How to use paddle shifters - Page 2 - Lincoln MKC Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
My understanding is that when 'S' mode is selected, the gear selected is held and you must use the paddle shifters to change gears just as with a manual transmission whereas in 'D' the gears will shift automatically if you are using the paddle shifters but neglect to change gears as necessary.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
post #12 of 19 Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
My understanding is that when 'S' mode is selected, the gear selected is held and you must use the paddle shifters to change gears just as with a manual transmission whereas in 'D' the gears will shift automatically if you are using the paddle shifters but neglect to change gears as necessary.

I believe (I don't use it much) if you select "S' the transmission will shift automatically using the shift points assigned to the "Sport" engine setting unless you use the paddles.. Using the paddles will cause the transmission to go into manual mode requiring the paddles to be used all the time.. I have "S" assigned to the firmer ride setting but engine performance at normal but I think it applies to performance also.
5.0 Candy REDCS likes this.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #13 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 11:08 AM

I tried 'S' mode yesterday. The shifting did take place automatically until I started to use the paddle shifters.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014

post #14 of 19 Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
I believe (I don't use it much) if you select "S' the transmission will shift automatically using the shift points assigned to the "Sport" engine setting unless you use the paddles.. Using the paddles will cause the transmission to go into manual mode requiring the paddles to be used all the time.. I have "S" assigned to the firmer ride setting but engine performance at normal but I think it applies to performance also.

In my '17 Reserve, I use S mode and sport suspension settings all the time. Occasionally I accidently hit a paddle and the trans will go into manual mode. I just hit the S button again, and the trans goes back to the automatic S mode.

2017 MKC Reserve AWD
White platinum w/Hazelnut leather interior
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package (Sync 3 v3.0)
Climate package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17
post #15 of 19 Old 01-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
I tried 'S' mode yesterday. The shifting did take place automatically until I started to use the paddle shifters.
Exactly right!....if in "S" mode and you do not use the paddle shifters, it maintains the predetermined shift points automatically....once you use the paddles you override that automation and the shifting becomes your responsibility.....if I get to town and I was using S mode but have used the paddles, I usually toggle back to "D" then back to "S" which places the trans in sport mode but shifts according to automation....best way I can explain this!

Speaking of paddle shifters: cannot understand what Lincoln engineers were thinking when they incorporated the paddle shifters to move freely with the steering wheel movements ( turning )....those things should ( like almost every other car with paddle shifters ) be stationary to the steering column....horrible design! there is NO VALID reason why they need to move with the steering wheel at all, anyone else notice this glaring annoyance? It is especially obvious to this design flaw when one's trans is placed in "S" mode and paddle shifters have been used...just don't make ANY sense at all

2016 MKC, Reserve. White Platinum Met Tri-coat.
Leather ebony interior.
Climate package
Technology package
2.3L GTDI ecoboost.
6-speed select SHIFT auto trans.
20" premium painted Alum wheels.
Equipment Group 300A.
Silver rust protection.
Xzilon exterior paint protection.
Weather Tech front and rear liners ....the rest is ALL Lincoln.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-07-2018, 01:00 PM

I disagree...makes perfect sense to me. The proper driving position is with hands and the 9 and 3 o'clock positions which gives the best access to the paddle shifters, When keeping the hands in this position and turning the wheel, the paddle shifters turn also and thus no need to remove the hands from the wheel for slight turns. If you are turning the corner, both hands are on the wheel doing the turn, so doesn't matter where the paddle shifters are located.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
post #17 of 19 Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Couple comments:
1. the use of paddles, D, and S has obviously been programmed to be foolproof. So I recommend getting used to it by trying all combinations and settings. Don't be afraid of high rpms- the software will not let you blow up your engine.

2. paddle actions are not taken by transmission quick enough to do a facsimile manual transmission. But it is the only way to select any fixed 'gear ratio' with this pushbutton thing. (not my favorite MKC feature, the lack of a shifter).

As an original buyer of the last true manual Lincoln, the 2000 LS Sport (15 years of service to the family), I weep when I paddle.

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
post #18 of 19 Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The guy who sold me my MKC said you had to use the paddle shifters when you pushed the "S" on the dash. I never thought that was correct, so I am glad to see that here. But since I do have CCD - what if my vehicle settings are already set to "Sport" - does anyone know if that makes a difference? The owner's manual is of no help on this topic.

2017 MKC
Reserve 2.3l Eco Boost AWD
Burgundy Velvet Metallic, Ebony
20" Wheels
Climate Package
post #19 of 19 Old 04-30-2018, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I do feel the difference in suspension, try it out in comfort and then switch to sport. I find that comfort mode things are slower to respond ( steering/acceleration). And you can use the paddles at any time even in "D" mode. You can down or up shift, then it will return back to auto drive within 3-5 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page