(Thread Starter)
Too cool - virtual butler

OK, Ill take one of these..

Bentley's Newest Luxury - A Holographic Butler In Your Car
post #2 of 17 Old 04-09-2016, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Some something else to go wrong with the car :-) And when the butler gives the wrong information...are you going to sue him virtually? LOL

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
post #3 of 17 Old 04-09-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
Some something else to go wrong with the car :-) And when the butler gives the wrong information...are you going to sue him virtually? LOL
I know LOL They do say its early production and they are still working on it.

One day the tech in cars wil get better, I know it. Think of it (my wife is in the tech field). Long ago computers were so complicated and the software was as well. My wife used to make ridiculous money that now equates to minimum wage high schooler being able to support today's technology on the same level. The technology and software today are ions better than it was even just 10 years ago and it continues to improve. And so does the "bank" of skilled people to support it. My wife has watched the tech field and her job evolve.

Now support has greatly been reduced by the better technology. This will happen with cars too. It's the future, it's what people want in their cars these days (at least I think in my generation and younger for sure, it's what we grew up on)

So I look forward to all the new tech and just like in the old days of a Windows blue screen of death (which I used to see on a regular basis and can't even remember the last problem I had now) the days of the buggy car tech will get better too. Have hope!. It's only going to get cooler and better from here, I can't wait!

post #4 of 17 Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM

I have been in I.T. for 35 years so I have seen all the changes that have taken place as well. Geez, when I was taking computer science in university we were still using punch cards as the data input! There were no screens LOL Computers have come a LONG way but with all the advancement, different platforms, etc. so have all the problems getting all the systems to talk to each other.....diagnosing problems is a whole other issue. It is only going to get worse in my opinion.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
post #5 of 17 Old 04-09-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I have been in I.T. for 35 years so I have seen all the changes that have taken place as well. Geez, when I was taking computer science in university we were still using punch cards as the data input! There were no screens LOL Computers have come a LONG way but with all the advancement, different platforms, etc. so have all the problems getting all the systems to talk to each other.....diagnosing problems is a whole other issue. It is only going to get worse in my opinion.

Gotta have some hope these young kids getting into the field as time goes by will get better at diagnosing just like techs get better. I tell you my wife's been reading the manual and is totally hooked. She wants to go be a car tech now! She loves cars and tech, and now cars are all tech, how perfect she says.
What a
With all this troubleshooting with Lincoln I thinks she's qualified LOL. At least more than the poor tech at the dealership. Kind of feel bad, don't mean to make fun...
post #6 of 17 Old 04-09-2016, 02:47 PM

Unfortunately my experience with the younger I.T. professionals has not been so positive. In my generation, we analyzed, designed, programmed, tested, debugged and repeated until we made sure that everything worked flawlessly. These days they want to get everything built and out to the public as quickly as possible and skip a lot of steps thereby sacrificing quality and resulting in a lot more problems. With all these systems trying to talk to each other, it makes diagnosis very very difficult. Everyone starts putting the blame on the 'other' system. There are just too many variables. For example my bank (Royal Bank of Canada) has a mobile app which worked just fine, quickly and easily. A couple of weeks ago they come out with a new app, more graphics, pictures, etc. claiming better functionality. Well in the first week their customers (including me) were in an uproar - users could not sign onto the app, it timed out. If they could sign on then the app didn't function correctly, etc. Customers were unable to do their banking! And this from the largest bank in Canada! Why didn't they just leave things well enough alone or do a lto more testing? The old app worked...no one was complaning about it. Why fancy it up with pictures and fancy graphics which makes it run slower? I would rather have functionality over 'prettiness'.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
post #7 of 17 Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
That's outright silliness....really? a virtual butler.....in a CAR!!!!!! yeah I can see Bentley owners going to their dealership complaining the "Butler" keep screwing up the dry martini's and wants it reprogrammed LOL.....How stupid does it have to get before it starts to get better!....can't stop laughing here!

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Unfortunately my experience with the younger I.T. professionals has not been so positive. In my generation, we analyzed, designed, programmed, tested, debugged and repeated until we made sure that everything worked flawlessly. These days they want to get everything built and out to the public as quickly as possible and skip a lot of steps thereby sacrificing quality and resulting in a lot more problems. With all these systems trying to talk to each other, it makes diagnosis very very difficult. Everyone starts putting the blame on the 'other' system. There are just too many variables. For example my bank (Royal Bank of Canada) has a mobile app which worked just fine, quickly and easily. A couple of weeks ago they come out with a new app, more graphics, pictures, etc. claiming better functionality. Well in the first week their customers (including me) were in an uproar - users could not sign onto the app, it timed out. If they could sign on then the app didn't function correctly, etc. Customers were unable to do their banking! And this from the largest bank in Canada! Why didn't they just leave things well enough alone or do a lto more testing? The old app worked...no one was complaning about it. Why fancy it up with pictures and fancy graphics which makes it run slower? I would rather have functionality over 'prettiness'.

I had to get my wife to decipher, I'm only technical "by association" LOL.
She said in a time in her career she worked "systems integration", which in non geek speak apparently means making all different "systems" to play nice with each other. Hmm, sounds like fun, NOT! That's what she's fascinated with the car right now, she's geeking out on how all the systems in the car communicate and work together

My take on technology is in a completely different field. My businesses are machining and I've watched my father start the businesses with simple machines like punch presses, machines with buttons and levers. My staff needed only basic skills and training took an hour maybe. Then it started to move into CNC machining and more computer control Now our shops are filled with the most technology advanced laser machines, all highly computer controlled. I've flown all over Europe to source and be trained in the technology which I then in turn have the responsibility of training staff on these machines( so I guess I am VERY technical but only when it comes to my machines) I'm talking 10 million dollar machines that take up half a warehouse.

So now to train each guy in my shop is a huge investment. It requires higher skill and more time. Then after I invest in a guy and he gets good he decides this career is not for him or just decides to find another job..and I'm starting all over again. It's very frustrating and $ consuming for my businesses. Then there's the learning curves and literally million dollar mistakes as you go along.

I wonder if this sort of thing (turnover, low skill level) is common in the auto industry too. In that case I have less hope things will get better but I do still have hope, as the NY METS say "you gotta believe" LOL.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
That's outright silliness....really? a virtual butler.....in a CAR!!!!!! yeah I can see Bentley owners going to their dealership complaining the "Butler" keep screwing up the dry martini's and wants it reprogrammed LOL.....How stupid does it have to get before it starts to get better!....can't stop laughing here!

It's actually a little creepy if you think of it, some dude in your back seat.
But I love technology and it is pretty incredible if they pull something like that off.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Companies spend a fortune training their employees to learn technology. They need to provide an environment where the employees want to stay and make a career with them. At one time the longer the time you were employed with a company was looked at as a positive. Now many companies, especially technology oriented, look at employee longetivity as a negative as they think the person does not have entrepreneurial skills....in other words the more times you change employers is a good thing. Just seems crazy to me...guess I am getting too old.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List