Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Wash and wax and....

17K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Faries 
#1 ·
Just washed and waxed snowball 2. She looks great, but I have noticed some rust colored specks in/ on the paint.[emoji15]
Anyone else have this? My first thought is that is rail dust from shipping, or from living neer a rail line. Anyone else experience this before?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

See less See more
#33 ·
country guy- dirt per se, does not really become evident in the clay bar, but the small particles it lifts, sure rear their ugly head....they look like lil minuscule balls embedded in the clay,I usually knead it almost at every section I go over,(a) it keeps it supple and (b) it give you a fresh "face" to contact the paint with....My Candy Apple Paint is not as bad as a black paint...but it's still a handful to maintain, which is why I usually use a fine 100% cotton lined car cover when I am not using it....keeping it clean, sealed, and waxed stops dust from setting and covering it in a white fine powder coating....My MKC with it's light colour paint is a champ at not showing any dirt (within reason)...easy to maintain and easy to keep looking good, I also find a light grey paint colour excellent for not showing general dirt....all my trucks were Arctic grey and we loved the once a month quick wash down.

#35 ·
I had similar tiny red spots on my white Infiniti. And when you say Rail Dust, you are on the right track.

What happens is that tiny metal bits get stuck in the clearcoat and rust, leaving red spots. Those bits were originally thought to be from railcar wheels when cars were shipped by rail to dealers throughout the country. Today, cars are shipped more by truck and the cars are often wrapped in plastic wrap during shipment. Today, those metal bits originate from a variety of sources, including asphalt itself, as well as steel-belted tires.

To treat this, all you have to do is get the metal bit out of the clearcoat. A claybar might do it, or you can use your fingernail or a manicurist's Orange Stick. Follow up with a cleaner wax to remove the rust, and you'll be good.

#36 ·
I know this is an MKC forum, but I wanted to share some photos of my detailed MKZ.

Briefly, this took 2 days. The first day was wash, clay body and wheels, then polymer sealant on body and wheels. Second day was interior clean and vacuum, exterior trim clean and dress, polish exhaust tips, leather and glass clean/dress, and finally dress the engine compartment.

Attachments

Reactions: Sublimetime86
#38 ·
Good job Toady....well done!

Reactions: 2015 MSM
#43 ·
Removing tree sap from your car's paint can be a daunting task, but it's important to address it as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage. Best way to remove tree sap from car paint How to get tree sap off car paint | Best method to remove tree sap from car paint and windows - use a clay block. Simply apply lubricant to the affected area and rub it gently with a clay bar until the juice is removed. Another effective method is to use a mixture of baking soda and water. Apply the mixture to a soft cloth and gently wipe off the juice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.