 325HP & moves fast!).
2- It may be perception, but the Volvo feels just a bit larger & I felt like I needed a bit more space after previously driving a 2011 Ford Explorer. I would have taken a good look at the new MKX if it was available, but could not wait another full year.
3- Volvo seats (in this case R-Design sport seats) are the most comfortable I have ever sat in. I am a high mileage driver & have neck & back issues. None of the other premium cars (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln) provide me with the same comfort) but that's me. It may not be for everyone. This is my 5th Volvo. After 3 years or so driving a Volvo, I decide to get something else & always go back to Volvo.

Having said that, the MKC is a terrific car & we are planning on buying one to replace my wife's BMW 328i. She has driven it & loves the size, ride, & style. Just waiting for her to decide on color & then we will get either a 2015 or 2016, depending on availability.

Reactions: JefffromNH
#28 ·
I looked at the XC60 but couldn't get over the fact that it just looked like an XC90 with a bit of the hood trimmed off. And, honestly, for some reason, I just felt the Volvo was definitely more of a woman's car than the Lincoln. I figured if anyone said otherwise, at least I had the Matthew McConaughey commercials to back up my view on the Lincoln.

I also picked the Lincoln over the Volvo based on already being a Ford owner, with my 2014 Mustang GT, and having a stellar ownership experience with that car. I had 58k miles on it and had only been to the dealership for oil changes. All my Hondas had at least had SOME issue by then.

Third, I do like the buy America aspect, and have a sizable chunk of Ford stock that I own as well. I was prepared to cash it out to pay for my MKC, but the magic they were able to work with rebates and 1.9% financing was attractive enough that I didn't bother.

#31 ·
Im still on the fence regarding the gear stick..... I dunno, the button selector works but I much rather if it had a normal selector.....it still feels a lil vague to me.

#32 ·
When working out of snow, I sometimes have to rock back & forth a bit. It seems much faster & easier with a gear lever. Otherwise it is just about having a place to rest my hand while driving.

#34 ·
So far so good country guy.....we really have not had much snow to put it to the test...the only ONE reason I would like the stick over buttons is for rocking a car back and forth...the electronics buttons are decidedly slower to engage a back and forth motion between forward and reverse gears.
With that said, I considered two important facts tho....(A)
Im dealing with an all wheel drive powertrain and (B) high quality winter Michelin ice tires....Im sure the combination of both will get me unstuck if need be...
Not sure what your temps are today country guy,but where I am it's reading -27C...last night for the first time I actually plugged in the block heater when I drove her into the garage....hopefully it will keep the oil from turning (thickening) into (almost) grease! LOL....it's pretty cold up here!...That's additional strain I do not wish to add to my oil pump and oil galleys!
By mid next week, I'll feel confident taking my Can Am on Rice lake for an extended ride....nothing grips on ice like a set of 4 overly aggressive tires that Can Am comes with! been in some pretty deep mud bogs in the summer and checked it out over Rice lake, and both instances, it blew me away at the traction it has, weight not withstanding being an 800 lbs toy...They usually post ice thickness and safety information once weekly on lake ice conditions...not sure who does it,( OPP maybe) but it's a great way to educate the public on the dangers of driving on thin ice!
Have you plugged in your block heater in the C country guy?

#35 ·
Out here in the country it went to -32 C last night....up at the airport it was -39 C with a windchill of -47 C....BRRRRR! Nope, I have not plugged in the block heater. My car is parked in an insulated but not heated garage. It does not get that cold in there. The only time I have plugged in my cars is when I know it is going down into the low minus 30s and I know I will have to start the car at 7 am to go to work. I don't plan on going anywhere today or tomorrow and it has already warmed up to a balmy -19 C :)

You couldn't pay me enough to go out on the ice...I don't care how thick the ice is. Just this past week a snow mobile trail grooming machine went through the ice on a pond and sunk to the bottom. Fortunately the driver was able to get out of the cab with no serious injuries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.