LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-13-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sport Mode & paddle shifters

Find very little manual/video detail regarding sport mode & manual shifters. Seems this could be not only fun, but very useful in driving situations (like taking a corner a bit to fast) but hesitant as not sure OK even to switch modes while driving.

Yesterday, when switched from "S" to "D" while driving, didn't really feel like switched until stopped & restarted the engine. Are you guys changing modes while moving? Any help on basics appreciated.

Last edited by Katie; 09-13-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #2 of 17 Old 09-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I've switched a few times from S to D and back to S all while driving with no issues. Should be fine to do that while moving.

In S as soon as you start to use the paddle shifters, you then need to continue using them until you switch it back to D, also I'm pretty sure you can hit the S button again (while already in S) to "reset" it and it will be back in sport automatic mode.

You can use the paddle shifters in D to temporarily go up or down a gear and the transmission will adjust after a short time if your speed is too high or low.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-14-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
I've switched a few times from S to D and back to S all while driving with no issues. Should be fine to do that while moving.

In S as soon as you start to use the paddle shifters, you then need to continue using them until you switch it back to D, also I'm pretty sure you can hit the S button again (while already in S) to "reset" it and it will be back in sport automatic mode.

You can use the paddle shifters in D to temporarily go up or down a gear and the transmission will adjust after a short time if your speed is too high or low.
Thx . . feel more confident in switching! Have to try paddle shifters from D, also, but guess you wouldn't get the change in handling as with Sport.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
You can set D and S to be in whatever modes you want in the Vehicle Settings menu. You can change back and forth from D and S all you want while driving.

I have found that manually shifting an automatic is pretty useless, but if it amuses you, no harm.
M-E-L likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
You can set D and S to be in whatever modes you want in the Vehicle Settings menu. You can change back and forth from D and S all you want while driving.

I have found that manually shifting an automatic is pretty useless, but if it amuses you, no harm.
Think control of driving mode under vehicle settings is only available with the CCD option as it does not show as an option with my FWD without CCD.

Much prefer the feel of Sport mode, at times, so great can switch while driving. I do like the paddle shifters . .
post #6 of 17 Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Think control of driving mode under vehicle settings is only available with the CCD option as it does not show as an option with my FWD without CCD.

Much prefer the feel of Sport mode, at times, so great can switch while driving. I do like the paddle shifters . .
I cannot speak to the MKC since I have not had mine long enough. But on my 2013 MKZ, I got 3-6 MPG better mileage in normal mode over sport mode.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
I cannot speak to the MKC since I have not had mine long enough. But on my 2013 MKZ, I got 3-6 MPG better mileage in normal mode over sport mode.
Whoa! Thx for mentioning!! Haven't really found it preferable in general highway driving so don't think I'd choose it for primary option, but S handling definitely feels better to me on sharp exit curves & in tight traffic.

Last edited by Katie; 09-25-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
If you don't have CCD, S mode does not change the handling. All S mode does is change the throttle mapping and shift points.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-24-2014, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I believe I read that CCD is included in AWD and is an option on FWD. Can anyone confirm?
post #10 of 17 Old 11-24-2014, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think its an optional item on the FWD by included on the AWD. When I build a car, with nothing but basic package options, it shows as an optional choice with a FWD car, but is already part of the package with an AWD care (regardless 2.0 vs. 2.3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page