Lincoln & the MKC - Taking Stock & Looking Forward to 2016 - Page 2 - Lincoln MKC Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 12-19-2015, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
thanks guys but it's not the issue. I have been working with Lincoln engineers and Lincoln tech since the summer on this. i had a 15 year career in high level tech and security before I "retired" to be home with my son. Keep trying to tell them I don't think it's the app. Intervention with the car "fixes" it. It's not a signal thing, I used this system all last winter with only one failure from a mountaintop while skiing where I clearly had no signal. I'm standing right next to the car with my phone when it fails. My phone can have 5 bars and it still fails. What fixes it is starting the engine (which negates my whole "remote" feature LOL) and "reactivating" my Lincoln mobile IN the car again if my car has 1 bar or 5. When my system goes into shut down mode (meaning my schedule fails and I cannot access the car remotely i.e. Timeouts) and I get in my car and start it I get a message on my sync screen notifying me that "my Lincoln mobile is NOW active in the car" as if it was inactive- and when the system is working I do not get that message -because my Lincoln mobile has not been inactivated. My app functions fine.

Ive spent weeks and hours troubleshooting every angle with Lincoln and also know how the system works. The app does not connect to your car/modem. It connects to lincolns "cloud" ( servers/computers out in the Internet) through your cell phone service. The cars modem connects to Lincoln through the cloud. That's why you have the slight delay when you send a command. It goes to Lincoln first. Your scheduled starts are also stored there. Lincoln sees when we remote start or send commands that are successful. They can track our travels and pinpoint when we go out of service area (loss of signal from your cell phone - they know the part of the road that I drive my son to school and lose service for about 1/4 mile - I was quite surprised they knew this because they are definitely right - I drop calls there everytime) this is all done through my Lincoln mobile being active/connected in the car. When I troubleshoot with Lincoln they tell me they can see that my commands work (they are assuming the only commands I am sending are those they can see and work). What they can't see right now is when it doesn't work. Like when my car goes into this shutdown mode and my scheduled starts stop working and my manual remote commands fail/timeout. You know why? Because my Lincoln mobile or the modem in the car becomes inactive and it no longer communicates with Lincoln through the cloud. So that's why they don't see the failures. I don't understand why they don't see this. They have attempted to replace my TCU module, then attempted a reprogram of it to no avail. They have kept pointing to the app and telling me the next update will fix it. I've been through three updates now, no change.

What they can't seem to figure out is the WHY. Why is it going into inactive mode thus not allowing me to use remote features at random times? Sometimes it works for days, sometimes it shuts down within hours of being used. According to Lincoln our remote access goes into a "sleep or hibernation" mode after 14 days without you physically accessing the car with the fob. Protection if you are away and never drive the car after the remote starts for so long. It will also disable your scheduled starts too after 14 days. But that's what was happening with my car too. The scheduled starts were disabling themselves in a week or less. I know when you look up reasons for some of the things happening it points to a low battery condition. WELL , my app keeps reporting and throwing low battery warnings. They replaced my battery and insist nothing wrong there. Well, could it be because the app is "erroneously" reporting or seeing the battery as low that it, meaning the app itself, is deciding to shut down the remote services to further protect the battery voltage? But isn't it curious that starting the car and running the engine "fixes" it , albeit temporarily, because perhaps the battery is getting a boost of charge? No intervention with the app but intervention with the car by starting the engine even briefly "fixes" it?

Pretty annoying. Going shopping for less than two hours today I tried to start the car from inside (full cell phone service) and the remote system was already shut down. Today was first cold day we've had too literally since last winter, we've had unseasonably warm weather here. As I write a few hours after getting home and being able to access the car it is now dead again.

Last edited by mmoretti; 12-19-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Wow. Visitors to this site would think we are all killing batteries with a buggy remote app and the car is horrible. mmoretti, I really hope they get your concerns answered quickly. I will admit I have used the app in current and prior releases without issues, but not as frequently as you seem to.

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
post #13 of 22 Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite cruiser View Post
Wow. Visitors to this site would think we are all killing batteries with a buggy remote app and the car is horrible. mmoretti, I really hope they get your concerns answered quickly. I will admit I have used the app in current and prior releases without issues, but not as frequently as you seem to.
Ha, that's kind of what the dealer said. "Well we don't have anyone that uses it like you". Are you serious? Didn't I spend the $6995 as an option to USE it LOL. It was a major tipping point to buying this car over many others -no one had this feature.

Use it a lot, here's how it was used last year. I had it scheduled to start mon- fri in the morning - exactly how you should use it. To warm up your car before work/school. Then for skiing. About 4-5 days a week I send a remote start from our last chair lift. In between, some paranoid "I forgot to lock the car" commands. Also some random remote starts like I describe when shopping or other particular circumstances. I would hardly consider it excessive. Is it only supposed to work "some of the time" .. How about I pay Lincoln "some of the money". Sorry I'm getting impatient.

And no apparently we are all not killing batteries with a buggy app, just me :-).

post #14 of 22 Old 12-20-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
mmoretti:
Hi:
How did you get the greeting with your name & time on the Welcome screen ?
post #15 of 22 Old 12-20-2015, 11:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desgnr View Post
mmoretti:
Hi:
How did you get the greeting with your name & time on the Welcome screen ?
The new app update. If you recall the first version of the app greeted us that way ("good evening ______"). Then they took it away with the new version. It's back now, a nicer touch to greet you by name.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-06-2016, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inliner View Post
It seems that the majority of the people on this type of site are the ones with problems. Out of the thousands of vehicles sold this is miniscule. I have been very satisfied with my Taurus, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Flex, MKC. Have I been lucky or are they just making excellent vehicles ?
Forums encourage a negative sense of security. Think about a mainstream luxury vehicle like the MKC. Some of us on here are the exception as I joined to keep up to date with news, TSB's and to see everyone's color combinations and such, but most people who buy a Lincoln aren't going to bother joining a forum to fart around like me. They join when they're having problems to make others aware and/or find a fix. I've had mine for a year and 23k miles and it's been back for a couple of oil changes, a heated seat TSB and a rattle in the back cargo area. Otherwise I have no complaints other than some factory panel gap inconsistencies. Is my mostly trouble-free experience an anomaly? Probably on this forum, but in the real world I bet plenty of people have the same experience as I do.

2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 Reserve AWD - Tuxedo Black Metallic/Ebony - Tech package, driver assist, 20" Polished Wheels
2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.0L V8 - Shadow black, loaded
post #17 of 22 Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Critiques are foremost perceived as being negative. However, when someone spends the time to pinpoint the bad things, that person is very interested to change them to be good. Otherwise, why waste the efforts? Without (bad) feedback, there can be no improvement.

Last edited by psychoart; 01-06-2016 at 07:34 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Everybody has their hot button issues. Some are real, some are perceived, some are based on expectations. In addition to a 2015 MKC, I have a 2013 MKZh. I was just reading in the MKZ forum about the 2017 MKZ changes - and several people chimed in that there was finally going to be a real armrest (console). I've had my MKZh for 3 years and never noticed there was no real console armrest.

One of my hot button MKC issues was the placement of the stop/start and I complained long and hard to Lincoln - salesman, sales manager, dealership owner, concierge, etc. My issue was not about accidentally hitting it, my issue was that it was opposite to the MKZh. The MKZh had the Stop/Start at the top and Drive toward the bottom. Because I had the MKZ first for a couple years, I was constantly turning the MKC off thinking I was putting it into drive. They fixed it for free, but I would have paid to have it done. To me, a real problem is one that you would pay to have fixed.

Other than that, I too have just had oil changes and had them do the safety recall notices. I did have them fix the Sirius radio drop out even though it really did not affect me much. I would not have paid to have the fix since I had minimal dropouts - but since it was free, I had it done.

For folks who complain about Sync, I had an Acura before my MKC. Sync runs circles around AcuraLink - and the Acura was infinitely more expensive than my Lincoln! It is perception and expectations.

I read the forums, only really writing something if I have a complaint. I do occasionally try to answer folks questions - although most of the time it is just copying out something from the owners manual. I refrain from adding.... read the manual, stupid!

I would not have bought the MKC if I had not been so happy with my MKZh - and Lincoln in general. My two Lincolns are the first time I have ever had two cars of the same brand. And I will probably trade in the MKZ fir the new 2017 if it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures.
kmccart and midnite cruiser like this.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you have read any of my posts, you know I have had some minor issues. But I have to say I love driving my MKC. The power, the quiet, the fit and finish is very good (now that a couple of issues were addressed). My dealer is fantastic from the salesman to my service advisor. Shout out and kudos to Crest LINCOLN in Sterling Heights, Michigan!

Now I have to say, if anything else creeps up, yeah, I will look elsewhere and probably get a different (read foreign) brand. But if the issues stop here, I think I'll get another Lincoln in 14 months.

2015 MKC
Select +
2.3 AWD
Tuxedo black / ebony with Sonata Spin aluminum trim
Climate package
September 19, 2014 build date

2016 Black Label MKZ
2.0 AWD
Black tie / jet black center stage theme interior
post #20 of 22 Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanYouMKCmeNow View Post
If you have read any of my posts, you know I have had some minor issues. But I have to say I love driving my MKC. The power, the quiet, the fit and finish is very good (now that a couple of issues were addressed). My dealer is fantastic from the salesman to my service advisor. Shout out and kudos to Crest LINCOLN in Sterling Heights, Michigan!
Can't say enough good things about Crest Lincoln. Very professional and Shannon Orlando was a total pleasure to work with.
CanYouMKCmeNow likes this.

2016 MKC Black Label
Indulgence Theme
Notorious color
2.3L Ecoboost AWD
THX II
Sync 3 v3.0
Technology package
Climate package
Class II Trailer Towing
19-inch wheels
11/2015 Build