• 2 Post By dtd07

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Braking

I'll be using my new 2016 MKC for some mountain driving. I am just trying to understand engine braking in this vehicle since the set-up is a bit different from what I am used to. A Lincoln rep told me that if I pressed the "S" and didn't touch the paddles, the car would auto engine-brake for me as I descend the mountain. A second option would be to leave in "D", slow to the desired speed and tap the paddle to downshift. The manual indicates this provides "temporary" downshifting, which makes me wonder what that means. The manual and videos are a bit sparse on this topic, so I'd like to have a firm understanding before I come barreling down a snowy mountain! What have others been doing when descending steep grade for a few miles at a time?
post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
When you're in "S" mode,you can choose the gear you want....so going downhill in S and using the paddle shifter to select a lower gear will hold it till you upshift, pretty much.

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I think that "temporary" means that, while in "D", it will downshift and hold the lower gear until you push the gas pedal. Once you engage the pedal, it automatically upshifts again when needed.

(Formerly) 2015 MKC 2.3 AWD Reserve
Midnight Sapphire Metallic - White Sands/Espresso interior
THX | Tech Pkg. | Climate Pkg. | 19" Wheels
Build date: July 2014

post #4 of 5 Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
^ exactly....for prolonged engine braking, choose S,it will hold gear, unless you start to accelerate and will auto shift UP as you approach redline, but at lower speeds and for engine breaking, it's the way to go!
Note that in S, if you come to a stop (say, for a STOP sign) you have to upshift out of first into second using the peddle shift paddle, or it will hold gear to the very top of the rev band!
Do a bit of driving while in S without a trailer and get the feel of how it drives in S mode.... familiarity boosts confidence.

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
So the transmission has 4 options D (drive), D (temporary), S (sport auto) & S (manual). D is auto, nothing new there. D temp, gives you ability to change gears for a limited time, then it goes back to auto shifting. For when you need to pass without waiting for the auto downshift to kick in. S auto will auto shift for you but the transmission will hold the gears longer or will downshift a gear when you step on the break slowing you down and ready for the "apex exit". S manual is for manual shifting. To engage manual mode just hit the paddle after selecting 'S' and a "gear number" will appear showing you your current gear selection. In this manual mode you will need to up shift when at a stop but the transmission will downshift for you say when you slow down at a stop light/sign (auto downshift but not up shift) or you can downshift yourself . To get out of manual hit the D or S. Hope this helps.
LeeB and 5.0 Candy REDCS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page