2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lurch and "clunk" when shifting from R to D

I've owned my MKC for one year. After about 6 months it started making a "clunk" sound with a slight shudder or lurch after backing down the driveway when shifting from R to D on a very slight hill. Dealer downloaded some fix codes but problem continues and is getting worse. Now happens on level ground when car is cold. Seemingly when car (transmission or engine?) are well warmed up the problem is not noticeable. Seems like the transmission is trying to start in 2nd then shifts roughly to first. Dealer seems mystified. Any one else with this problem or solutions?
post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am seeing this only when we hit the gas after we hit the drive button. If we was a second or two after hitting the button it seems to not shutter.

Shawn

2015 MKC
Ruby Red
Reserve
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
^^ I was informed by Lincoln engineers that the transmission hasn't fully engaged into drive. If I do a 3 count it won't happen and it doesn't. I informed them that the MKZ loaner I had didn't have this "problem" which they had no reply too. Go figure, I'm chalking it up to quality control issues. All in all, I'm happy with my MKC.

2015 MKC 2.3L AWD 18" Rims | Midnight Sapphire Metallic / Ebony | Select Plus Package | Blindside Monitoring w/ Cross Traffic Alert | Navigation | Panoramic Vista Roof | Power Liftgate | 11.20.2014 |

post #4 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Experienced the same problem & had it checked at dealership during 14K Service (02/16/16).
Dealership reprogramed the PCM & said they Test Drove car without experiencing condition. Drove home from dealership (35 miles) & it ran fine. Next morning backing out of garage the thumping into reverse & the drive returned until I drove 5+ miles and is continuing even after being driven another 1K miles.
Called dealership to say problem has not been repaired. Service Rep wants me to return leave vehicle overnight & return the next day to be with Technician when we start car to show him problem.
Going to schedule service for March 1st.

2015 MKC AWD 2.3L
Build Date 11/12/2014 (Alvarez Lincoln-Riverside, CA)
Purchased Date 12/15/2014 (Team Lincoln-Las Vegas, NV)
White Platinum/White Sand
Select Eqmt Group 101A
Power Liftgate
Select Plus Package
Note: New replacement Sirius Radio Antenna (TSB1500-84) Installed 06/08/2015
post #5 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
There is a distinct delay when choosing D to R.....remember this is not a mechanically connected trans to a shifter, most of these inputs are electronic and vacuum servo's....if a servo is a lil cold it takes a second to finish it's cycle....at least this is how I understand it.

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
There is a distinct delay when choosing D to R.....remember this is not a mechanically connected trans to a shifter, most of these inputs are electronic and vacuum servo's....if a servo is a lil cold it takes a second to finish it's cycle....at least this is how I understand it.
The shifting is via a motor under the hood that drives a cable connected to the shifter lever on the transmission itself.
The motor is near the firewall passenger side. The motor moves the cable in a similar manner as someone actually moving a shifter in the console.
Henderson MKC likes this.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat

Last edited by blankster; 02-28-2016 at 07:40 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
The shifting is via a motor under the hood that drives a cable connected to the shifter lever on the transmission itself.
The motor is near the firewall passenger side. The motor moves the cable in a similar manner as someone actually moving a shifter in the console.
So it's a motor,nice to know....I guess a slight delay happening with a motor/cable assembly...

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had this clunk on many vehicles, not just the Lincoln. Any time I park on a slight or steep incline, I always engage the parking brake. I never depend on the transmission to be the parking brake.

When I park on an include, I keep the brake pedal down, put it into park, keep the brake pedal held down and then do not release the brake pedal until I have engaged the parking brake. The vehicle doesn't move after I've done this and then there's no clunk.

When I get in the car to start it, I press the brake pedal down, turn off the parking brake and then put it in reverse before the vehicle has had a chance to move. I never get the clunk anymore. Now if I could just get my wife to do the same instead of relying on the park all on its own.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Actually the correct way for setting the parking brake is to press on the brake pedal, engage the parking brake and then shift into Park. This puts less strain on the transmission. And when getting ready to drive, engage the brake pedal, shift into gear, release the parking brake and then the brake pedal. I don't know whether this works on the base MKC but on the Reserve, you do not need to manually release the parking brake - just shift into gear and when you step on the gas pedal the parking brake automatically releases.
2015 MSM likes this.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2018, 07:08 PM

" On the Reserve, you do not need to manually release the parking brake - just shift into gear and when you step on the gas pedal the parking brake automatically releases"....I tried to explain this to a friend that drives same identical Reserve like mine...he insists he must release the parking brake manually, told him....just put it in gear and roll out, it will auto release....he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread! :-)

Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page