Volvo XC60 Specs

Engine: 2.0-liter trubo fou-cylinder
Horsepower: 240
0-60 time: 6.1 seconds
EPA Estimate: 22 city / 30 mpg highway
Top Speed: 122 mph
MSRP $38,895
Length, width, height: 182.8 in, 74.4 in, 67.4 in

Both the Volvo XC60 and the Lincoln MKC are each brand's best selling model. Both are competing in a tough segment, but are doing a fine job playing with the big boys, like the Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Mercedes GLK.

In their base forms, both the XC60 and the MKC have identical horsepower figures. The MKC does have a higher top speed, but the XC60 is a bit better at accelerating, so the two remain quite equal when it comes to performance. One area where the XC60 clearly does come out on top of the MKC is in fuel economy though. The XC60 has about 4 more mpg both in the city and on the highway than the MKC.

It appears from reviews that the Volvo XC60 does a bit better when it comes to gripping the road. The MKC has a slightly higher centre of gravity than others in the segment while the XC60 comes in right around average. The XC60 measures 0.82 gs on the skid pad, while the MKC measured 0.83. not a large difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Both vehicles suffer from some issues with road noise, so we will call that a wash.

Another area where the XC60 wins out is safety features. Volvo is known for safety and its autonomous braking system is simply better than competitors. it isn't over zealous like some other systems are.

Ultimately from my findings, the two vehicles are evenly matched in many respects with the Volvo coming out ahead on just a few points. For those who care a lot about safety the Volvo may be the better choice. The Volvo also offers far more engine choices above the base than the MKC does.

What do you guys think of the Volvo XC60 vs. the Lincoln MKC?

JefffromNH likes this.
post #2 of 35 Old 05-15-2015, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Volvo is now owned by China as such won't get anymore of my hard earned money.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I went on the Volvo site and built a Volvo as close as I could come to our MKC.

I chose the cheapest Volvo AWD in White Ice (no extra cost for the paint) with the least expensive leather interior (soft beige). I also selected the Volvo climate package (which we have on our MKC) and the Volvo proximity package (gives you the keyless entry). The Volvo comes with a power liftgate which we also have on our MKC. Both the Volvo and our MKC have Nav and Bliss (Select Plus Package). Wood trim on the Volvo was an extra $400 and not nearly as pretty as the Zebrano wood in the MKC. I took the all weather mats and the reversible cargo mat off of our MSRP for comparison.

MKC MSRP: $42,590

VOLVO MSRP: $45,595

Difference in MSRP: $3,005 (Quite a difference)

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and owning an MKC, we're obviously biased, but I think the MKC is far better looking both inside and out. I prefer the MKC grill and the MKC rear end. On the inside, I could not find anything I liked better in the Volvo - the door panels, the overall look of the front dash, the control panel, or the center console. And as I said before, I think the woods offered in the MKC are aesthetically more pleasing to the eye.
LincRTR likes this.

2015 MKC AWD / 2.0L
White Platinum Exterior /White Sands Interior
Select Package / Select Plus Package / Climate Package / Power Liftgate / All Weather Mats / Reversible Cargo Mat

Build Date: 11/20/14

post #4 of 35 Old 05-15-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goepfrich View Post
Volvo is now owned by China as such won't get anymore of my hard earned money.
Volvo just announced this week building a plant in USA. I wounder what this will do to the brand and prices of vehicles going forward. Probably be easy to get parts then.

Volvo factory to bring 4,000 jobs to South Carolina - May. 11, 2015
Bob Evans likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefffromNH View Post
Volvo just announced this week building a plant in USA. I wounder what this will do to the brand and prices of vehicles going forward. Probably be easy to get parts then.

Volvo factory to bring 4,000 jobs to South Carolina - May. 11, 2015

The profit still goes to China!

2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.3 Reserve 19" 5-spoke Climate Pkg. Ingot Silver/Ebony
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 3.6 20" Bright Silver/Black
post #6 of 35 Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Yep. Besides being a previous Ford/Mercury/Lincoln owner and loving my MKC (and MKZ previously), I like the idea that I'm supporting a domestic company and economy. And, yes, I'm a car nut since childhood who does a lot of research and comparison before making any kind of major purchase, so I did look at the competition just to satisfy my curiosity. In fact, my dealer sells both Volvo and Lincoln and both he & I agreed that, overall, the MKC was preferable to the XC60. That's just me, of course...to each their own. Everyone's expectations and tolerances are different. That's what makes horse races.
goepfrich likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINC View Post
The profit still goes to China!
True, but the jobs and salaries go to Americans. Ditto for at least some of the money that goes to suppliers.

Almost everything is multinational these days. I'd rather see jobs here in the US than a US company employing mostly foreign labor and then moving their profits overseas as a tax dodge.

Last edited by FloridaMatt; 05-16-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 35 Old 05-17-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter090 View Post

Both vehicles suffer from some issues with road noise, so we will call that a wash.
The MKC has an issue with road noise? The reviews I've read indicate the car is notably quiet, save for some engine noise during acceleration. Have I missed something??
post #9 of 35 Old 05-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Mine does, rocks fill up in the doors and door jambs and create a lovely pinging and knocking noise as they bounce around from the wind blowing through my doors too.
post #10 of 35 Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is very quiet and well behaving after almost 11 months of ownership!
These comparisons can't be coming from someone that has done long distance evaluations or they'd know the MKC is indeed quiet. Even the naysayer critiques have given it high scores on it's cabin silence.
Bob Evans and LeeB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page